Neil -- I`ve had the standard  Bilstein  on our 42ft Camelot for a long while -- No complaints -- It all depends on the road condition if you are satisfied or not -- For over $700.00 difference I would be satisfied with the standard  -- Air pressure in your tires & proper ride height has a lot to do with ride comfort --

Guest Cruzbill

10 Source Engineering shocks, about the cost of two new tires; What a hobby! I wonder what they charge for installation? 

We too have an '05 Beaver Patriot (Thunder) 40' w/tag; Lexington floor plan, short wheelbase chassis. 3 slides. Zoom!

3 hours ago, Neil Loveless said:

Hi, I have an '05 Beaver Patriot 40'w/tag and need to replace my shocks.  I've read comments of great service from Source Engineering for shocks so I called and spoke with Jim who told me that they build custom-tuned Bilstein's for my coach, price $169 ea. plus shipping.  Reading your note where you describe replacing your shocks with Bilstein #24-186605 & #24-186612 I saw them on Amazon for $96 & $94 ea.  It sounds like your were standard Bilstein's rather than custom tuned, is it your opinion that the standard shocks are going to do the job just as well?  Thanks for your thoughts on this.  Neil L.

I have been an advocate of Source Shocks.  NOW....the real value of the Source Shocks is the "warranty".  Billstein has a "Lifetime" Warranty.  BUT, you have to return the shock to Billstein.  What are you supposed to do if you want to drive.  YES....you can.  Koni has a better approach.  They will ship you a new shock, but you might be charged for it if the shock ain't bad.

Source is for the LIFE of the vehicle....so whomever purchases the vehicle has a life time shock and they just send you a new one.  I have the "Extra HD" on the front of my Camelot.  That is a bit OVERKILL.  

I personally would go with the Source Shocks.  They will serve you well.  As to changing them, it depends on your skills.  I changed the rears on my Camelot.  I have the Stud (on top) and the Eye (through bolt) on the bottom.  The stud is a little trickier.  The TRICK, according to the guy that does most of the installs for Source (when not at a show) is to use a pair of small vise grips and grip the shock rod at the top.  That is WELL out of the way of the movement.  THEN you torque it down.  Some have made a special socket.  I DID....but the vise grip (or locking pliers) is easier.

I made a LOT of improvements to my Camelot before I fixed the REAL problem.  I added front and rear sway bars (Source....but Roadmaster makes them) and the HD fronts and the regular rears.  That really improved the ride and the handling.  My DW commented that the MH road like the tour busses (MCI and Prevost) that we were on for some 5 Star trips.  She could THEN read comfortably.  We took a 5K trip.  She had me "show her" where all that money went and was like WOW.....this does improve the ride and the feel.  We left.  I noticed that she was reading as I drove.  I let that happen for about 3 days until we were in AR.  I asked....how's the book coming?  She said, I'm about finished.  I asked.....I thought you could not read more than 30 minutes without a headache.  OMG she screamed.  You are right.  NOW, I really love all that stuff that you put under the MH.  SO, an non-technical endorsement.

OK....fast forward.  IF you have NOT added the Watts Link, then I would recommend that.  That will do more for your driving pleasure and comfort than any shock.  My HD shocks and the sway bars worked great.  I can drive further.  Crosswinds don't bother me.  Van Williams convinced me to put on the Watts.  WOW.  I really do NOT need the front HD shocks....but the ride is comfortable and there is no "Ocean Liner" pitch and yaw.  I have a steering stabilizer.  It is way more responsive.

So, the Watts (and some folks put on the rear cross braces) are the first steps.  THEN, Shocks.....  From there, you add as you like.  NOW, would I have added the front and rear stabilizers?  I do NOT know.  Right now, I have to tell myself to slow down as I make a sweeping exit or on a ramp or over an overpass.  My DW says that I drive the MH more like my 2016 Vette than I do the Yukon.  She says that the MH tracks better or is more stable than the Yukon.

SO....your call on the shocks.  The "Tuned" shocks are not MADE by Source.  Source paid for the developmental work and the valving is proprietary and Billstein can NOT sell them.  That valving is the secret in that it brings the MH back to level or even quicker.  The Billstein Shock Guru said that if he or his family had a Monaco MH, that it would have the Source Shocks and NOT the stock ones that their engineers designed.  He said he could not believe the difference in the valving.

Just my thoughts and a bunch more info than you might want....but that is it.  I am a LITTLE surprised that the Patriot needs shocks.  I thought that the Patriots were upper end.  However, Monaco Execs were (supposedly) getting donations from Billstein during the early 2000's and Monaco wanted a "Firmer" ride.  Beaver may not have been in the Monaco fold then.  

Any of the shocks (Koni and Stock Billstein) will ride better, assuming that your shocks are shot.  My original Monroe's had less than 25 pounds of compression.  The Source was well above 100.  WHAT a difference....

• Thanks 1