Any of you guy's....

1 hour ago, scottjo02 said:

Alemite B6239 Hydraulic Push-Type Adapter" that solves the problem for me. It has a very small diameter neck that will go in the narrow opening in the joints . . .

Priced from $40 (USMegaStore) to $97 (Walmart).  Shop wisely my friends!

https://usmegastore.com/product/alemite-b6239-hydraulic-push-type-lubrication-adapter?msclkid=368d343aa70119be8c03564401f388bf

- bob

I’d like to see the type of ramps you all are using.  That’s still my hurdle preventing more work than I handle.  Jack stands limit what I can get to.  I wish I was 110 and could skate front to back….. let’s just say THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN.😂😂. I’m thinking I need a minimum of 6” ramps.

I’d rather buy air jacks and place the blocks vs driving on ramps but that’s probably cost prohibitive.

thanks for sharing 

37 minutes ago, MHRookie said:

I’d like to see the type of ramps you all are using.  That’s still my hurdle preventing more work than I handle.  Jack stands limit what I can get to.  I wish I was 110 and could skate front to back….. let’s just say THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN.😂😂. I’m thinking I need a minimum of 6” ramps.

I’d rather buy air jacks and place the blocks vs driving on ramps but that’s probably cost prohibitive.

thanks for sharing 

I'm in the same boat, I can't squeeze under the axles even if fully aired up and jacks down. 

There was a thread on the IRV2 forum that had examples of ramps.  I copied one that looked like it would work, I made six of these, one for each wheel.

I used 2X10" boards.  Cut 48", 42", 36", 30".  Stacked and screwed together.  I added a block at the end of 4 of them for the rear wheels so when I back up it acts as a safety stop. 

I was actually surprised how easy my rig backed up on the ramp.  Once up in the air I could crawl front to back.  Makes working under the coach safer and easier. 

• Like 1

I will be 84 in July and still do all the work on my 21 year old Coach. Not hard at all. Hate getting everything ready and then the clean up and putting everything away at the end. I jus keep a 6 pack in the frig's a reward when I am done. Get my oil at Walmart and return the old when done.

we don't use the coach much anymore due to wife's health, but it is always ready to go in case we need to leave.

Stay safe and be happy

Busyguy

• Like 5

ok so I finally got my "LOCK n lube" for my grease gun, tried it on two fittings, my initial take is they sell two different models short or long, I bought the long one, there can be some issues in a tight space however like they say once its on its not coming off, it seals really well on the small headed zeros with no leak, I think if I find I need the shorter one I will just buy another grease gun and by the short one for it, so far its gonna be worth the $30 investment

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

Please remember to block the front wheels when your unit is on ramps. Do those who constructed ramps  use 4 ramps? One for each of the duallies.

When I had to work on my air system I needed the whole rig up so I made 6 ramps.  I think supporting all 4 wheels on the rear is important so the tires are not stressed.  JMHO

What about the tag? BuIebird owners have built ramps that cover all the rear axles.  I could look for the plans but the lumber is on edge with through bolts. Works great but very heavy.  Expensive. Takes up lots of storage space. One can buy portable wheel lifts but far too expensive 

Edited by birdshill123

4 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

Please remember to block the front wheels when your unit is on ramps. Do those who constructed ramps  use 4 ramps? One for each of the duallies.

Yes, all drive axle tires are supported. 

I also support my tag axle tires, others don't.

Y'all are impressive!  I'm in my thirties and just dropped off my coach for a grease service (among other things).  I do other things, such as change my own oil, but I've just gotten tired of grease.

22 minutes ago, Adam_C said:

Y'all are impressive!  I'm in my thirties and just dropped off my coach for a grease service (among other things).  I do other things, such as change my own oil, but I've just gotten tired of grease.

Gee, I'm not sure I would have admitted to that on this board 🤔!

Lot of tough senior citizens in this crowd!!

