Batteries

russ2528

Jerry,

So I take it you have 300ah of lifepo4? 

Do you charge them with the genny while traveling and are there any issues with that? Or are you just charging with the genny and what absorb and float values do you use ?  What amp alternator and brand do you have?  Or so you have some type of dc to dc interface between the chassis and house batteries ? I sure want lithium the next time I have to redo my batteries (which is years away I hope ).

I have found that solar panels can be had pretty cheap on the Facebook marketplace locally. I got one recently for My golf cart 40c a watt, 100$ for 260w. That panel can produce about a kwh per day. You could save a lot of generator hours (4 hours per day) with a 4 panels. Diy such a system for under 1000$. They sure are quiet. 

Guest Cruzbill

I asked Battle Born about the charging regimen, they suggested replacing the BIRD relay with this: 

https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/product/battery-isolation-manager-225-amps-lithium-battery/

Battle Born's website has a very short list of charging parameters; 14.4 v bulk or absorb, no float (or <13.6v); Eq, off or 14.4v

https://battlebornbatteries.com/charging-parameters-chargers-recommend/

Guest jerrygrosman

I use the generator to keep it for when I want it.  If you do not use it then it will not work when you need it.   It is a diesel and every couple of days I turn it on for the hour.   Wife needs to cook and I like toast in the morning.   We park under trees when we can and solar will not work in the shade.    I did not change the charge rate on my charger because you can not change the alternator.   Standard alternator for the engine.   I bought the RELiON batterys, two 100 amp batteries.   My breathing machine works for several nights on them and I used them as a medical deduction on my taxes.