2007 Dynasty Queen zone 1 a/c has no power

Go to solution Solved by Hypoxia,

On 5/12/2022 at 9:13 AM, Tom Cherry said:

Great…..at the risk of “dissing” your understanding.  You now have the rear AC working, but you no longer, assuming  the AESS is the culprit, have or can operate your washer/dryer….which my DW would go bonkers without.  Frank is a valuable resource.  We talked yesterday and he pointed out the design flaw with this system.  It actually is not a Monaco issue, but an Intellitec problem.  That module was never designed for FLA switching (Full Load Amperage).  It also doesn’t address,,from a real world, the toggling back and forth….if I understand.  Since the primary is the W/D, there if the potential, and I assume others have reported this, for the W/D to reduce the current draw during cycles and then you have intermittentn switching ON of the AC and then back off.  That, PROBABLY, results in contact erosion and reduces the life or makes it intermittent.

@Hypoxia has commented and for $8X, you can replace it.  BUT…assuming that Intellitec has not “improved” the design, the EITHER/OR (WD or AC) rule should apply and you can “drive” on.  Otherwise, you risk failure again.

@Frank McElroy has also commented and offered an option,  which is to eliminate the AESS and connect both loads, AC & W/D is a simple approach.  The only Caveat is that there has to be an UNBROKEN RULE.  TURN OFF AC (set to OFF Mode) WHEN USING WASHER DRYER.  Now, the Furnace can be, of course used since it is the AquaHot.

If you want a fool proof solution, that eliminates the “mental challenge” of the EITHER/OR, then, for around $40 in parts (Amazon), you can replace the AESS with a 30A SPDT Contactor and use a simple toggle switch to select W/D or AC.  I will, offline, provide you with the parts numbers from Amazon and a circuit.  This is not complex,  If you switches the loads, you should be able to handle it.  The Primary is NOW AC and that goes to the NC contact.  The W/D is secondary and when you turn on the toggle switch, you energize the relay coil and the W/D has power.  

BE AWARE…..the elimination or replacement of the AESS is a “modification” to the original Monaco design…..which many of us do or have done as we believe our approach is equivalent to or is an improvement….AND we have, based on our knowledge or research or with the help of an “expert” made the decision and it meets NEC and/or RVIA standards.  I only say this as I dealt with too many product liability lawyers during my career when I was involved in design.

THE SECOND THING…. This was an education for me, and I hope others.  It also, like another recent Dometic problem, points out that even in the same model as well as in the same year, one can NOT make assumptions or try to help trouble shoot another poster without FULLY understanding that what was done in, say MY 2008, MIGHT (often is) different in MY 2009.  So, without the prints for both MY as well the Owners Manual, the “Mine is like this…yours should be” logic can be wrong.  I really wonder how marketable some of the seemingly trivial changes or upgrades in the next or subsequent years, that I and others now know, will be…..but we keep learning…

Good Luck.  Let us know what you decide to do for a functional system…as you have eliminated the operation of your W/D now….

I have order a new AESS to replace our old unit. Do not use washer with rear A/C on will be displayed on washer. This should care for the issue.

Thanks again for all who helped educate me.