Big daddy

Guest Al redcay

When you need to use 110 volt devices and 110 volts is not available from a landline or you don't want to turn on your generator (if equipped).

An Inverter converts 12 volts DC to 110 Volts AC.  If your trailer has one, then you should have several outlets (not necessarily all) that can be powered off of battery when Inverter is turned on.  High amperage devices (microwave, electric oven, hair dryers) might consume more electricity than your Inverter is rated for.

Edited by DavidL

I leave ours on 24/7.  It has two functions.  One is to charge your house batteries and the second is to invert 12v from the house batteries into 120v AC to a few systems in the coach.  

Have you reviewed your owners manual to see what it says?

While in storage between trips I turn the battery cut-off to the off position. We have a residential fridge so the day before a trip I go to the storage lot to turn the battery cut-off to the on position and turn the inverter on. In 24 hours our fridge cools down to operating temp and uses less than 50% of the batteries. I leave it turned on until we put our RV in storage again.