And you think you have it bad there, eh?

oops. What did I start....

Oklahoma Oil and Gas Drilling Intents and Completions | Drilling | tulsaworld.com

1 hour ago, Bob Schmeckpeper said:

Better be careful, you may get reprimanded for a post like that.  

Guys….  We banned Brandon references and such 

For the sake of harmony….and also to keep the “Report” box from filling up needlessly…..as that just makes work for us….please back off a little.

Thanks for understanding…..

11 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

For the sake of harmony….and also to keep the “Report” box from filling up needlessly…..as that just makes work for us….please back off a little.

Understood. No worries.

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Tom,

Difficult to talk about fuel prices without discussing reasons.

BTW, Tulsa regular just hit $3.999!

Ed

1 hour ago, saflyer said:

Tom,

Difficult to talk about fuel prices without discussing reasons.

BTW, Tulsa regular just hit $3.999!

Ed

Yes….but meme’s that have political overtones and also take positions that reflect one side of the aisle or criticize one side are not allowed.  

I’ll offer this as an aside….this was discussed at length many times on the original forum.  Most Monaco motor homes have differing set points for the 5 - 6 upshift.  We have had discussions, ad infinitum, on why “Well mine is set here and that is what everyone else’s should be.”  Ain’t necessarily so.  Talking to folks that have the SAME engine as mine, ISL425, in a Dynasty and found out that there was about a 3 MPH difference in the set points.  The reason….the rear axle ratio and the overall weight.  Same tires of course, save the Tag on the Dynasty.  

The Dynasty came with a standard 425 as well as an optional 500HP.  The final drive ratio was 4.78 : 1
The Camelots came with the standard 425 ISL and the rear end ratio is 4.30 : 1.  
Cummins tech support says the “sweet spot” for fuel economy is 1,250 RPM.  
IF you do the math or use common sense, the 5-6 shift point on the Dynasty will be lower.  And that is how the Allison TCM is programmed.  

Bottom line,…mine shifts around 60/61 if on a level road and medium or light throttle.  The Dynasty will shift lower….maybe 56/57. So, in essence, driving a MPH faster should give you the best economy.  There are a lot of published papers from some “experts” and the general rule of thumb….you lose about 1/10 MPG for every 1 MPH faster.  I started slowing down many years ago.  Trips take a little longer, but you can see or perhaps, take in, more scenery the slower you go.  Also, I can tell a difference in the “processing” time from when I started driving the Camelot in 2009 compared to now.  There is a medical reason.  Your eyes are not as sharp and your visual acuity slows down.  The best explanation that my Ophthalmologist gave was a major league hitter.  When his eyes start to slow and he can’t “see”or judge the ball, his batting average goes down.  I use the defensive driving technique of “scanning” as I drive.  Many years ago, I could identify “something”, now my eyes or the “whatever is firing” sensors run slower.  Unfortunately, so,does the brain,  I have to be careful NOT to try to precisely identify an object but make note of it….without the details that I could pick up before.  My distance vision is only slightly corrected in one eye as I have a very minor astigmatism in one,  For all practical purposes, I can watch a football game or a basketball game or shoot without any correction.  But, it takes me longer to process and identify.  Thus driving a little slower helps me process and I think I’m a better, more defensive driver.  5 years ago, I sent through the Ron Fellows Corvette High Speed driving school, which also had a LOT of emphasis on normal and defensive driving.  So, I ain’t exactly a novice….and I know my reflexes have slowed a bit, but am not a 90 YO.

OK…DW also likes to see the country….and she likes me driving a bit slower.  Bottom line, I have come down from driving 68 MPH to 61/62 on an Interstate.  

I drove 1000 miles in back to back outings.  From Raleigh to Asheville and to Elkin and back to Raleigh.  600 miles.  A few days later, Raleigh to the Charlotte Motor speedway in Concord.  The mountain trip also included going up and down the infamous East coat Black Mountain grade.  I averaged (fuel meter and calculated) 8.5 MPG on the Asheville trip and a phenomenal 8.8/8.9 on the .Charlotte trip.  AC was on maybe 25% of the time.  I would’ve been in the mid to upper 7’s  when driving a few miles over the speed limit.  The economy setting on the Allison does 2 things.  First, in town, it shifts at a lower RPM to get you in a higher gear quicker.  Second, it reduces the 6-5 downshift.  The economy mode 5-6 upshift and the standard “performance” speed is the same.  60/61.  

On those two trips, I had to bump the cruise up a MPH faster when in the hillier section of NC.  But the economy mode will keep the Allison in 6th down to 55 or so.

Bottom line….I saved $$.  1000 miles at my previous speeds….2 mph over or 67, would have been maybe 7.8 MPG or 128 gallons. Using 8.6 MPG, I used 116 or saved 12 gallons or around $60 as NC diesel was in the high $4.9x range.  I also had more quality time with DW and my GD….

SO….diesel is going up.  Lots of reasons…..and you can look them up.  AAA this morning says the National Diesel average of $5.50 compared to $3.115 a year ago.  Draw your own conclusions…..but there will be an argument against whatever reason you attribute that to….

We just had missionary friends from Mexico visit us last week.  They were surprised that diesel was now more in the US than Mexico.  Which is about $4.30/gallon now in Mexico.