Adding foot operated exhaust brake switch?

Cubflyer

So I bought a foot operated momentary 'on' single pole single throw switch at the rally this last February.  I forgot to get instructions for it's installation.

Thought 'oh I'll just have to parallel these two wires to the two on the panel mounted switch and away I go' ...... only problem is the panel mounted switch has 8 wires to it.  At least two are from the panel light system to light the switch when the lights are on, but after that it gets complicated....

They are labeled:

pin: 7- 110K return  pin: 8-109 panel lights  pin: 9- 110J return  pin: 10- 105C EXH BRK VIM (maybe indication light that it is on??)

pin 5 - 111C  return   pin: 6  106 ENG BRK  on/off      pin: 2- 104 EXH BRK FSE    pin: 3  105A  EXH BRK VIM     Pins 5 to 6 and pins 2 to 3 seem to actually be the "switch"..

Connector sequence is:

10-3-2-1-8

9-6-5-4-7   

Anybody have a schematic or have a "plan" to make this SPDT switch activate the EXH BRK system?  (2003 HR Endeavor, 8.3 Cummins 3000 Allison tranny)

Thanks,

Ken

Sorry I can’t help you with a schematic but I just installed a foot switch. On my Exec I found the factory switch was normally closed so I had to be sure that I wired my foot switch to be normally closed also and wire it in series instead of parallel. I was fortunate that Monaco had print labeled all of my wires so it was easy to identify them. 
Good luck with your installation. 

Hey Ken, so im about to do the same with mine, so my intension was to find the “hot” comin to the switch, disconnect it from the rocker switch and just wire the foot pedal from the wire you removed back with the other wire from the foot switch to to the rocker. That way your rocker is like a master switch, which eleminates havin to sort out the rest. So to operate you leave your rocker on at all times an the foot just compleates the circuit

10 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey Ken, so im about to do the same with mine, so my intension was to find the “hot” comin to the switch, disconnect it from the rocker switch and just wire the foot pedal from the wire you removed back with the other wire from the foot switch to to the rocker. That way your rocker is like a master switch, which eleminates havin to sort out the rest. So to operate you leave your rocker on at all times an the foot just compleates the circuit

That is exactly how mine work on an '03 Executive. In 5 years I have never touched the rocker switch. 

10 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Rik,

I get what you are saying.... I wonder about how the transmission also is involved since it is a double pole switch,  the rocker is "controlling" two circuits.

Digging in deeper last night, I have determined that 4 of the 8 wires are circuit 'control' and the other 4 are 'indication' (or just lights).... so I'm going to use my foot switch to control a relay (wired in parallel) wired to the switching wires to 'engage' the circuit with the rocker switch in 'off' position.  I feel that will be more reliable and 'safer' because if the foot switch "circuit" fails (in any way, relay fails, switch fails) I will still have Exhaust Brakes with the factory switch... and with drum brakes, and mountain roads..... last year I was "on" the Exhaust Brake and still was gaining speed on the down hills between Denver and Grand Junction... not losing the EB is important!

Sorting out the wires is simple, just tap into the 4 switching wires, keep the two 'sides' (circuits) of the switch separate and connect them to the N.O. relay contacts (of course you need at least a double pole relay (Mine is a 4 circuit relay and I plan to double up on the contacts)...

Ken

14 hours ago, Chargerman said:

Sorry I can’t help you with a schematic but I just installed a foot switch. On my Exec I found the factory switch was normally closed so I had to be sure that I wired my foot switch to be normally closed also and wire it in series instead of parallel. I was fortunate that Monaco had print labeled all of my wires so it was easy to identify them. 
Good luck with your installation. 

Thanks, my switch is open circuit until switched on... and two circuits are controlled......see my post to Rik...

3 minutes ago, Grampy OG said:

That is exactly how mine work on an '03 Executive. In 5 years I have never touched the rocker switch. 

