12 V to generator fuel pump

Bobbyboy

I have a 10KW onan in my 08 dynasty.  I am not getting 12V to fuel pump;  I disconnected the fuel pump and applied external 12 V to it and the pump works;  however it you push the rocker switch down the pump is supposed to work and it doesn't.  Now, after i run the pump with the external power source, the genny starts right up but only runs for a few minutes until all the fuel is pulled from the filter then it shuts down.  If I try the rocker switch to prime and start, the pump will not run.  Obviously, not getting 12V to the pump.  also put the voltmeter on the two leads going to the pump and push the rocker switch--no voltage.   This is true for both the remote rocker switch and the one on the genny.  anybody got any ideas as to where the "missing voltage" is hung up.  Obviously, the switch works as the genny will turn over--but the pump will not engage

Thanks,  Bob L, 08 dynasty

Bob, passenger side of the genset at the top is a wire loom of about 10 wires. There is a connector there that is exposed to the elements. It's most likely zip tied. Open that connector and look for loose, dirty or compromised wires. Clean the connections and reassemble then try it. Best of luck....Dennis

Thanks Dennis;  will give it a try.   I know the bundle of wires you reference.  If I 'hot wire" the fuel pump, the genny runs fine.  Just can't get the 12 volts to the pump. from the rocker switch

bob L, 08 dynasty

The bedroom switch is the same.  I am thinking also that maybe there is a bad ground.  Tomorrow I am going to disconnect only the ground connection from the pump and grouind the pump directly to the negative post on the battery and see if switch activates the pump;  if not, then I will check all the connections and clean with electric contact cleaner.   Will let you know.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

16 hours ago, Bobbyboy said:

I have a 10KW onan in my 08 dynasty.  I am not getting 12V to fuel pump;  I disconnected the fuel pump and applied external 12 V to it and the pump works;  however it you push the rocker switch down the pump is supposed to work and it doesn't.  Now, after i run the pump with the external power source, the genny starts right up but only runs for a few minutes until all the fuel is pulled from the filter then it shuts down.  If I try the rocker switch to prime and start, the pump will not run.  Obviously, not getting 12V to the pump.  also put the voltmeter on the two leads going to the pump and push the rocker switch--no voltage.   This is true for both the remote rocker switch and the one on the genny.  anybody got any ideas as to where the "missing voltage" is hung up.  Obviously, the switch works as the genny will turn over--but the pump will not engage

Thanks,  Bob L, 08 dynasty

Is there an error code?  What model is it?  On my 2007 HDKCB Spec B 12.5Kw there is a common problem with the Generator Control Board not sending power to the fuel pump.  I think it usually produces a code 36.  

Jim:  The error code is 36;  I tried everything this morning-- I have a good ground;  I unplugged every connection, cleaned with contact cleaner replugged but still no help.  I finally broke down, took the control board out and ordered a new one from Cummins  ($$$).  I have the 10HDKCA, spec B.  Supposed to get the new board tomorrow or Saturday.  I hope that solves the problem.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

OK---got a new board from Cummins, put it in this morning and all is well.  Fuel pump works; ran genny for about an hour with a load and no problems.  I have the old board and am going to see if it can be repaired so I can have a spare.  By the way,  the old part number for the board was 327-1501;  however Cummins informed me that the new number is 300-5961.  Now that is for a 10kw, Spec B with a Kubota engine.

bob L, 08 dynasty