IOTA 50-R FAILURE - intermittent shore power - SAFETY & FIRE HAZARD

marcbachman
Go to solution Solved by Land Lubber,

He is actually camping right now in Georgia and going to be there a few more weeks. I told him to take the cover off and look inside for burnt contacts and tighten things up good. He’s never taking the cover off and looked at it because it’s never been a concern to him he didn’t know.

That's a good start,

There was a recent post on this very subject, I think the original poster had his fail, burnt contacts etc.  Luckily the coach didn't catch fire. 

This issue comes up every once and a while, the Iota transfer switch was under recall but unfortunately it occurred back when a number of the manufacturers were going under bankruptcy. 

You might have your BIL contact Newmar, not sure if they would take care of the recall or not. 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to IOTA 50R Transfer switch

I just replaced my switch yesterday, kind of a PITA, the location of the wire harnesses is totally different between the IOTA and the LYGHT. I had to pull the GEN and Panel harnesses back thru the rear compartment wall and enlarge the existing holes an switch locations of the harnesses. Took about an hour and a half, but it’s done.

B8586AC1-C624-49EC-9AF0-16F6162D1F6F.jpeg

1A17339F-29BC-4B20-864A-F89E889AB062.jpeg

Edited by DennisZ

On 8/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, myrontruex said:

https://www.adventurerv.net/wfco-amp-transfer-switch-t57-p-30631.html?osCsid=dr40fn19n2eg9jsu2pn1mobar1

This is the one I installed a few year ago and am very happy with it. 

No one replied to the question about the WFCO T57 and I was curious and looked into it a little. The company has been around since 1976 and is based in Elkhart, IN. I'm happy to pay more for quality and I respect all of your opinions about which are the better brands, however, looking at the WFCO T57 it's almost an exact replacement for my IOTA. All the terminals and knockouts are in the same position and won't require any modifications or rerouting of wires. The Elkhart LPT50BRD has the shore power and generator connections on the opposite sides causing problems like Dennis Z ran into.

So unless someone knows of a problem with the WFCO I would be inclined to go with it just for the ease  of installation.

9 minutes ago, Tom Wallis said:

The Elkhart LPT50BRD has the shore power and generator connections on the opposite sides causing problems like Dennis Z ran into.

So unless someone knows of a problem with the WFCO I would be inclined to go with it just for the ease  of installation.

Your right. They are on opposite sides. Mine is mounted to the ceiling of a bay, so it wasn't an issue to move the cables, but, I can see it being an issue if your switch is mounted on a wall, with a short distance from where the cables enter!

I've read no issues with the WFCO switch!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tom W. and Ben, that is useful. When We het back home in about a week, that is a task that has bubbled to the top of the to-do list. So far the Iota has worked well and I could not see scorching. I tightened the connector screws and only one needed tightening.

I know that my cables for gen and house are short and replacing the Iota with the LPT50BRD may cause a lot of aggravation. I will take a harder look at the WFCO before I purchase.

That is unless that option is shot down in flames 😩.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom Wallis said:

No one replied to the question about the WFCO T57 and I was curious and looked into it a little. The company has been around since 1976 and is based in Elkhart, IN. I'm happy to pay more for quality and I respect all of your opinions about which are the better brands, however, looking at the WFCO T57 it's almost an exact replacement for my IOTA. All the terminals and knockouts are in the same position and won't require any modifications or rerouting of wires. The Elkhart LPT50BRD has the shore power and generator connections on the opposite sides causing problems like Dennis Z ran into.

My question, being somewhat biased, and also a DIY type.  Is the switch field serviceable?  The ESCO’S have only 2 or 3 components..1 or 2 contactors and a control board.  That way, you don’t have to pull the switch.  Their tech support for parts….as well as parts for switches that are 20+ years old is impeccable.

I have commented on the different position of the terminals.  That is really not the issue.  The problem is when you need a longer ground on the middle and outside cable.  Then you have to strip the jacket back further to get enough ground to go to the single point where the grounds are terminated rather than next to the power leads.  

But, in most cases, you do a little fishing and Monaco usually left enough slack to swap the two cables….and install the switch a little further in or back to get enough length for the two longer grounds.

The WFTCO T-50 - R (latest model) is an imported switch and there have been a few failures and dissatisfied reviews on Amazon.  I would not purchase it from Amazon as you may not get a real factory warranty….which also applies to ESCO as well as a lot of items like inveters and water pumps.

A few reviews on some of the other RV sites talk about some minor issues.

