Coach drifting

Lenny D

Hi, I’m new so please bear with me if this subject has been discussed. I just purchased a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT .. I’m actually still driving her home to NJ from Fla. (Thank you Richard) .. I’m having a bear of a time keeping her in a straight line. I’ve reached out to other Monaco owners of the same year. What I’ve been getting back has all been pointing to one thing in particular. The unadjustable Shepard steering box. It’s been suggested that I have a TRW box along with a Watts Link installed .. Not so sure what the cost factor on this is yet but no matter, it has to be done. I’m getting exhausted and not enjoying my ride as I feel I should. I was originally going to have a Safe-T- Plus installed but I’m hearing others did this with minimal improvement. I am also hearing that the Safe-T-Plus puts a strain on the power steering pump .. Of course the fact remains that I am a newbie. So there’s that .. Truth be told, I have been getting used to the drift and learning the steer formula for lack of a better term, but this will be the first thing to have done (if I can find a local shop to do the work) . Does anyone have any suggestions or feelings on this ? …. TYIA. 

Lenny,

Here is an excellent thread on what you’re experiencing. And @vanwill52 is our resident expert on Monaco chassis issues, although certainly not the only one. 

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/3467-roadmaster-8-airbag-suspension-h-frame-movement-and-resulting-wandering/#comment-38152

Agree, great threads on here that have been a huge help. I’ve done the TRW Box, front watts, front sway bar, rear cross bars and will be installing rear watts in the next few weeks 

Our coach is much shorter, I think you’ll discover with the Box, Watts, proper tire pressure, ride height, and good alignment, you’ll find driving bliss. 

Lenny, your Windsor had the Sheppard Steering box removed back on 6/21/2017 and a TRW Steering box installed at Josam's in Orlando. That information is on my long chronological list of repairs, upgrades and modifications that I gave you before leaving Flagler Beach.

Based on what Van Willaims has done with his research on coach wandering years ago the only thing that will solve it completely is a Front Watts Link installation. Your Windsor has a set of cross bars on the rear that I had purchased from Van and also had installed by Josam's at the same time the TRW Steering box was installed.

The Monaco Watts Link is one of the item's I had written down on the yellow sheet of paper as suggested items to purchase sometime if you so choose.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the info on this subject. Richard, I reread the list you provided me and I missed the steering box replacement first read. I will look into having the Watts link installed and possibly the TRW set more to my liking when we get home. I'm still on the hunt for a good, reliable RV shop in my area. 

Thank you again for the 'hand holding' as I go through the learning curve of being a newbie in this fantastic group of knowledgeable folks. 

Happy motoring is right around the corner. 

7 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Kinda grasping here, but have you checked tire pressures?

Welcome to monacoers!

- bob

Hi Bob... My tires are running at <103 and 105> up front right now. Rears at driver side are <103 & <<(pressure not transmitting from inside tire but we know it was checked before we left and it was good). Passenger side is 103>> and 101> . I currently do not have a portable compressor to adjust pressure as I am just taking her home for the first time. I will be giving her all the TLC she wants and needs once I get back. Shes been well taken care of and I plan on giving her what shes used to. Shes 20yrs old. Shes a senior citizen in coach years. Lol... Thanks Bob. If you have any suggestions to make my ride any less 'drifty' I'm all eyes. 

1 hour ago, Lenny D said:

I'm still on the hunt for a good, reliable RV shop in my area.

Don't discount a good reliable truck shop in your area.  RV shops tend to hold your coach for a long time waiting for repairs.  If it's a chassis issue consider the truck shop route.  If it's an unsolvable house issue consider the RV shop.  Lots of issues you can fix yourself if you're mechanically inclined.

There's a "Monaco Gathering" each winter in FL at Tampa Lazy Days Resort.  Being a newbie we HIGHLY RECOMMEND you attend.  It was a real eyeopener for us.  There's more info on past year's gatherings here in the forum.  -

8 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Our coach is much shorter . . .

JD, Quote is for attention.  I noticed your signature lists a Ford Raptor toad.  There's a lengthy thread on irv2 about a guy's Raptor that caught fire while being towed.  The fire took out the truck and his coach.  He's blaming Ford and Ford says 'not us'.  Lots of finger pointing.  He seems to be the only one - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ford-raptor-flat-tow-fires-578331.html

- bob

3 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Don't discount a good reliable truck shop in your area.  RV shops tend to hold your coach for a long time waiting for repairs.  If it's a chassis issue consider the truck shop route.  If it's an unsolvable house issue consider the RV shop.  Lots of issues you can fix yourself if you're mechanically inclined.

There's a "Monaco Gathering" each winter in FL at Tampa Lazy Days Resort.  Being a newbie we HIGHLY RECOMMEND you attend.  It was a real eyeopener for us.  There's more info on past year's gatherings here in the forum.  -

JD, Quote is for attention.  I noticed your signature lists a Ford Raptor toad.  There's a lengthy thread on irv2 about a guy's Raptor that caught fire while being towed.  The fire took out the truck and his coach.  He's blaming Ford and Ford says 'not us'.  Lots of finger pointing.  He seems to be the only one - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ford-raptor-flat-tow-fires-578331.html

- bob

Thanks for heads up.

I read through it, and it’s short on details. I will say, it’s a little unnerving putting the truck in neutral tow. After it “dings” and says it is in neutral tow, I’ll open the door each time again just to check. 

From the get go I was concerned about battery voltage. All the actuators to hold it in neutral tow have to stay active, they need voltage. I installed an RVI charger from the start and everything has worked flawlessly.

Raptors are just F150 on steroids. I suspect that aftermarket lights or radios could cause a draw and if the battery isn’t kept up, then the truck will fall out of neutral tow. 

Edited by JDCrow

Someone just commented on alignment. It is surprising how much that can make a difference if it is out of alignment where adjustments can be made (only some links are adjustable)

Can you describe the wandering? Is it wind? Road crown? Constant left to right without any outside forces? Getting passed by trucks?

Knowing how it is wandering is really important for knowing what is good advice vs. setting up the parts cannon approach.

5 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Lenny, your Windsor had the Sheppard Steering box removed back on 6/21/2017 and a TRW Steering box installed at Josam's in Orlando. That information is on my long chronological list of repairs, upgrades and modifications that I gave you before leaving Flagler Beach.

Based on what Van Willaims has done with his research on coach wandering years ago the only thing that will solve it completely is a Front Watts Link installation. Your Windsor has a set of cross bars on the rear that I had purchased from Van and also had installed by Josam's at the same time the TRW Steering box was installed.

The Monaco Watts Link is one of the item's I had written down on the yellow sheet of paper as suggested items to purchase sometime if you so choose.

Dang wish I bought my coach from you. I want logs ands a handbook lol. All I got was keys. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1