Starlink RV

10 hours ago, Tom Wallis said:

I just got back from a 10 day trip into Oregon staying at 5 different locations. We used Starlink at every one with great success. The only place I thought we may have a problem was in the middle of Oregon in a river canyon with lots of trees and no cell service. I worked great. I'll include photos. I'm now leaving the router in the basement where I plug it in. When I want to set it up I just pull out enough cable to reach the top of my pole, crab the dish out of the box, plug it in, place it on the pole and extend the pole if necessary. I only had to extend the pole once on this trip. All of this takes less than 5 minutes.

I saw a Youtube video of a guy that mounted his securely to the top of his RV and uses it while moving. I'd be reluctant to do that because you lose the ability to locate the dish in different locations when necessary.

PXL_20220710_232306808.jpg

Screenshot_20220710-162728.jpg

So do you leave the dish on the pole attached to the ladder to travel?

On 6/21/2022 at 8:46 AM, throgmartin said:

I was just researching this the other day and came across some yacht owners who use Starlinks on their cruisers. They can be out in the Pacific or Atlantic oceans and still stream and have cell service. Isn't technology amazing ? And to think we never had calculators ( never mind computers ) in high school. This guy mounted his flat on the deck by his bridge. The first video explains about the starlink system and the second shows how he modified his dish. I watched the second video and thought to myself " This is a job for our machining wizard Van Williams ).

Thought I would post this as yachts and coaches can be similar in many ways.

First video: 

Second Video:

I have been watching a lot of videos on yacht operations, ownership and cruising. Owning a yacht ( a money pit ) has been on my bucket list for a while now. There could be one in the future if I decide to sell my coach and make the transition from land to sea. Still in decision mode. 🙂

Speak for thyself, you “youthful rascallion”.  I remember about 5 or 6 years after graduation when the first “desktop” TI calculator came out.  When I graduated from NCSU in 1968, the marvel of my first job was a noisy Marchant ROTARY Rube Goldberg calculator that they gave me.  I was so impressed….ME.  A calculator.  Turns out I had, as the newbie, the oldest and clunkiest.  I had to do a complex calculation for some large division,  I casually put my hand on the carriage and was sipping a drink with my left hand.  It completed it and then did an automatic carriage return and my finger, slightly under the overhead carriage, was almost broken.  I nursed my wound and did not go to the nurse….

SPEAKING OF THINGS OUT OF DATE.  Metaphorically, a College student that has a book case would also have a Buggy Whip holder on his/her Prius….musing after getting an inventory of stuff for the trailer to move Soph GS into off campus housing….

28 minutes ago, Tom Wallis said:

No, I'm not that confident of my mount. I put it away when traveling.

Yeah no way would I either.  My coach had an old satellite dish that was removed. The mounts with bolts are still on the roof. I’ll most likely fab a mount for the Starlink to go on top. 

Guest Ray Davis

In Chris's video they talk about not being allowed to use Starlink presently while traveling / in motion but I don't know how old those videos are,  so are you guys able to use yours in motion?

What all have y'all been able to eleminate / replace with Starlink?   Internet, phone, TV, etc.

16 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

In Chris's video they talk about not being allowed to use Starlink presently while traveling / in motion but I don't know how old those videos are,  so are you guys able to use yours in motion?

What all have y'all been able to eleminate / replace with Starlink?   Internet, phone, TV, etc.

Currently is not “legal” dish has been fighting Starlink like crazy for bandwidth and trying to keep Starlink from going in motion. Elon had a tweak a few weeks back “encouraging “ people yo try in motion, so technically is Should work, it does in ships. Dish has the undies in a bind for sure over Starlink 

3 hours ago, Rocketman3 said:

Tom,

on you ladder pole mount, what items did you use to do that. I like the idea of getting it even taller. 

thanks

I used an old telescoping flag pole I had laying around. I fabricated the mounts to attach it to the ladder. I've seen some Youtube videos that tell you about parts that you can buy for that. Some allow you to hing the pole at the bottom so you can put on the dish without climbing the ladder. Also, the dish was a loose fit in the pole and so I had to shim it and cut a hole for the locking mechanism on the dish. If you're not a fabricator there's info out there about pieces you can buy to solve all these issues.

Guest Ray Davis
53 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Currently is not “legal” dish has been fighting Starlink like crazy for bandwidth and trying to keep Starlink from going in motion. Elon had a tweak a few weeks back “encouraging “ people yo try in motion, so technically is Should work, it does in ships. Dish has the undies in a bind for sure over Starlink 

Interesting, thanks JD