Do you know if your circuit is like mine with 8 wires... ?? See my post to Rik please

18 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

Rik,

I get what you are saying.... I wonder about how the transmission also is involved since it is a double pole switch,  the rocker is "controlling" two circuits.

Digging in deeper last night, I have determined that 4 of the 8 wires are circuit 'control' and the other 4 are 'indication' (or just lights).... so I'm going to use my foot switch to control a relay (wired in parallel) wired to the switching wires to 'engage' the circuit with the rocker switch in 'off' position.  I feel that will be more reliable and 'safer' because if the foot switch "circuit" fails (in any way, relay fails, switch fails) I will still have Exhaust Brakes with the factory switch... and with drum brakes, and mountain roads..... last year I was "on" the Exhaust Brake and still was gaining speed on the down hills between Denver and Grand Junction... not losing the EB is important!

Sorting out the wires is simple, just tap into the 4 switching wires, keep the two 'sides' (circuits) of the switch separate and connect them to the N.O. relay contacts (of course you need at least a double pole relay (Mine is a 4 circuit relay and I plan to double up on the contacts)...

Ken

Thanks, my switch is open circuit until switched on... and two circuits are controlled......see my post to Rik...

Do you know if your circuit is like mine with 8 wires... ?? See my post to Rik please

I am not sure but I will attempt to follow up for you

• Like 1

Hey Ken great idea on using the relays to command the circuits, im a big fan of relay controls. I believe we have very similar rigs 03 HR Endeavors an im real familure with the “pucker factor” in the mountains, i know for me theres a couple things that helped, one was to drop the amount of water im carrying, the other was to reduce my speed to 50 MPH just as i crest the hill to drop to the decent, people behind me dont care much for that move cause they want to fly like there hairs in fire🙀 When i lived in Denver im reminded of a time in my pick up when i was passed in blinding snow storm the rest of the traffic was 15mph when this clown passed doing AT LEAST 60mph😖 when im in my coach my new mantra is PHUGM!!!

final note it would be a good idea to remove your front drums an inspect the brake lining, i did an found the lining had cracked ACROSS it not length wise, and still had over 1/2 of the lining remaining . Plus the other pic is of the shoes that fit my rig, the fleetpride store i bought them from said they were so glad to get rid of them, they said they had been in there inventory for over 10 years and were about to throw them out😳9A4CF41E-336A-4843-97D3-45E5B539ACEF.thumb.jpeg.3c3adbddc887cb241b01be3940813917.jpegF4482B83-7212-4E94-9E49-C5C07A8C13A9.thumb.jpeg.448d88dc0fa5c25446360d5534344dac.jpeg

• Like 1

Rik,

Last summer we went from Denver to SLC by way of I-70, never again in my motor home.... too many 'crazy drivers', construction, steep grades, tight exits (with round-a-bouts) with inaccessible gas stations......  We leave next week heading to Reno... taking I-80, no time to look at those brake linings.. less than 80K total miles... not had a problem with them fading or stopping... 

I have wired the rely into the wires of pins 2&3 and 5&6 of the Exhaust Brake switch.  This should make the relay act to activate both circuits of the system, pretty sure it will also luminate the "bar" in the switch.  It does not change or add a failure point into the factory system.

When I have test proven this I will report back.

Ken

Just a thought if you don’t like steep mountain drops. On I-80 coming into SLC divert to I-84 to Ogden then south to I-15 back to I-80 and west to Nevada. 

I had an uncle that was a truck driver and he always took that route coming into SLC. I never understood until I drove my MotorHome down I-80. That’s a long downhill. The I84 route is a bit longer (I think about 45 min) but much more gradual. 

I think it’s funny that you are adding a foot switch for the engine brake… I have a foot switch and one of my next projects is to add a rocker switch for the brake…😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rocketman3 said:

Just a thought if you don’t like steep mountain drops. On I-80 coming into SLC divert to I-84 to Ogden then south to I-15 back to I-80 and west to Nevada. 

