TV Signal Switcher

Guest Ray Davis

On many coaches the Previous Owner removed equipment leaving cables & wires for you to figure out.  One thing I would do is to try not useing the booster,  your jack antenna has its own booster.  Antenna should have come with a 12v power injector to get power up to the antenna.  You can buy a cheap wire tracer, I bought this one at Lowes.   https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-Multi-Purpose-Kit-Analog-Test-Meter/50278117    This will let you inject a tone on one end of a coax and find the other end, label those ends and begin to make some sense of the mess.

Southwire Multi-Purpose Kit 1 Amp Analog Wire Tracer Specialty Meter

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Posting on an existing thread is probably better, makes it easier to search for specific problems.

Not sure on a 2005 Dynasty

But many coaches have a Box Of Many Buttons (BOMB), the box receives the signal from different inputs and sends it out to the TV locations.   In my case the box is in the overhead compartment on the passenger side, this is also where my OTA amplifier is.   I have a mess of cables up there also. 

So in my case I can choose for an input between Satellite, Cable, Over the Air antenna, VCR.  I can then select which TV to get the signal.  Depending on your TV you may have to select where you are getting a signal. 

Do you have a BOMB. 

One thing you might try is o find the OTA cable and connect it directly to the TV to make sure you are getting a signal.

Jim, on a side note, how is your box wired? Since I had to get a new one, it came with bare red & black 12v wires.

This is the box I have http://www.discountmobilevideo.com/items/item628.htm

Flexvision AVCC530 which is discontinued

Has the inputs in the rear and the front has the selection for the which TV you want to broadcast to. 

There is no 12 volt input on mine.

Which box did you get????  Could the 12V wires be for an internal amplifier for OTA antenna? 

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

This is the box I have http://www.discountmobilevideo.com/items/item628.htm

Flexvision AVCC530 which is discontinued

Has the inputs in the rear and the front has the selection for the which TV you want to broadcast to. 

There is no 12 volt input on mine.

Which box did you get????  Could the 12V wires be for an internal amplifier for OTA antenna? 

Mine looks like the one Steve P posted. I’d take a pic, but it’s winterized and covered.

Guest Ray Davis
7 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Posting on an existing thread is probably better, makes it easier to search for specific problems.

Actually I think it's the prefered way of late.  Funny, we used to call it hijacking, things change tho, so we gotta roll with it.  Seems good to me.

One thing to keep in mind is everytime you travel, you'll need to do a channel search on all the TVs for OTA channels.  Make sure your BOMB is set for antenna, proper channel 3 or 4 and TVs are on the corresponding channel 3 or 4. 

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
15 hours ago, Steven P said:

One thing to keep in mind is everytime you travel, you'll need to do a channel search on all the TVs for OTA channels. 

I hate having to do a channel search, my TVs seem to take for ever, the screen says this may take up to 20 min.  Are some TVs faster than others?

Fortunately my satellite is much faster.

32 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I hate having to do a channel search, my TVs seem to take for ever, the screen says this may take up to 20 min.  Are some TVs faster than others?

Fortunately my satellite is much faster.

Some are faster than others, I try to remember to select the input & start the scan on both TV'S while I am doing other stuff setting up...

Newer TV's seem to be faster. 

I just had to replace the Hitachi that I had installed ~8 years ago, everything was going green.   It took a long time to scan channels. 

The TCL I installed is much faster, but still takes a while.  Like Dave, I'll start the scan and go do something else. 

Our 2 Samsungs and outside Fire TV are much faster than what you report. I am not a patient man, 20 minutes sounds crazy to me. I suppose you have a choice of searching for OTA versus Cable, depending what you are hooked up to. Very seldom we get a cable and usually there aren't many OTA channels where we go so that might speed it up possibly.

@Ray Davisnewer TVs seem to be much faster for the most part.  Like above, I usually let it search while doing others.  However, after Dish's last battle w Disney on game day a few months back, we dropped Dish and went w streaming and have been happy.  Local channels and not OTA searching.  Just need wifi, which is often our phones.  And we take a smart TV outside w no cables!

Edited by Steven P
  • Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

Thanks Guys, sounds like newer TVs are faster.  I often go & do other things too, but sometimes I forget & then I want local news & weather.   My TVs are nearly 10 yrs old so I'll probably be looking at new ones, but then these still work fine.  I didn't mean to say it always takes 20 minutes I guess it depends on how many channels it finds.  I haven't timed it, all I know is if you're waiting it seems like longer than 20 minutes but like Ivan I'm thin on paitence too.

My front TV went out when we were in Washington State so I took it to a shop, they wanted to sell me a new one.  I explained it was in our MOHO and a new one would require extensive reworking to mount it.  So they put a repair man on it, called later & said the flyback transformer was bad & would take a week.  Traveling that wouldn't work so I said I'll pick it up.  Well he called back in a short time, said they could cannibalize one from their junk TVs for $100, I said do it and its been work great for about 5 yrs now.  So that's why I have a 10 yr old tv, it just won't quit.   At my age 10 yrs just doesn't seem that old.  LOL

My pu was about 8 yrs old when my grandson said, Pop why do you drive such an old pu?  I said what are you talking about, it's barely broke in, he asked what does that mean.  I said it's a long story.  Do they even have break in on new cars today?  I'm sure it's not like the old days. Break in was quite a process.  With that said, cars are much better today.  My 2012 Equinox has nearly 200k miles and still purrs.  Living rural the miles really accumulate.  Growing up, that many miles would have required at least 2 cars maybe 4.  However I could have bought several cars for the price of a new car today

Thanks to all that have replied to my question, sorry for the lack of responses, my FIL passed away and we’ve been working through all of that. Hopefully I can get back on track this week and get this sorted out. 
 One question I had in my post was about the sound not following the channel change, if anyone has ideas on that I would appreciate what your thoughts are.

Thanks to everyone.

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Jdw12345 said:

One question I had in my post was about the sound not following the channel change, if anyone has ideas on that I would appreciate what your thoughts are.

Not sure what sound not following the channel change means.  so if you change channels the picture changes but the sound keeps play the previous channel?

Guest Ray Davis

I have a speaker switch near the radio labeled radio or tv, do you have that?   If you have that sw could you be hearing radio instead of tv?

10 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

To my understanding it’s when I change channels on the TV.

That is really strange. It would have to be in the TV. Can you confirm that when you get a chance? Also sorry for your loss. 

Thanks Dave,

The last time I was hooked to cable, I scanned the channels, got them all set and the sound was coming through for “Big Bang” but that’s not what we were seeing, I kept changing the channel until we found “Big Bang”, then changed the channel and the sound stayed on “Big Bang”, I thought it was strange! 

Where does the sound come from? The little speakers inside the TV or a stereo receiver, surround sound setup?