Balancing beans, experience with motorhometires.com?

daveyjo

I am shopping for new rv tires - 295/80R22.5, and ran across an add for motorhometires.com.  They offer free mobile installation anywhere.  I wanted Toyo M144's with new date codes.  They said they can get them only one month old, which is great. Regarding mobile installation, I didn't want remote installation as I wanted my tires balanced with lead weights and I don't think they can do that remotely, but maybe they can?  What they proposed to me is to use balancing "beans", and I have often heard of balancing this way.  I have heard some people have had problems with valve stems/Schrader valves getting clogged up using them.  I do use Tire pressure monitors, and want to avoid any problems with them because of using balancing beans.  What are folks opinions of this offering?  I don't have prices yet (sending me an email in a couple of hours).

Thanks for your views.

Dave Jones
2005 HR Scepter

Davey,

The first thing I had to do when I bought my MH was put new tires all around.  When they asked about balancing, I was given the option of the bead bags or weights.  I went w the bags and have been happy since.  At that point in was not using TPMS, but I installed TST valve stem sensors about 8 months later and have had no issues.  

Edited by Steven P

I use Centramatics on the front wheels for balance. They work great and are installed behind the wheel when it is put back onto the wheel lugs. Had them for about 3 years with no problems. I did use balancing beads for several years but found the ceramic beads break down after a while and were not as effective. You do want to use the special Schrader valves if you do use the beads. On the rear dual tires, I had them balance the tire with normal lead weights. They make Centramatic balancers for those tires/wheels as well. So far, so good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ncjimgr said:

I use Centramatics on the front wheels for balance. They work great and are installed behind the wheel when it is put back onto the wheel lugs. Had them for about 3 years with no problems. I did use balancing beads for several years but found the ceramic beads break down after a while and were not as effective. You do want to use the special Schrader valves if you do use the beads. On the rear dual tires, I had them balance the tire with normal lead weights. They make Centramatic balancers for those tires/wheels as well. So far, so good.

I'll look into the Centramatics too.  The Balance Masters do seem pricey, and both have good reviews.

I use the Centramatics  on the steers and the duals and drop a bag of beads in the tags. From my experience I do both, no matter what manufacturer you can get a out of round tire and no amount of balance will compensate for that. ( hence my experience )  The balance machine detects these flaws and they can be measured anything above accepted tolerance a good shop will send back and not install it. Now you'll ask well why both.  For me I believe they are the reason my ride stays perfect since they balance the hub as well and adapt as we wear things out especially since we don't rotate our tires. (at least I don't ). Of course when your not rolling keep them covered.

Roy

I checked on new tires for my rig back in Feb but decided to hold off.  I got a price for Toyos out the door was a better price then what the motorhometires.com, this included balancing. 

I did inquire about balancing beads, which is what I use now but they did not recommend.  No real reason.   

When I had new tires installed on the front back 2009 they installed weighs using adhesive type, they didn't last a couple months before the fell off.  I actually found one set next to the coach after I parked it and the other side was already gone.  So I wouldn't use this type again.   Went with balancing beads in the back. 

I will still be looking for tires in a couple months, hope I can find fresh ones,   Not sure what the supply chain for tires is doing.  Are they running out or is inventory backing up???

Dave

Your two best choices are either the Dyna Beads or the Centramatics.

I have  used the Dyna Beads in Three Coaches and have never had an  issue with them and they do work. Do not be fooled by the competitors or what tire shop try to push on you.. There is a product that tire dealers promote called "EQUAL", it is a powder and is not good for the tire because any moisture in the tire will cause the powder to clump and it will not keep your tires balanced. Equal will also clog your valve stems.

Dyna Beads are Ceramic beads and work very well to keep your tires balanced, they do no harm the inside of your tires and do not wear out. You can also re-use them.

There are other company's that sell Balancing Beads. Most of them are not Ceramic and will wear out over time and are to abrasive for the inside of your tires.

The Centramatics is another good choice They mount outside the tire between the hub and the wheel and can also be  re-used  from one coach to the other..

Do your research and ask many questions.

If you decide to go with Dyna Beads, Go To; Innovative balancing LLC and check out their website.  The part number for the Dyna Beads you need to purchase for your coach are

RV-EZ0121.  Each Pak is 12 ounces and you will need one for each tire. This part number will not plug up you valve stems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used Dyna Beads from Innovative Balancing since 2010 in all of my tires without any problems, they were great. Changed my front tires in 2017 and put in a new set of Dyna Beads. Changed out my rear tires in 2019 and discovered that the cost of four bags of Dyna Beads plus shipping would be about $100 less than a set of Balance Masters from Josam's in Orlando who was installing my new rear Toyo tires. So I went with a set of Balance Masters which I can use for life. Once the set of front tires need to be changed out in the future I will also do my purchase from Josam's and put a set of Balance Master's on the front too.

11 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

I've looked at the balance master's website but there are many different designs/part numbers for the 295 22.5 size wheels.  Which one(s) fit the three axle roadmaster from 2006/2007?

I don't have a clue. When I had my new tires installed along with the Balance Masters at Josam's I let Barry (customer service mgr.) take care of ordering the correct items.

You should be able to find a part number on the make/model of the rim, from there you might have to call them to cross reference to get the dimensions to be able order the right balance master. 

Silly question, does anyone know of a RV manufacturer who installs these as an option new.  Seems to me that would be when to get a set.  The next set of tires I get for my coach will probably be the last so at this point it may not make sense to invest in a set consider I'd need 4 of them assuming I would only need 1 on each rear side.