Be AWARE, it is NOT a low voltage coil like the LPT50BRD.  It has a 120 VAC coil that is subject to “HMMMM”.  The workhouse 60N ESCO was built like a tank, but it made some noise and some wives….and also males did not like the humming noise….especially at night.  The LPT50BRD is a low voltage coil.  That, and the ESCO reputation, was the main selling point and why it is probably the most widely stocked and most frequently used ATS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tom Wallis said:

So Tom i have been looking at the same one for the same reason, i will be intrested on what you find with your, i have just been so busy i dont know if i found some keys or lost my motorhome🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

I was going through this thread and noticed that someone had mentioned that I recommended the surge guard transfer switch. I wanted to make a correction and give credit to the proper person. I wanted to replace my IOTA so I went to the electrical Guru - the late Bill Groves. Bill spent a career designing large switch gears and relays and had forgot more about ATS's then anyone will ever learn. He was an expert on our electrical systems. He was my go to guy for anything electrical or battery related and all of his recommendations was based on his ongoing research. He suggested the surge guard for my coach based on many factors which is way beyond my pay scale. With that said the surge guard is not for everyone. My suggestion is before buying a transfer switch is to make sure it will fit inside the bay. I had just enough room for mine and it was so heavy and large that it took Dustin and another tech to install it.

Since this post was originally started on August 9th we have had 2 more coaches roll into our service lot with burnt up IOTA's. I have heard so many coach owners say " I have never had a problem with my IOTA so I am not changing it out. I just tighten the lugs ". These guys do not own an RV service center like I do and I have seen so many close call's with these switches I have lost track of the number. Many were burnt and melted and they were extremely lucky their coach didn't burn to the ground. It will be a cold day in hell that I ever lay my head on a pillow and sleep knowing I have a potential fire hazard laying underneath my bed tucked away in a basement compartment. My life will always be worth more then a $ 300 safety upgrade.

If you have an IOTA change it. If you are one who likes to roll dice and gamble then may I also suggest you go to church, light a candle and pray to God your coach doesn't burn up.

Burnt IOTA 2.jpeg

Burnt IOTA.jpeg

Surge Guard.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

I agree 1000%.  But, there are folks who love to live on the cutting edge of a knife.  

At 68 yo and still racing motorcycles I'm one of those people, but I would have dumped an IOTA (if I had one) long ago.  There's crazy and then there's just plain stupid (or ignorance).  

- b

5 hours ago, throgmartin said:

I was going through this thread and noticed that someone had mentioned that I recommended the surge guard transfer switch. I wanted to make a correction and give credit to the proper person. I wanted to replace my IOTA so I went to the electrical Guru - the late Bill Groves. Bill spent a career designing large switch gears and relays and had forgot more about ATS's then anyone will ever learn. He was an expert on our electrical systems. He was my go to guy for anything electrical or battery related and all of his recommendations was based on his ongoing research. He suggested the surge guard for my coach based on many factors which is way beyond my pay scale. With that said the surge guard is not for everyone. My suggestion is before buying a transfer switch is to make sure it will fit inside the bay. I had just enough room for mine and it was so heavy and large that it took Dustin and another tech to install it.

Since this post was originally started on August 9th we have had 2 more coaches roll into our service lot with burnt up IOTA's. I have heard so many coach owners say " I have never had a problem with my IOTA so I am not changing it out. I just tighten the lugs ". These guys do not own an RV service center like I do and I have seen so many close call's with these switches I have lost track of the number. Many were burnt and melted and they were extremely lucky their coach didn't burn to the ground. It will be a cold day in hell that I ever lay my head on a pillow and sleep knowing I have a potential fire hazard laying underneath my bed tucked away in a basement compartment. My life will always be worth more then a $ 300 safety upgrade.

If you have an IOTA change it. If you are one who likes to roll dice and gamble then may I also suggest you go to church, light a candle and pray to God your coach doesn't burn up.

Burnt IOTA 2.jpeg

Burnt IOTA.jpeg

Surge Guard.jpg

Chris,

As an ex "Lineman", I think, you undoubtly went to many electrical safety seminars. When all the NEW OSHA (circa 2002) regs came out, I had to totally "revamp" and retrain about 100 electricians in 10 domestic plants.  Habits are hard to break. We had so many that fussed and fumed about the new OSHA standards. Yes, they were a bit draconian....but there are so many TRUE stories about folks getting killed or injured because "Hey....it's OK....tighten it up...."  You are 100% spot on. 

Telling folks that their IOTA-50R is defective....and even showing them the NHSTA recall will not convince some folks.  I finally used this adage to a Wise Apple (usually older) electrician when they would scoff and tell me that they KNEW more about "Wiring" than I did....and I did do a LOT of hands on work....so I was not some geek with a slide presentation....  I asked him if he was a snake handler?  That brought a lot of laughs...and you know my personality where I try to use humor to make a point.  NOPE....That would be crazy.  

OK....let me ask you this?  Have you seen folks go out and hunt or round up water moccasins or rattle snakes for money....or the pure sport of not getting bit?  I know folks that earned money in college by going into the swamps at night....and selling the snake.  They have 3 folks.....and each one COUNTED the snakes....and they used wire or zip ties to seal the gunny sacks....10 snakes per sack.  They threw them into the back of the car and kept filling sacks. 