• Haha 1

Ben, I learned a long time ago to compare the cost of a service to what you make per hour.  If you do better working a couple hours instead of doing the work yourself, then it pays to let the experts do it.

Now with coaches you have to factor in the joy of working on your baby and knowing it is done right, plus the added benefit of being familiar with things when they go wrong.  Plus you get to buy a lot of cool expensive tools!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

Ben, I learned a long time ago to compare the cost of a service to what you make per hour.  If you do better working a couple hours instead of doing the work yourself, then it pays to let the experts do it.

I don't have that gene in me!

I've always been.... "If I can do it, I'm doing it!"

I also have never forgotten a thread I read on IRV2 a few yrs back, where a member took his DP to one of those fast lube/ oil, chains, year after year.

One trip, he lost power and heard his driveshaft banging around, taking out part of his differential housing.

They nailed it down to a bone dry, destroyed U-joint!

One thing I did change in the last few years is I'll no longer waste 3hrs searching for a tool I know I have!

Half hour, I'm in the car heading to a store for a new one!

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Adam_C said:

It’s hard for me to find all those Zerk fittings when I grease her, it would be hard to find a service facility that I would trust to find them all.

• Like 1

I love cool tools. Figure that if doing it myself the first time pays for the tools, the next time is free as is my time these days. If someone else can do it, I can too, so far. I probably would not buy a bus lift eventhough that would be super cool :), maybe on an auction when the bubble bursts. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

I don't have that gene in me!

I've always been.... "If I can do it, I'm doing it!"

That’s pretty much my stand point also, a few years back an injector tip broke off I’m my wife’s 6.0 Powerstroke, so after some self education I removed the engine and tore it apart and fixed it! 
After about 40’xxx miles she’s still run down the road!

DBA48A17-48EB-46C8-8E5D-66EBEE1F4A91.jpeg

D2300122-612F-416F-B605-891CC5EE95FC.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Jeff, that's good. How is the truck doing?

Gary 05 AMB DST

It doing great, put on about 40’xxx miles since I’m repaired it!

10 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey Jeff im truley impresed when i had to work on those 6.0 ‘s i always pulled the cab, cause that bringin the engine thru the front was WORK!👍👍👍

Thanks, if I’d had a lift I would have done it that way also, it took me about a month start to finish.

E9A83C9E-13D6-4D22-9FAF-6F1866E52689.jpeg

06600CB5-7367-4A55-8168-3899CDCBD2E1.jpeg

• Sad 1

Just changed my oil and all filters for the first time. All went smoothly, glad i took the time to do it myself. Now i need to learn how to grease it? Don't want to miss anything.  Is there a chart or diagram in the manual? Should I get a air grease gun,and 3 pumps per zert?  Thanks for the advice. 

1 hour ago, 4rickyg said:

Just changed my oil and all filters for the first time. All went smoothly, glad i took the time to do it myself. Now i need to learn how to grease it? Don't want to miss anything.  Is there a chart or diagram in the manual? Should I get a air grease gun,and 3 pumps per zert?  Thanks for the advice. 

In the download section there are 3 files under Chassis/lubrication

https://www.monacoers.org/files/category/26-lubrication/

All are important, I usually lubricate my chassis twice a year.  Same with the PacBrake, inspect and lubricate a couple times a year. 

Also, up until last year I just crawled under the coach as best I could to reach everything, but last year I had to work on my air system so I finally made a set of ramps which allows me to completely drop air and still have room to get under the coach and the axles.  Much easier to service. 

I don't use an air or electric grease gun but contemplating getting an battery operated one, my neighbor has one and it works great. 

Lots of good info in the files section, pays to take a couple hours just to see what's available. 

I wouldn't buy an air powered gun unless your willing to spend the $$ on a good one. I bought a cheap one shortly after I purchased the coach. Tried it a couple of times, and havent brought it out since. Instructions (if you could call them that), didn't even mention what air pressure to use.

I've heard good things about battery operated guns.