Lines for Air guage

2004 Dynasty. Have a major air leak drivers side front. Appears to be from either the parking brake, or the air guage. I am guessing that area has connections for the guage, the air horn, the parking brake,  and brake pedal.

Compressor won't keep up and only gets to about 50 pounds.

I connect my shop air lines to air up the system. Get pressure to 120 lbs.

All bags stay inflated but I can hear a major leak in the left front area. It will lose all 120 lbs in a matter of minutes. Thinking broken line or fitting 

Going check connections in switch today as I can see small air bubbles after applying soapy water.

Will have to cut a bunch if zip ties to find the lines that  feed the guage. Hopefully I will not have to remove the dash.

All my air lines come up in front of the firewall and into the dash area, I have a large plastic cover screwed to the front of the firewall covering all the lines.  I took my cover off last year trying to trace some wire, Monaco sealed the cover with the black foam, easy to remove.  

Another member, Vanwill had a bad air leak and found it was his brake pedal(?) from memory.

When I put the plastic cover back I bought some thick foam window type seal and put on the cover for a good seal and easy to remove later. 

26 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

All my air lines come up in front of the firewall and into the dash area, I have a large plastic cover screwed to the front of the firewall covering all the lines.  I took my cover off last year trying to trace some wire, Monaco sealed the cover with the black foam, easy to remove.  

Another member, Vanwill had a bad air leak and found it was his brake pedal(?) from memory.

When I put the plastic cover back I bought some thick foam window type seal and put on the cover for a good seal and easy to remove later. 

Thanks will check it out.

When putting in air , do both gauges go up and then come down at roughly the same time? If they do then the leak is not inside the dash and is on the supply side of things. That large a leak will blow the bubbles away…hardly have time to form.

Not going to be easy to get to. Need to remove air line(s) from parking switch, feed back thru the floor under the armrest. Lots of cables in the way and the lines go thru the floor directly over the front run box with little room to work with between the FRB and the floor. Going to see if I can get new lines thru the floor on the side of the run box. 

Be lots easier than trying to use existing location.

26 minutes ago, Tim-AZ said:

I use an electronic leak detector. It works great in dark places where it's hard to see the bubbles. Check these fittings also on the firewall.

Tim 

Air brake fitting.jpg

Thanks.

Yes I gave a electronic leak detector. 

As stated above it is a busted line to the parking brake switch. Impossible to get to coming thru the floor on the armrest.

I am going to reroute the lines and cut as much if the old ones out that I can get to.

Are the air lines just standard PEX that one can get at a big box store?

Thanks

I'm not sure they are standard PEX size, they need to be DOT approved. 

I live near a large metropolitan area, Knoxville TN, and when I was working on my air leaks I went to Royal Brass and Hose, which carries all the fittings and sizes of tubing.   A large truck shop would also have them.  Need to ask for DOT approved tubing and fittings.  If you have time to wait you can source on the internet and save some money. 

If the line is only bad in one spot that you can get to you buy a Push To Connect repair union, cut line square and just put back together with a PTC fitting.  If you don't like using those you can get a compression type fitting but you need enough room to work to tighten those.   

After seeing how vulnerable all the air lines are for damage I decided to carry some spare tubing of the sizes used on my coach along with spare fittings.  I actually replaced all the fitting on my air tanks and kept the old for spare but then bough a variety of sized of the repair unions.   I did have one PTC fitting that I could not get to stop leaking so bought a compression fitting for that location and got it stopped.