Balancing beans, experience with motorhometires.com?

daveyjo

I could not justify spending almost $70 for shipping two packages of RV Dyna Beads for my steer tires (which only last for one time) to Florida from Nevada versus spending $220 for a set of Balance Masters at Josam's that will last forever and can easily be transferred to another coach. Try transferring those beads after the tire tech has manhandled the tire when removing it. Plus, I believe the Balance Masters do a much better job of balancing than the Dyna Beads especially not having to mess around with the valve core, etc. when using Dyna Beads.

Simply, my opinion.

• Like 1

The tires on our coach was replaced by the dealer when we purchased it. The tire shop installed balancing beads of some type snd I had endless issues with the valve leaking air.

when the tires were replaced a year ago, the new steers were balanced and I am very satisfied with the result. In the future I may consider beads again, if I can find this thread lol.

I replaced all 8 tires on my 2003 Dynasty about 8 months ago with Toyo M-144 295/80R-22.5.  The guy who installed them was very good, he cleaned the bead areas on all of the wheels, used plenty of lube, and checked the run-out on every tire.  He remounted a couple of tires spinning them on the wheel until they ran true.  I had balance beads installed on all the tires and they run very smooth.  I have put about 10,000mi on them so far with no problems checking air, the valve stems have not been a problem.  I would have to recommend the balancing beads.

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

I could not justify spending almost $70 for shipping two packages of RV Dyna Beads for my steer tires

Wow,  $70 shipping is a lot,  what do those beads weigh?    I have Centramatics on the front, they were on when we bought the coach, and I like them.

FWIW,  I have heard of using BBs as balancing beads, ball bearings should work too.  I think the mystery is not what will work, but how stuff rolling around inside                the tire works at all.

I  was in a place one time where they spilled some balancing beads and those things are dangerous.  I think it was the movie home alone where the kid tossed out marbles that the burglar stepped on, well that's exactly what those beads were like.

The tires on our coach when we bought it had lead weights.  One day I noticed one of the lead weights had come loose and torpedoed itself on the underside of the coach.  Needless to say I took all weights off and put on Balance Masters.   If you call them they can give you a local Truck shop who distributes for them.  No shipping costs.   I do believe they also help even wear of the treads.  At least that is what I see.

I had the tires changed at a truck tire shop in Valdosta when we bought the coach 3 years ago.  They were balanced, presumably with lead weights (no discussion of other options came up).  8,000 miles later, the ride seems fine.   Is this something truckers don't worry about?  Why? 

If you get on trucker forums, many use centramatics up front (cheaper than balance masters) and don't always balance rears. Nothing wrong with good beads but the crappy ones in our oldest tires turned to dust. Spin balancing cost me $35 per tire the first time and isn't for ever. Then I decided to change tires myself and proceeds from sale of used tires paid for all the lifetime balancers and more.