Any of you guy's....

I used to do my own greasing but after a recent episode of going into heart failure and being locked up in a cardiac unit for a week I am cutting back on my project work. For years my son, a certified Cummins, Allison and Spartan technician did all my maintenance. I just concentrated on lubing the U joints periodically in between services.

My last venture doing the U joints found me being a Chinese contortionist laying on my back under the coach. Something caught my eye and it was a coral snake who coiled up 2 ft from my head. I had no way to exit quickly so I laid still and he moved away. Thank God.

I don't get along well with snakes and was once bitten by a pygmy rattler on the last day of a Monaco rally. The rattler was a stow away that somehow got into a basement compartment of my coach via a box I had sitting outside on the ground. Between that snake bite, nearly bitten by a coral snake in the face not to mention the brown recluse spider bite I had to endure I am not a big fan of wallowing around on the ground. The spider bite happened when I was servicing my car. The little jerk was hiding inside my mechanics coveralls.

These episodes I believe were all a sign from God saying " Chris, stay clear of servicing your vehicles ".

Ironically I have been in a cat and mouse game with a big copperhead on my property. He always shows up when I do not have my Judge ( 45 cal revolver loaded with 410 shotgun shells ). Makes me feel like the Coyote chasing the  roadrunner.  The joys of living in Florida where the land is populated with creepy crawling hazards that likes to interfere with your day. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Forgot to mention, I use a Dewalt 20 V grease gun when servicing my farm tractor, coach, show trailer, open trailer, Kubota RTV, etc.

Best investment I ever made. I bought it since I have a huge pile of other Dewalt 20v tools. Works awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCGG571M1-20V-Cordless-Grease/dp/B00FL2SOXW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3TVKNI6KXRKDE&keywords=dewalt%2Bgrease%2Bgun%2B20v%2Bkit%2Bwith%2Bcase%2Band%2Bbattery&qid=1652969566&sprefix=dewalt%2Bgrease%2Bgun%2B20v%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-2&th=1

• Thanks 2

Chris,

Try baiting the Copperhead into a trap.  You can use a minnow trap if you already have one.  Use "Nothing But Mice" for the bait, or even live bait if you can find some.  Small toads, lizards, etc.

Guest Ray Davis

We have copperheads around here too.  Occasionally I catch one out in thr open while mowing. On a tractor style riding mower you don't have much chance of catching up with one, but on a real good zero turn mower the snake don't stand a chance.  That old snake becomes a chopper head real quick. 😈

Edited by Ray Davis

Just did an oil change on the HR / ISC. 

61vu5hU6QVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0VTC8/

$10.65.  This thing is the cat's meow, the bee's knees, the bread's butter.  It is my kwan (ok, that might be a stretch) . . . .

The large part screws directly into the valve cover replacing the oil fill cap.  It screws in so it's ultra stable.  I was literally DUMPING oil in from gallon jugs and, because it's a foot above the valve cover, starting the pour was ez-pz.  The smaller part has threads inside and out.  The inside threads (naturally) match the larger funnel's threads. 

- bob

Edited by cbr046

All the years being a mechanic when it came to lubing a chassis there are times its like a easter egg hunt, other times iits anything that moves has a zerk fitting. If that still leaves a shadow then in my owners manual there is a page that shows all the lube points😎

Guest Ray Davis

I don't have enough room over my engine for the funnel, wish I did.

What I do is I use 2 step ladders with a 2x10 across the tops where I place a 5 gal bucket of oil and let it siphon down  into the engine.  This takes awhile, the oil is thick, so I go do other things for a while.

I am in my early 60’s and I don’t like crawling around in the ground unless I have to. I will do any repairs and parts installs as needed, but when it comes to the lube and oil changes, I leave it to pros. We are lucky as our local oil change place specializes in big rigs and RV’a. They do a complete lube including joints each year when I get the oil changed. My only gripe is the excess grease that gets slung over the under carriage when done. They use Rottela 15-40 and grab me an oil sample while draining old oil. When I weigh out my time materials and aggravation vs money spent, the $230 for the oil change and lube is a win for me.

I just paid $355 for an oil change. I supplied the fuel filters and I lubed it myself. I don't trust others to lube my motorhome. Do they just give you two squirts per zerk or do they look for the ooze? Are they aware of the correct way to lube the slip yoke? What about the slack adjusters / S cams?  Other than filters, that's the only maintenance I'll do. The MH just seems to get closer to the ground yearly. I'm 71, this is my first (bought new) and last MH. Hard wired and no DEF. Love it!

Gary 05 AMB DST

Edited by Gary 05 AMB DST
more information

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Garage Monster said:

Not a waste of my time. I get the list every day and scan for all topics that might help me or that I might have an answer for.

“Scan a list every day” but we’re at day 22 of this thread??? Granted it’s taken several detours from the original… crawling under the MH so what change in the title would you suggest to not waste your time?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, jacwjames said:

In the download section there are 3 files under Chassis/lubrication

https://www.monacoers.org/files/category/26-lubrication/

All are important, I usually lubricate my chassis twice a year.  Same with the PacBrake, inspect and lubricate a couple times a year. 

Also, up until last year I just crawled under the coach as best I could to reach everything, but last year I had to work on my air system so I finally made a set of ramps which allows me to completely drop air and still have room to get under the coach and the axles.  Much easier to service. 

I don't use an air or electric grease gun but contemplating getting an battery operated one, my neighbor has one and it works great. 

Lots of good info in the files section, pays to take a couple hours just to see what's available. 

Be careful in using a power grease gun.  TRW doesn't recommend it on their gearbox.  The high pressure will blow grease past the internal seal and contaminate the power steering hydraulic fluid.