Supplemental Braking for Toweds

After 15 years of operation, my Roadmaster Brake Pro gave it up.  It was installed in a 2005 Ram 1500 behind a 2003 Monaco Windsor.  What finally quit was the relay on the circuit board which caused the pump to keep running.  We were parked at my son's house for a few days and, while we ran the genset each night to keep the batteries charged, I didn't check the truck until we were leaving.  My bad!!  Since there  is a fused power line from the coach to the truck, the running pump drained the truck and the coach chassis batteries.  At this point I still did not realize that the pump was the culprit, and since the chassis batteries were 5+ years old, I replaced both batteries.  After I replaced the batteries, I finally checked the truck and found the running pump.  

Sorry for the lengthy comment, but I felt I should share the  bad (my bad) experience so that others can avoid a similar fate.  The moral:  check the toad everyday even if you are stopped.

The main reason for this post was to ask opinions on supplemental braking systems.  I have to now replace the Brake Pro since there is no support for this product.  After some research, I'm thinking about either the Brake Buddy Select 3 or the Blue Ox Patriot II or III.  They both seem to be good systems and, with my existing wiring in the truck, they both would be easy enough to install.  The only drawback that I think on the Blue Ox is the  ease of install of the clamp on the brake pedal.  The clamp also seems to be partly made of plastic.  Any comments, please.  Thanks in advance!!

Tony Chiulli

'03 Windsor, '05 Ram 1500

Perhaps it's time to look into the ReadyBrake and ReadyBrute products. I've been using mine for 11 years with zero problems. The braking system is built into the tow bar. I can't help you with the BrakeBuddy or the Blue Ox as I haven't used the BB for 11 years and I'm sure there have been upgrades during that time. After years of using the BB I discovered the ReadyBrute. No extra stuff to cart around and nothing to hook up or break. JMO, but I think it's worth a look. Best of luck...Dennis

https://www.readybrake.com/

• Like 2

I second the RVi2 Supplemental brake system. I have  been using one for over five years with no issue, easy to set up and can be used in multiple vehicles and brakes systems

The RVi3 system is their new system.

Look into it.

Like rear, anal orifices....everyone has their own choice or opinion.  I vote for the M&G system.  I had a Brake Buddy wireless that I bought in 2006.  POS.  I sold it and put in the US Gear Tow Braking system.  That was great.  Took a little more "finesse" as you had to mount the solenoid under the seat or under the carpet in the passenger side.  I used it for 8 years and it never gave a minute's trouble.  Then, I decided that my New2Me Yukon would not support (not enough room) the US Gear solenoid.  

I had heard great things about the M&G and I found a "Rebuilt" one from them.  They take them back in trade and then refurbish and sell them.  ABSOLUTELY perfect.  I detest to go through all the  steps for the aux or removable systems.  Have to keep the battery charged and then have to get the seat in the right position and bleed the brakes and such.  

The M&G is only ONE air chuck fitting.  My US Gear system was powered and controlled through the umbilical.  It had absolutely NO additional hookups.  The M&G works much better.  I can really tell the difference.  I DID purchase the Emergency Release Kit and install it.  M&G were great on Tech Support.

Since you have the whomping BIG V-8, you probably DO have room for the M&G.  Mine fit nicely.  Did the install myself.  Piece of cake.

Some will differ....but for the ease of hookup and the lack of "gotta program this rascal" stuff....the M&G is simple and I like that.  I have towed the Yukon maybe 20K with it and STILL marvel at how great it is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

I had a US Gear Tow Braking system. POS. I then went to a M & G Braking system.  10 years full timing and no problems. Simple, and consistent.

Paul A 

Some like Red....Some like White....it all depends on your Appetite.  At least we agree on the M&G.  Others rave about Brake Buddy....but my "super gee whiz" one with first WIRELESS controller was not worth crap.  The only issues that I had with the US Gear was in the Umbilical.  That was not THEIR fault....it was simply the same things that you run into with ANY umbilical....the male and female HAVE to be kept clean and corrosion free.  If I did not get the "OK" light on the US Gear controller, I always found that the Umbilical cord or the sockets were the issue....when I cleaned and sometimes added a little "NoAlox" which improved the connections it worked flawlessly.  

As I said, the key to getting the US Gear to work was to install it properly and make sure that your connections were tight (or properly done) and the solenoid was mounted correctly.  Took a little "fiddiling" with the final "Test" instructions....but it worked great.  It is electric..so it did not have the "Clamping" power or the torque to move the pedal as aggressively as the M&G, which is a full pneumatic and works like a "power brake".

On 4/24/2020 at 11:12 AM, ready2retire59 said:

Thanks for the quick response.  Will look at ReadyBrute!

Tony and Doreen Chiulli 

'03 Windsor, '05 Ram 1500

I have had the Ready Brute Elite for a little over a year now and am happy with it.  I have 2 Jeeps set up to tow behind the MH this way.  

I would also suggest the M&G system  one of the simplest and best systems out there and not that hard to install, i have installed one on  a 2013  F150  and a 2017 Ram their is nothing to wear out in the M&G except the big O ring and i dont think you will ever be able to wear it out.

Toms suggestion on buying a rebuilt system is spot on it can save a few hundred dollars,  https://m-gengineering.com/compatibility-list/     Talk to Monty he is easy to deal with.

I use a Roadmaster Brake Master.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/brakemaster/brake_m.php

It is real simple, easy to put in/ out.

Put clamp on brake pedal, pin under edge of seat, & plug in air line under dash.

Another air line from coach to toad, & done.

I like it...

I have used the same brake master on two motorhomes and four vehicles.  Easy to put into and out of vehicle and is proportional. Installation was done by myself every time.  I reused the same parts except the seat bracket and wiring and air hose.   Seat bracket different for the  Jeep and  Enclave (had two of these).  I now have a 2020 Traverse I am about to  move the Brake Master to and put the Road Master Base Plate on.

Rich Cutler, 06' Windsor

1 hour ago, Dave Pumphrey said:

I use a Roadmaster Brake Master.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/brakemaster/brake_m.php

It is real simple, easy to put in/ out.

Put clamp on brake pedal, pin under edge of seat, & plug in air line under dash.

Another air line from coach to toad, & done.

I like it...

Dave i also used the Brakemaster on 6 different toads until i decided to give it a go on installing a M&G but of course you cant use the M&G on just any vehicles  but the hook up is so easy.

I also have the Roadmaster Brakemaster unit.  I have been very happy with it.  I bought the unit on ebay in like new condition very cheap.  I bought the vehicle installation kits from Roadmaster.  Also inexpensive.  Installation was straight forward.  I like having the air activated proportional braking on the toad.  There are a couple units for sale on ebay currently.

Richard Davis, "06 Beaver