2 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

You should be able to find a part number on the make/model of the rim, from there you might have to call them to cross reference to get the dimensions to be able order the right balance master. 

Silly question, does anyone know of a RV manufacturer who installs these as an option new.  Seems to me that would be when to get a set.  The next set of tires I get for my coach will probably be the last so at this point it may not make sense to invest in a set consider I'd need 4 of them assuming I would only need 1 on each rear side.

It takes one set (2 balancers) per axle, at a cost of about $200 per set

If you call balance masters, they will tell you exactly what measurements you need, I think his name was Scott and he made it very easy for me. SA-302M fit our front axle with disk brake. They even have little fins to cool the brake, therefore each piece of the set is side specific.

IMG_2645.PNG

IMG_2647.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/30/2020 at 7:50 AM, Dr4Film said:

I have used Dyna Beads from Innovative Balancing since 2010 in all of my tires without any problems, they were great. Changed my front tires in 2017 and put in a new set of Dyna Beads. Changed out my rear tires in 2019 and discovered that the cost of four bags of Dyna Beads plus shipping would be about $100 less than a set of Balance Masters from Josam's in Orlando who was installing my new rear Toyo tires. So I went with a set of Balance Masters which I can use for life. Once the set of front tires need to be changed out in the future I will also do my purchase from Josam's and put a set of Balance Master's on the front too.

I'm having a discussion with myself between weights or beads or both.  So far no one is winning.  You don't want to be in my head right now!

So I thought I'd ask the group, BUT FIRST, fearing an administrative talking to and merging of a previous topic, I did a search.  You guys aren't helping.

Centramatics / Balance Masters are out due to cost.  $500+ for an axle set.  That's outrageous no matter how many times I "retire". 

Balancing beads range from $0.33 / oz (bulk) to $1.14 / oz for individual bags.  I can measure ounces but I couldn't find a bulk price on Dyna Beads.  A 280 oz bucket of beads will last a lifetime.  A MH would take 108 oz (6 tires) . . . . and I'm due for a new set. 

I used Dyna Beads on the last MH.  Their RV beads are a larger diameter so they don't get caught in the valve stem but have to be installed by breaking the tire bead.  My previous owner installed beads but every time I pulled a pressure sensor the valve stem was jammed and had to be removed / reinserted.  Filtered valve stems fixed that but it took months to figure out the issue. 

There's an article by Conteractbalancing stating a 74% success rate with beads.  Hmmm, that's a 26% FAILURE rate with an irate customer callback.    https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/service-repair/the-garage/ask-the-expert-and-tech-tips/blog/21158265/counteract-balancing-beads-ask-the-expert-why-shouldnt-counteract-balancing-beads-be-used-in-automotive-applications   So maybe beads aren't the end-all solution?

One Amazon negative reviewer showed Magnum beads taking small shreds out of the inside of his tire.  I'm just hoping there's a stopping point to the shredding.  I'd venture yes or the negativity would be rampant. 

I'm about to replace two trailer tires and going to a retailer for balancing will be a PITA, especially with non-automotive tires.  The last time I did this they had weights all over the Carlisle ST tires.  I can everything else . . . . except balancing. 

Some say not to mix weights & beads, that they counter act one another.  I'm amazed at what some "authors" will write.  Or could be like @jacwjames and just have the weights fall off . . . .

So back to the original question . . . . weights, beads or both?  What say yee? 

And just for grins, this is what the Tire Minder sensor is doing -

TireMinderRubbing.thumb.jpg.07b10e29b592cb61def3aeac9957e39c.jpg

Will nickel plated valve stems interfere with the sensor?  They spec a sensor for brass (like this one) and another for aluminum to avoid galvanic corrosion.  Or I could install shorter rubber / brass stems . . . .

- bob

Not sure where the $500 came from, I have the balancers on all axles for around $200 per axle, last set of centramatics from Amazon for $197. As for the long rubber stems, they look too easy to get ripped off, besides being exercised like in a centrifuge. Short metal valve is what I use on the toad to keep the sensors relatively safe.

20230321_112423.jpg

• Like 1

I have used Dyna Beads with the special core valves and Tire Minder sensors with no problems. What I learned was to give the tire a shot of air to clear the valve stem when checking tire pressures. It also helps to have the valve stem at or near the 12:00 position when checking. Occasionally one will get held open, just have your compressed air at the ready. Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Not sure where the $500 came from, I have the balancers on all axles for around $200 per axle, last set of centramatics from Amazon for $197. As for the long rubber stems, they look too easy to get ripped off, besides being exercised like in a centrifuge. Short metal valve is what I use on the toad to keep the sensors relatively safe.

I was looking (mistakenly) at truck wheels.  Still, $250 / axle - https://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balance.rhtml?type=Bus-Motor-Homes

I agree the rubber stems gotta go! 

2 hours ago, Frank Bergamo said:

I have used Dyna Beads with the special core valves and Tire Minder sensors with no problems. What I learned was to give the tire a shot of air to clear the valve stem when checking tire pressures. It also helps to have the valve stem at or near the 12:00 position when checking. Occasionally one will get held open, just have your compressed air at the ready. Hope this helps.

RV Dyna Beads are like small ceramic BBs, but mine (on this rig) weren't those.  Remove the TM sensor and air comes bursting out.  A shot of air never fixed it.  The core had to be removed and reinserted, basically re-filling the tire turning a 2 minute job into 15 or more.  Valve core filters 👍.  I suspect these beads were all shapes & sizes, maybe more like shards than beads?

- bob

• Like 1