Summer Heat

49 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

Looks like those things would be gone in the frist high wilds?!

Ditto. Looks like it would also have an impact on the stink vents and the efficiency of the AC’s.  Now if you had a basement HVAC like my first Winnie, not a problem.  Looks like the same logic as putting in two big storage banks or “power walls” and a solar system will keep the lights on when there is a winter storm and you need to run your 20 amp - 220 VAC pump and your 30 amp 220 VAC hot water heater and you do NOT have an internal combustion engine powering a standby Genny…

One born every minute….

Guest Ray Davis

They claim to be able to withstand at least 70 MPH.  I just can't decide about the effeciency of the roof A/C, would the air heat up under there or would it create a draft there by ridding its self of the heat.  I'm not defending the product at all,  I don't have one or plan to buy one.  

Covering the roof with solar panels would shade the roof also, but I don't recall anyone mentioning whether they felt it helped their heat level inside. Looks like it would

I actually started thinking I could build something like that using fiberglass poles (that bend) and strut poles (that don't bend) under re-purposed billboard material.  Add a few hold down straps and bob's your uncle, for a LOT LESS THAN $1,400! 😮

Seems like a park with that kind of money (and rent) would offer pole barns for their tenants . . . .

- bob

Guest Ray Davis

Bob I didn't know you were my uncle, didn't even know I had an uncle Bob, but I'm glad to meet my uncle.  At  my age it's more likely I'm your uncle.   🥸   

I know they sell used billboard material but I haven't been up close to see what sort of stuff it is.   The material in the ad picture looks to be light weight maybe even parachute like.  

There was a fella on here that talked about making an inflatable cover / garage that you could take along with you.   Judging from the bounce houses etc that people rent for kids parties those things are pretty big and heavy even when deflated.   Now, if it had a light weight top and inflatable columns you might have something you could erect and then drive under it.   Wow I think I just invented something.  Forget what I just wrote, it's mine.  LOL

Edited by Ray Davis

The biggest area where heat comes in is behind the cabinets in the front.  If you can get access, try spraying closed cell foam along the top of the windshield up to where the cap meets the roofline.  Go under the dash and plug any holes you can find.  Check your slide seals to make sure they seat properly.  If not put some talcum powder, baby powder, or slide seal treatment on the inside and outside of the seals and check again.  Check under the kitchen and bathroom sinks for leaks in the floor where rodents and hot (cold) air might ingress.  If you can access under the shower pan inspect for the same.

As already stated, a see-through heat reflective windshield cover is excellent for summer heat from the sun.  You could see a 10-12 degree drop in that area if done right.  That helps the front AC keep up.

If you have a thermal imaging camera use it to find any leaks.  Use slow expansion foam to plug the leaks.  However, if the gap is large, first stuff it with fine steel wool if possible to prevent rodents from chewing their way into the coach.  The best time to do this is when it is cold outside.  Warm up the interior for a couple hours and then scan with the camera - it will be obvious where you have a leak.

0dcaf1cb-7e53-4f9d-b22b-a5e27ea1e760.099

I just remembered another leak we fixed.  The front door is provided to Fleetwood by a "vendor".  When I stopped in Indiana to have the post-delivery warranty issues (many) fixed that the dealer could not address, one of the items on the punch list was noise from somewhere in the front area.  After three trips around the block to find the leak and adding sealant in critical areas, we found that the door also was not installed properly.  These are cheap doors, unlike the ones you find on upper-end coaches (Prevost, Newell . .)  The on-site tech (vendor) spent a couple hours adjusting the door position, seals, etc.  He was able to get a balance we could live with.  Again, these are cheap doors.  Anyway, the front door may be leaking, so check that out on yours.

On 6/20/2022 at 6:49 PM, Ivan K said:

I got a roll of heavy duty Suntex sunshade fabric from Home Depot and my wife made outside shades with it that fit on outside factory turn locks around windshield and driver window . . . .

Factory turn locks?  I bought a roll but can't come up with a mounting method without screwing into the front cap (big no-no IMO) . . . . I tried some neodymium magnets but don't think they'll hold.  What does the great Monaco brain trust suggest?

Industrial velcro on the windshield? 

- bob

8 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Factory turn locks?  I bought a roll but can't come up with a mounting method without screwing into the front cap (big no-no IMO) . . . . I tried some neodymium magnets but don't think they'll hold.  What does the great Monaco brain trust suggest?

- bob

These are what we had already installed around the front windows. Yes, they are screwed in.

IMG_20220628_094533687.jpg

14 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

- bob

I tried the strongest Velcro I could find, but the adhesive didn’t survive the heat (inside the windshield).  I’d love to find a better solution. 

12 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I tried the strongest Velcro I could find, but the adhesive didn’t survive the heat (inside the windshield).  I’d love to find a better solution. 

Have you tried the outside?  Glass would be cooler with the sunshield over the velcro (why I was thinking it would work).   

13 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I use to see magnets in a flexable roll of tape.  Maybe that could be used.

Again, I was trying to go through the glass.  Glued or double-backed taped on top of the glass would have more holding power, if the adhesive holds.  And if I double up the magnets it adds a lot of strength (but still not enough for through glass).  Unfortunately I left them at home . . . .

- bob

1 minute ago, Paul A. said:

Omar the TENT man is in town! That 5er with the dark colors really makes a statement of what NOT to be/do! Thats why Bill Grove had his solar panels mounted with 3" legs. Sure do miss his wisdom and common sense approach. RIP Dear Friend.

I miss Bill too!  I just talked to his son, Joey, earlier today. 

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Have you tried the outside?  Glass would be cooler with the sunshield over the velcro (why I was thinking it would work).   

Again, I was trying to go through the glass.  Glued or double-backed taped on top of the glass would have more holding power, if the adhesive holds.  And if I double up the magnets it adds a lot of strength (but still not enough for through glass).  Unfortunately I left them at home . . . .

- bob

It may take direct contact with the magnet, strong enough for through the glass you might pull your windshield plumb out.   🤣

20 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I miss Bill too!  I just talked to his son, Joey, earlier today. 

I think just about all of us miss Bill.   I hadn't heard of Joey before.  Is he an RVer?   Bill's brother was on here, may still be,  but I haven't seen him post in a long time.

55 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

It may take direct contact with the magnet, strong enough for through the glass you might pull your windshield plumb out.   🤣

I think just about all of us miss Bill.   I hadn't heard of Joey before.  Is he an RVer?   Bill's brother was on here, may still be,  but I haven't seen him post in a long time.

Bill's brother sold his coach.

8 hours ago, cbr046 said:

- bob

The magnets used are what make the Magnashield the $$$ they are.

• Like 1

My son has a commercial sewing machine and made me a windshield screen with the strong magnets (similar to magnashade) for a fathers day gift a few years ago.   One magnet is inside the windshield and the other in sewn into a pocket in the shade itself. I use an old aluminum hiking stick to put the shade in place and I can easily do it by myself from the ground.  Some use a pool cue--anything will work but it can't be magnetic.    Once the magnets in the pockets and on the windshield 'find' each other, it's on there solid.   The magnets are little bigger than a quarter and about 3x as thick. I think they are rated at 120lbs.   I used double stick tape to hold the magnets to the inside of the  windshield.

We use it all the time.  Really helps with heat and during the day, you can see out but no one can see in.

Edited by windsorbill06
grammar
  • Thanks 1