I had an uncle that was a truck driver and he always took that route coming into SLC. I never understood until I drove my MotorHome down I-80. That’s a long downhill. The I84 route is a bit longer (I think about 45 min) but much more gradual. 

I think it’s funny that you are adding a foot switch for the engine brake… I have a foot switch and one of my next projects is to add a rocker switch for the brake…😎

Foot switch is for when I'm just doing 'off highway exits' and quick way of cancelling the cruise control plus short term Exhaust brake on, followed by hitting the switch for 'longer term' E.B.   I have found that I tend to forget to turn it off after stopping and that I have some trouble hitting the rocker switch in a hurry... same with the cruise cancel, my regular brake pedal has to be hit pretty hard to cancel the cruise.  I can sure understand why you would want to add a rocker switch if your foot switch is a momentary switch (like the one I added).

Guess I should have been clearer on my route to SLC... I use I-80 vs I-70 between Denver (daughter's home) and Centerville, UT (son's home) which means I do use I-84 towards Ogden.... I have not been on I-80 just east of SLC in the motorhome, but you are correct.. pretty extreme... been there in a car.... years ago ... going to and from Park City, UT.

Edited by Cubflyer
added info

• 1 month later...

I added a foot switch to my Cummins Jake On / Off...it was simple...I just paralleled the hand switch with the foot switch using a relay.

I don't think I have more wiring details...possibly pictures.  But memory is failing the details.

eBrakeSwitch.jpg

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

Hey All,

Reporting back after my travels from the mid-South to Reno, NV area and back....

Adding that foot operated Exhaust Brake switch is a great and simple mod. 

First advantage is that the foot switch cancels the cruise control without hitting the brakes. 

Second advantage is that I never 'forget' to "release" the exhaust brake switch.... something I did all the time with the panel mounted on/off switch.

In my installation, the little light in the normal panel E.B. switch does illuminate when the foot switch is activated. (Happy about that).

My driving experience was definitely enhanced.

Ken

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

👍👍👍 im finally thru the worst of my frozen shoulder so i can build my system, do you remember when using the relay, did you use a 4 wire relay or a 5 wire, im kinda thinking the 5 wire

Not sure what you mean.... but I do know that you need at least a Double Pole relay (two switching circuits controlled with one relay coil).

Both DavidL and I used something like this.....https://www.amazon.com/Electromechanical-Relay-Double-Throw-160Ohm/dp/B00B8889JC/ref=sr_1_14?crid=DEHVE8TK4ROS&keywords=double+throw+relay+12v&qid=1659111427&sprefix=double+throw+%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-14

OR

https://www.amazon.com/mxuteuk-Indicator-Electromagnetic-General-JQX-13F-DZ-DC12V/dp/B08HM1QW5H/ref=sr_1_18?crid=2EZTXQP90QDM7&keywords=double+pole+double+throw+relay+12v&qid=1659112425&s=industrial&sprefix=double+pole+double+throw+relay+12v%2Cindustrial%2C74&sr=1-18

I put the "control" (coil) power on it's own circuit (from the forward power box) so that the foot switch was totally independent of the normal switch... 

Something like this will not work, unless you parallel the control circuits .... I do not recommend doing that.... https://www.amazon.com/PACK-AMP-Waterproof-Relay-Harness/dp/B074FSZWVT/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.9e69e792-0ff0-4e1a-b10c-a41b9d9b3ffc%3Aamzn1.sym.9e69e792-0ff0-4e1a-b10c-a41b9d9b3ffc&crid=DEHVE8TK4ROS&cv_ct_cx=double+throw+relay+12v&keywords=double+throw+relay+12v&pd_rd_i=B074FSZWVT&pd_rd_r=3fbb8216-db27-4d91-8a24-77727c916a27&pd_rd_w=CS8mY&pd_rd_wg=N1u7q&pf_rd_p=9e69e792-0ff0-4e1a-b10c-a41b9d9b3ffc&pf_rd_r=1ZHFKXQREX95E909VE16&qid=1659111945&sprefix=double+throw+%2Caps%2C86&sr=1-1-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&psc=1&smid=A1M1RWN6HRL8BC&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQjdTSlFTTUsyQzIxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTgzNTY1RjZLSElVNzIyMjU4JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxOTA4MTcyRklQQlNQQlREUFZKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3Bfc2VhcmNoX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Hope this helps..

