Shoreline Hose Reel gear

If your gears are weak or stripped on a Shoreline Hose Reel, there is a fellow in Southern California who makes a gear ‘milled’ from solid stock instead of injection molded:

John Delmatoff
 Jondel1234@yahoo.com

When my gear stripped last year, I purchased a gear and rivet kit from him for $75 and the the thing has worked flawlessly since then.

• Like 1

Scotty,

When I use the button to reel my hose in, it sounds as if the gears are stripped and clicking.  It will spool in with help from me. Is this what you experienced with yours?

Thanks,

Steven

19 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

If your gears are weak or stripped on a Shoreline Hose Reel, there is a fellow in Southern California who makes a gear ‘milled’ from solid stock instead of injection molded:

John Delmatoff
 Jondel1234@yahoo.com

When my gear stripped last year, I purchased a gear and rivet kit from him for $75 and the the thing has worked flawlessly since then.

I repaired my hose reel with John’s kit about 5 or 6 years ago. Need to be a superhero to install the SS rivets. I used a few standard aluminum rivets and it worked fine until I sold the Windsor

Duncan H

14 Entegra Anthem

• 1 year later...

I just rebuilt my reel with a gear from John. Thank you for sharing this information. The hardest part was working it out between the tank elbows. I had to flex the elbows apart to slip it through. I was very happy to be able to rebuild because it appeared that the new hose reels stood too tall to fit under the tanks.

• 4 months later...

I replaced my gear last month and John also told me the gear is the same for the power cord reel.  A guy at the park had the power cord issue and John's gear worked for him too.  Just remember to drill out the rivets on the opposite side for the power cord than the water hose. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, deputylynch said:

Has anybody ever made a video or have detailed instructions on what's involved in getting the reel out to replace that gear? 

Are you referring to the water hose or electric cord power reel?  If water reel, I had to remove the panel in my wet bay, but I cut it in half to make it easier to remove and then only had to remove one half of the panel. Next if I remember right is removing 4 nuts, bolts that hold the reel in place.  Remove the reel, drill out 4 rivets on the side where the gears are located and open the cover.  Snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring holding the broken gear in, replace w new gear and snap ring.  Grease it up.  Then I tested mine before replacing the cover and 4 new rivets to hold the cover.  Put the reel back in.  I think that was easiest w the hose pulled out. Pics below of what I took.  I think the hardest part of memory serves me right, was putting it back in and the 4 nuts due to tight access.  But overall it's a pretty straightforward job.  Let me know of I can help. Last pic shows a strip of gorilla tape hiding my cut. 

20211231_121644.jpg

20211229_155842.jpg

20211229_161838.jpg

20211229_154758.jpg

20211231_142201.jpg

Googled it and found this video on our site. 

https://youtu.be/wCFmLTa4y0k

I appreciate the help but I really don't want to cut any panels in half and want it to still look OEM. The video shows how to replace the gear on the rear power cord reel when you get it out which I can figure that out. My question is is how to get the water reel out without destroying the motorhome. 

@deputylynch

You'll have to bend/flex that panel if it looks like mine to remove the panel to get to the water reel.  It's doable. I did it once, but it's a pain and i worried I was gonna break the panel. It didn't break, but with a cut, it's a lot easier to remove. You will have to reach up and unhook all plumbing from behind the panel. Take pics and notes and don't be in a rush. 

Edited by Steven P