2022 Ford Maverick

bklaes

Last week I took delivery on a  shiny cute (DW and her girlfriends all call it cute) Hybrid Ford Marverick PU to tow behind my Diplomat.  I sold a 1999 JGC with its tow bar, (yes, seller's remorse is a thing) so I need the whole shebang...base plate, tow bar, wiring, and brake assist.      The current game plan is to drive both vehicles 5 hours from Indiana to Missouri, where e-trailer.com will install for free when you buy from them.  I will get e-trailer's advice on the best equipment for my application.  Any thoughts on my game plan?  A better way?

Etrailer has a pretty good filter to see what will fit your new Maverick.  Is it a 2022 or 2023 as the selection reduces considerably between the two, may be a matter of them just not updating the database and/or it might be design change driven. 

Either way I'd suggest see what they offer and comparing the choices.   Lots of difference between some base plates.  I installed a Blue Ox on my Jeep GC because it was pretty much hidden and the tow bar attachment could be removed.  Also, some base plates and tow bars have had problems, especially on new model installs.  Some pretty scary pictures out there of base plate and tow bar failures.   Although I don't base my entire decision on customer reviews they do provide some insite.

9 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Etrailer has a pretty good filter to see what will fit your new Maverick.  Is it a 2022 or 2023 as the selection reduces considerably between the two, may be a matter of them just not updating the database and/or it might be design change driven....

Jim,  Thanks for understanding I'm searching for useful information on setting up a Ford Maverick for towing.

Guest Ray Davis

I did a quick search and found this.

Quote -- Ford’s advice is that the Hybrid 2022 Maverick model can be flat towed, but the Ecoboost model cannot be flat towed. 

I found it here.  https://www.towing-calculator.com/can-the-2022-ford-maverick-be-flat-towed/

So it says your Hybrid can be flat towed, however certain steps must be followed.  I'm sure you have read those in your manual but farther down is a quote for others.  The Maverick shares the Bronco platform so it's likely the same.  Looks like you just need a towbar, base plate, and an Auxiliary brake system.  Oh, and lights on the Maverick.   I recommend you follow the manufactures (Ford) steps religiously.  Print them out, laminate them, and keep them on the dash.  Have the wife double check then double-check her double-check.   LOL  It is important !!!,  we missed a step one time on our Colorado 4 wd and paid dearly.  ( new transmission )   Ouch                We did everything except put it into park,. left it in neutral, sounds innocent enough, but it allowed things to rotate in the tranny without lubrication.  It didn't take long either.   Probably 35 mi from home.  We drove the coach home hooked up a trailer to my big PU and went & got the Colorado.  It did not want to roll up on that trailer with my 2 come-alongs.  I thought I was about ready for a 911 call when a farmer came along on his tractor.  He wheeled right over hooked up a cable and pulled the Colo right up on the trailer.  Wouldn't take a thing, just made sure we were ok.   There are so many good people but a few bad ones get all the headlines.   Anyway,  we got the Colorado home and left it on the trailer.  Fortunately, we had an Equinox set up for towing too.   We hooked up the Equinox and set off again on our trip, but about a day late.  We check double check again, and again now.

Here is the quote

Some steps need to be taken before flat towing the 2022 Ford Maverick. The key thing is to place the hybrid in Neutral Tow mode.  This is not the same as simply putting the car in neutral. You must follow the steps laid our in the owner’s manual. But the steps required will broadly follow;

• Switch the vehicle on in accessory mode
  • Press Menu > Settings > Neutral Tow mode
  • Follow the instructions on the information display
  • Fully press the brake pedal and shift into neutral
  • Switch the ignition off

11 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I recommend you follow the manufactures (Ford) steps religiously.  Print them out, laminate them, and keep them on the dash.  Have the wife double check then double-check her double-check.   LOL  It is important !!!, 

Ray, Good advice.  I'm treading lightly since it's Ford's first model year.  I appreciate your in depth instructions.   

Guest Ray Davis
11 hours ago, bklaes said:

Ray, Good advice.  I'm treading lightly since it's Ford's first model year.  I appreciate your in depth instructions.   

Thanks Bill,  We RVers are always noticing what other folks are towing because the pool of towable vehicles has been shrinking.

Lets face it the looks of a vehicle is important, especially if some one has a wife.  LOL  That said, I like a good looking car, motorhome, etc too, and the Maverick/ Bronco looks good.    Of course most important is the mechanical / transmission area.   

So keep us informed about that since it is new.  You'll need to figure out things like will towing drain the battery.  On my Equinox the battery will drain if I don't pull a fuse.   I don't have a wire set up to charge my toad battery from the coach, I probably should do that, didn't need it on my PU.

Edited by Ray Davis

• 3 months later...

As a follow-up to my original post...  I rented a uhaul 2-wheel car dolly and towed my 2022 Ford Maverick from Indiana to eTrailer in Missouri behind my '05 Diplomat.

I had eTrailer install an all-Roadmaster tow setup on the Maverick.  The system incluces: a Direct Connect base plate, Falcon 2 Tow Bar, Brakemaster proportional aux braking system, battery charger, and all the extras to complete the setup.   The system works very well.  Not difficult to hook-up and un-hook.  The install is top notch and free by eTrailer.   Much stuff was added to the coach and the truck; in the grill, in the cab and under the hood, which I interpret as just more stuff to adjust, maintain, and eventually breakdown.  But, oh well.

The project turned out more expensive than I originally anticipated.  The biggest budget add-on was 3 nights at a Holiday Inn Express ($550) plus Ubering around to restaurants for 3 days.   I'm not used to this, I have a nice RV.  eTrailer folks explained customers are not allowed in their rigs due to insurance restraints.   

PIC1.jpg

PIC2.jpg

Guest Ray Davis

It sure looks nice being all new, clean, & shiney, unfortunately it gets expensive. 3 days is a long time, I don't think it took me that long and I'm old.

I can tell that's a Roadmaster towbar but it's without a cross bar.  I didn't know Roadmaster had gone to that, since it seemed to be a Blue Ox thing.

Looks good,

When I was contemplating getting my rig and toad setup I got a quote from Camping World for the whole thing.  That was enough for me to do the research and decided to just tackle the job myself.  Really wasn't that bad, I took my time.  Pretty much had to take off the whole front of the Jeep to install the base plate, just took time.  Been on now for ~12 years but every time I crawl under my coach I take a good look at the base plate and make sure everything is tight and the safety cables are in tact. 

This sure don't look much like my inline small 6 1970 red Ford Maverick that I drove for a long time as that was all we could afford as a second vehicle..........Good job.  Have fun...

Guest Ray Davis
36 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

every time I crawl under my coach I take a good look at the base plate and make sure everything is tight and the safety cables are in tact. 

Jim, the base plate isn't on the coach.   

I'm sorry the devil made me do it.  😇