Ken

Edited by Cubflyer
  • Thanks 1

I wired mine direct in series to one of the wires that goes to the switch. I don’t understand why it is felt that a relay is needed. It is not a high amperage draw circuit. 
Mali’s, on my Series 60 Exec activating the Jake does not cancel the cruise or downshift if the cruise is active.  If the cruise is not active then the transmission will downshift  when applying the Jake Brake. I know this will not be the same in all applications 

Edited by Chargerman

1 hour ago, Chargerman said:

I wired mine direct in series to one of the wires that goes to the switch. I don’t understand why it is felt that a relay is needed. It is not a high amperage draw circuit. 
Mali’s, on my Series 60 Exec activating the Jake does not cancel the cruise or downshift if the cruise is active.  If the cruise is not active then the transmission will downshift  when applying the Jake Brake. I know this will not be the same in all applications 

My advise has been for those with Cummins engines.... sounds like your running a Detroit Diesel that has a different system. 

I "felt" my system needed a relay because the foot switch I have is a single throw single pole switch and it can only control one circuit, and my Exhaust Brake circuit is made up of two circuits... therefore a relay is needed....

Ken

• 1 month later...

Well i finally got around to making my switch box for my engine brake. Amazing what a hot night an a couple beers can get acomplished. I used a double pole relay  and all i need to do is to slice into the existing wires an that will be one more roject i can scraych off the list👍😎329F920E-F31B-411B-88AB-912B703388CC.thumb.jpeg.e8a3f505e587a53c984ea9c94c9dc71d.jpegF61230BF-B081-41B5-9291-0E6FAC51D16B.thumb.jpeg.9bcc466121864875c46ac27ab90a2bde.jpeg893BCFA7-7CDF-4715-BE6A-21E6FBF91414.thumb.jpeg.1e98677170ed5a008b1d9a200975d171.jpeg

I have been enjoying my foot operated engine brake switch! Best mod I've done! Well, except for all the suspension mods.....

Are you planning a separate power source to operate the relay? (I did)  Are you hooking the new relay switches up in parallel to the existing wires... (I did).

On 7/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, Cubflyer said:

Hey All,

Reporting back after my travels from the mid-South to Reno, NV area and back....

Adding that foot operated Exhaust Brake switch is a great and simple mod. 

First advantage is that the foot switch cancels the cruise control without hitting the brakes. 

Second advantage is that I never 'forget' to "release" the exhaust brake switch.... something I did all the time with the panel mounted on/off switch.

In my installation, the little light in the normal panel E.B. switch does illuminate when the foot switch is activated. (Happy about that).

My driving experience was definitely enhanced.

Ken

The exhaust brake, whether activated by the rocker or foot switch, should automatically disengage whenever you hit the fuel pedal.
It should only operate at idle.

34 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

The exhaust brake, whether activated by the rocker or foot switch, should automatically disengage whenever you hit the fuel pedal.
It should only operate at idle.

David,

I agree, and have experienced that. True it 'disconnects' with pressing on the fuel pedal, BUT as soon as you let off the fuel pedal it engages again, and on my coach the cruise control will not engage with the engine brake switch in the "ON" position.... so the momentary (foot operated) engine brake switch is the best thing since sliced bread for me!

Ken

• Like 1

My 93 Signature Series has a foot switch for the Jake brake and no dash switch. Stepping on the fuel pedal as it was called does not disengage the Jake. As long as my foot is on the floor switch the brake is engaged.

My transmission is manually down shifted.

It works great.