Leaky Ac Mount Gasket?

Hey folks we had a bunch of rain today and my bedroom ac is pouring water in. We have the recessed ceiling and right where the opening/filter and mount is for the ac water is coming coming in. 

It looks like its entering in-between the roof and the ac. What type of gasket or sealant is supposed to be there to stop water from getting in?

There is a rubberized gasket that is between your roof and the AC unit.

The 4 bolts that hold the AC unit down can come a little loose.

You may just need to tighten them down.

We had that a couple of years ago and now I check them a couple times a year.

There is a torq spec I am just not sure what it is maybe 50-75lbs.

It's not much you really don't want to compress the gasket all the way.

Give it a shot.

Just now, Romeo84 said:

Interesting. Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try it!

You would access them from the inside.

Remove the cover on the ceiling and you should see 4 really long bolts in the 4 corners.

Give them maybe one or two complete turns.

Shouldn't take much.

While you have the covers off you should look for gaps around the air ducts or any aluminum tape that has come loose.

Mine are so taped up that you can just about see yourself up there.

I sealed everything almost used a hole roll and increased my airflow through the ducts by probably 30%. 

Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

Our Signature has swing down decorative covers under the A/C units.  Remove two 7/16" bolts on the drives side and the entire cover swings down out of the way.  It's this way both front and back.  

Then you will have access to four 7/16" bolts (very long) that hold the A/C to the roof.  They are positioned 14" apart in a square pattern.  You will need a ratchet and very long extension to easily loosen and remove these.  

Get on the roof and remove the plastic A/C shroud.  Lift up the A/C unit carefully so as not to break the wires.  Prop it up with a 4x4 and scrape the old gasket off. 

Apply the new gasket and reinstall it carefully centering it over the duct.  If you have A/C water drains, install two new gaskets.  Just layer them one on top of the other.  You can use some sealant between the two gaskets if you like.  

Be careful not to overtighten the four 7/16" bolts. 

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25071-Universal-Conditioner-Gasket/dp/B000EDUTNQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=FYN96JKR3GXZ&keywords=air+conditioner+RV+gasket&qid=1650664108&sprefix=air+conditioner+rv+gasket%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-3  

Edited by vito.a

The torque spec for my new AC's was 40-50 INCH POUNDS, so not much. 

I occasionally had a problem with my rear AC leaking and would tighten the bolts.  Then the front started to leak so I bit the bullet and ordered new Gaskets and Drip pans.  I actually had to order 2 sets of gasket because the drip pan requires an addition thickness.  

The only way to change the gasket is to remove the AC, not hard.  When I did I actually found that both the front and the back had gaskets that were not aligned when they were stacked.  This was probably one of the reasons for the leaks although tightening the bolts did help.  I did this in 2020.

I actually installed 2 new AC last year. 

• Like 1

Hey folks spot on. Everyone. Tightened it down and drip stopped. One of the 4 bolts took 2 full turns b4 it even snugged up. Most have been bounching going down the road. 

I'm also just going to order new gaskets and install em. 

Thanks again guys!

20 minutes ago, Romeo84 said:

Hey folks spot on. Everyone. Tightened it down and drip stopped. One of the 4 bolts took 2 full turns b4 it even snugged up. Most have been bounching going down the road. 

I'm also just going to order new gaskets and install em. 

Thanks again guys!

Great news. Water is a camper killer.

Also remember that the gaskets don’t get sealed to the roof. One side of the new gaskets should have adhesive that attaches it to the underside of the AC unit.

Also, I’ve found through experience that Dometic branded gaskets are superior to the Camco “universal” ones. Dometic also sells a drain pan kit that includes the second gasket, new drain pans and cross-hose, and installation instructions. If you’re going through the trouble of disconnecting all the wiring and ductwork, it’s often worth it to replace the drain pans as well since they get brittle with age.

• Thanks 1