Water pump

sg47619

My water pump in my O1 Monaco runs, pumps water but won’t shut off and when I turn it off there is no water at the faucet there is no water. 

2 hours ago, sg47619 said:

My water pump in my O1 Monaco runs, pumps water but won’t shut off and when I turn it off there is no water at the faucet there is no water. 

If the pump runs, pumps water, then that is what it is supposed to do. If you turn it off, and you are not connected to shore water, then you won't have any. This is also correct operation. So that leaves one thing.....when the pump runs it does not shut off. If you have a leak, it will not shut off, or, if a Fawcett is open etc. The only way it will shut off is when the entire water system gets up to pressure and holds it. 

Any leaks or bleed down and it will come on intermittently, or constantly, depending on how big the leak/usage is. 

So, if the pump runs continuously, it may have an air lock someplace and the air needs to be purged or the pump is not building pressure to turn the internal pressure switch to off. Since you have not found any leaks "so far" then I would isolate the pump and test in while isolated to make sure it will pump water and shut off when it builds pressure.

Did it work and then this just happened or is the the first time you turned it on and this happened?  Makes a big difference on folks suggestions for help.

Was the coach winterized?? If so itis possible that the valves for water heater aare not positioned properly that will cause what you are experiencing. 

If it pumps water but doesn't shut off there are a number of things to check.  Is the pressure switch working?  Need to check pressure on the system when it is pumping to see if gets to about 40 Psi.  Is the pump bad?  Do as above and see if pressure is building to 40 Psi.  If both of these tests pass, then check the water inlet valve to see if it is leaking to allow water back into the fresh water tank.  They can leak between the city and closed position.

11 hours ago, Twomed said:

Did it work and then this just happened or is the the first time you turned it on and this happened?  Makes a big difference on folks suggestions for help.

Was the coach winterized?? If so itis possible that the valves for water heater aare not positioned properly that will cause what you are experiencing. 

Yes it was winterized and it pumped all the antifreeze out just won’t stop running 

These pumps are positive displacement diaphragm pumps with 3 working chambers and a swash plate driven by the motor. They also have the ability to store a (very small) amount of water under pressure internally and an internal pressure switch that switches the motor off when the output reaches around 40 psi. The fact that it keeps running indicates that either the pressure switch isn't working OR that there is a leak OR that the check valves in the pump are not functioning.

Since you see no leak, that leaves the pressure switch or the check valves. The check valves (a total of 6: one inlet and one outlet for each of the 3 working chambers) can be easily checked by connecting to city water. If one or more pairs of valves are bad you should be able to hear water rushing through them, and going back into the fresh water tank. Notice I said "pairs" of check valves, since both the inlet and associated outlet of a working chamber would have to fail for water to flow backwards through the pump.

I hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Have ALL of the winterizing valves been put back in the correct positions for normal daily use?

Yes there in there normal positions 

2 hours ago, Harvey Babb said:

These pumps are positive displacement diaphragm pumps with 3 working chambers and a swash plate driven by the motor. They also have the ability to store a (very small) amount of water under pressure internally and an internal pressure switch that switches the motor off when the output reaches around 40 psi. The fact that it keeps running indicates that either the pressure switch isn't working OR that there is a leak OR that the check valves in the pump are not functioning.

Since you see no leak, that leaves the pressure switch or the check valves. The check valves (a total of 6: one inlet and one outlet for each of the 3 working chambers) can be easily checked by connecting to city water. If one or more pairs of valves are bad you should be able to hear water rushing through them, and going back into the fresh water tank. Notice I said "pairs" of check valves, since both the inlet and associated outlet of a working chamber would have to fail for water to flow backwards through the pump.

I hope this helps!

Thanks I’ll hook it up to city water and see it I hear it 

Lots of good suggestions. If it's easy you could also dead end the output of the water pump by plugging off the discharge hose. (isolating the pump from the rest of the water system). What it should do is quickly rise to cut-out pressure and then stop running. 

Question: Your valve that selects city water or tank water. If it is turned to city water and city water is not connected, and you turn on your pump to pull water from the tank, it will run and not shut off due to pressure flowing out the city inlet. Check and make sure the selector is turned to your tank outlet and not turned to city outlet.

21 hours ago, sg47619 said:

Yes it was winterized and it pumped all the antifreeze out just won’t stop running