Generator Start Battery

BigNick

As you guys may remember I added the new Cummins wireless AGS system just before storing the coach in December.  I'm not sure I have the sense wires hooked up correctly. I wonder which battery the positive lead to the genset start circuit comes from?  It would seem logical to me to start the genset from the chassis batteries. 

In my mind, I think I want to monitor house batteries, and it has the capability to monitor both. I just need to know which one starts the genset.  So if I'm running off the inverter and it pulls the batteries down I can charge them.   Anyway,   If the answer is "depends" , what would be a good test to figure it out?

2 minutes ago, Frank Bergamo said:

Have someone start the generator while you measure the voltage with a volt meter at the battery bank. It should drop slightly on the bank that starts the generator. Hope this helps.

Ok , I'll do that. 

I have thought of a different scenario and I want to present it to the group. I believe, but haven't proven the genset is starting from the chassis battery. I believe this because I was running the coach off the inverter the other day, (1rst time). Backstory on that is the refer could only run off shore power or generator, I wired it to an inverter receptacle in the basement and it runs great, now I can go down the road without running the genset and be confident the food is good. Anyway, as I ran the coach off the inverter I noticed the battery condition status on the AGS app didn't budge off full charge and my sense wire for house battery is connected to the genset start posts on the cabinet. This makes me believe these are chassis batteries because the Xantrex remote showed an almost complete discharged state for the house batteries. I started the gen normally from the start switch and recharged. The AGS didn't do its job in this scenario since I have it set to start the gen at 11.2. 

So, this brings me to the question. 

Where can I find a house battery sense location towards the front of the coach? 

Right now the closest place I can think of is where the batteries connect to the inverter/charger. Is there a location forward of this point so my wire run isn't so long?

Edited by BigNick

20 hours ago, BigNick said:

Where can I find a house battery sense location towards the front of the coach? 

Do you have an electrical bay underneath the driver's seat? That will have both chassis and house fuse panels. I have one bank of fuses labeled 'Domestic Hot' which bypasses the house battery switch and is always live.

Cheers,

Walter

1 minute ago, wamcneil said:

Do you have an electrical bay underneath the driver's seat? That will have both chassis and house fuse panels. I have one bank of fuses labeled 'Domestic Hot' which bypasses the house battery switch and is always live.

Cheers,

Walter

Thanks Walter, there is an electrical bay there. I'll get in there and noodle around. So, Domestic Hot would live unswitched House Battery power and a good place for AGS to sense house battery condition. This is a perfect spot because the wire run is only a few more feet from the current location. I suspected there might be house power in there but just had a hard time believing it would have been run all the way up there. Thanks again. 

4 hours ago, wamcneil said:

Cheers,

Walter

I looked but didn't noodle around with a meter. That's next. It didn't look to promising.  See pics.20220426_102307.thumb.jpg.00d4416b5cd99a3aa6183e8c673775d3.jpg20220426_102253.thumb.jpg.6593ef00f31a3b40155fceff8f3cc6e8.jpg