2001 Executive Salesman Switch discussion

Hancoman

Last day of a 2 week trip. Was outside bbqing came in and the air conditioners were off, no inside lights, toilet doesn’t work about the only thing working is both tv and the outlet for my wife’s breathing machine  so the outlets are working   Tried the bedroom slide and it was not working  The generator works but no change everything that didn’t work still doesn’t with the generator on. Thanks in advance for any information to help get me going

Tom

7 hours ago, Hancoman said:

Salesman switch. Boy do I feel stupid

NAPA 781144 is what most people use to bypass. Some like me removed the solenoid.  Power out cable was long enough to go to the battery Buss where the power in cable was.  

if you bypass.  Turn off the solenoid so you have no internal power. Then install jumper and disconnect the control leads from the solenoid. That way, you eliminate the parasitic drain 

I used Victron Smart BP-65 to bypass. 

Uses almost no power, can set the voltage you want them the shutoff and restart (to save the batteries). 

The switch to turn them on/off is now Bluetooth from my iPhone (or Android). So can’t switch it off by accident. 

Good Luck

1 hour ago, Rocketman3 said:

I used Victron Smart BP-65 to bypass. 

Uses almost no power, can set the voltage you want them the shutoff and restart (to save the batteries). 

The switch to turn them on/off is now Bluetooth from my iPhone (or Android). So can’t switch it off by accident.

Victron sheet says: "The BatteryProtect is not designed for reverse currents from charging sources".  Does this mean it doesn't monitor charging current or does it prohibit reverse currents to charge the batteries?  For others here's the sales sheet - https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Smart-Battery-Protect-65-A--100-A--220-A-EN-.pdf

Bluetooth but can also be programmed without a smart device.  Pretty spiffy.

- bob

What the reverse currents mean is I cannot charge the battery through the Battery Protect. So it will fry the BP if I install a solar charge controller (or any other charging device) downstream from the BP.  Also, they don’t like inverters being ran off them (and you cannot run an inverter/charger).

On my 2000 Dynasty, I replaced the two solenoids on the Salesman switch with two BP-65’s. One goes to my rear domestic fuse box, the other goes to my front fuse panel for domestic fuses. So no charge sources in either panel, so they work great. 

Edited by Rocketman3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rocketman3 said:

What the reverse currents mean is I cannot charge the battery through the Battery Protect. So it will fry the BP if I install a solar charge controller (or any other charging device) downstream from the BP.  Also, they don’t like inverters being ran off them (and you cannot run an inverter/charger).

On my 2000 Dynasty, I replaced the two solenoids on the Salesman switch with two BP-65’s. One goes to my rear domestic fuse box, the other goes to my front fuse panel for domestic fuses. So no charge sources in either panel, so they work great. 

Totally different approach.  What is the rated amps of the contacts on the two Dynasty solenoids?  My, used to be installed Salesman Solenoid rated at 150 A, I think, and was protected by a 125 A fuse.

Really a pretty elaborate device for replacement of a device that most never used or have had issues with….but now I know there is a high tech BT switch high amperage switch.   Would be great for a car theft disabler to kill the main control circuit(s) to the ECM and/or the BCM.  Maybe for my Vette if I parked in high “heist” areas…

😆  Been there, did that, got the Tee shirt.

My relay resides in a landfill. With fur babies on board, the AC's not running was always a real concern.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2001 Executive Salesman Switch discussion

Mine will eventually end up there also. The funny thing is when we left on the 2 week trip I had no power to front fans, power outlets in front dash area and the step cover would not close. I got advice on how to repair it, but it was to hot and not that inconvenient so decided to wait until I got back home.  So back to the night when salesman switched got turned off, some how. When I thought to check it and turned it on everything came to life including the items that had not been working for 2 weeks.

It is easy to bump that switch. A covered switch would have been better for sure.