Then OPPS....they came back.  One snack had a small hole and they opened the sack and there was only 9.  They said they spent all night pulling apart the car.  Never found that snake.  OK>>>>what is your point....

Simple, doing electrical work without following the proper guidelines will result in you being fired....  Now that is NOT the issue.  I do NOT want to tell your family or the lawyer that they might hire that You did NOT FOLLOW the required safety protocols and your death was the result of "Been DOIN' it that way for 20 years".  

I suspect MOST of you, me included, have been "tingled" a time or two.  It is like a snake handler or boys in the swamp.....how many times are you going to pick up that rattle snake or water moccasin.....without eventually getting BIT?  Think about it....  

Then, I got the maintenance supervisor to print out a few coiled rattle snake pictures and put them in some panels throughout the building.....

I worked. I have had a serious electrical injury in all my plants....and I was the Division Safety Director.....and I am proud of that....but the real story....I never had to be involved and tell a family a loved one had been accidentally killed....or injured like loosing a limb or a hand....

I don't know how you handle your customers....but maybe you ought to hand them a picture of a coiled rattle snake and tell them that the IOTA is more dangerous than picking up one....

Thanks for your input and comments, as usual....

Interesting, here is another IOTA with burned doubled up neutrals. There is a likelihood that the stranded wires are not making good contact. As I showed on mine, only a few of the strands were captured by the screw. If running on generator, and if the generator is a 8000 or below, the two 120 legs are on the same phase and the current carried by the doubled up neutral is the sum of both legs. That’s a recipe for overheating. The lugs appear substantial enough to carry the load. The wires are just not terminated correctly in the lug. 

7369C064-2519-4E62-8FFE-8F7B6E75AE77.jpeg

You can easily convince someone to change a filter, lube a joint, change the oil, check the antifreeze.

But I will be damned if it is not nearly impossible to have someone change an electrical part on the advice of an expert. 

Try to convince a customer to change a battery out because it is the problem but it "looks fine", and my mechanic said "your systems are drawing 12 volts". 

The transfer switches are absolutely cheap in the world of RV's.  You can buy three or four for the price of one tire and you change those darn things just because of dates on them. 

But just cannot get it into someones head they should change an electrical part.

OK, getting off my soapbox.

NOT yet. Try to get someone to change out their BIRD solenoid is a great example. "It looks ok". Or the Salesman Solenoid. These two things should be on the list to be changed. It is not a matter of if but when.

OK, I'm getting down now.

Tom:

I don't play games with electricity. I have been zapped too many times. 2 of the worst jolts I ever took was 240 and once off a 24 V DC control circuit that was inside a 4160 switch gear cabinet. That was a hellvua jolt and left my entire hand and arm numb for the day.

Sadly I lost 3 co-workers in electrical accidents. One was instantly electrocuted off a huge power bank capacitor that had not been properly discharged. One was killed when a re-closure exploded on a pole. The third one got tangled up in a guy wire which was laying across the road. A drunk ran the roadblock we had set up, hit the guy wire and took my buddy down the road. It slammed him into the pavement and killed him instantly. I had 2 other buddies electrocuted but survived. One took a hit from a 4160 Volt line that came into contact with a ground that was laying in the bucket with him. He was in the hospital for 3 months due to massive burns across his entire chest plus his leg where it grounded out.

I can remember an underground powerline with a lead splice that gave way. It was extremely high voltage and the explosion blew a manhole cover off the underground electrical vault. The manhole cover was never found. We believe it landed in an empty coal car parked 200 ft away.

The problem with electricity is can be a once in a lifetime deal. People have died from 120 and people have died from 240. A lot has to do with how the current travels through your body. From what I have been told if it travels through your heart you can die instantly by going into cardiac arrest. What saved me from the 240 V charge I took was it went into my right hand and grounded out my right foot. If my left hand had been touching a source for a ground it would have went through my chest.

In regards to snakes, I am not a fan of them. Many here remember the day I was bit by a rattler at a Monaco International Rally. The snake was hidden inside my basement compartment of my coach and nailed me when I reached inside. I was lucky that time too. I seem to be a cat with nine lives............ The problem is I do not know which life I am currently on. 4 or 9. 🙂

22 minutes ago, myrontruex said:

You can easily convince someone to change a filter, lube a joint, change the oil, check the antifreeze.

But I will be damned if it is not nearly impossible to have someone change an electrical part on the advice of an expert. 

Try to convince a customer to change a battery out because it is the problem but it "looks fine", and my mechanic said "your systems are drawing 12 volts". 

The transfer switches are absolutely cheap in the world of RV's.  You can buy three or four for the price of one tire and you change those darn things just because of dates on them. 

But just cannot get it into someones head they should change an electrical part.

NOT yet. Try to get someone to change out their BIRD solenoid is a great example. "It looks ok". Or the Salesman Solenoid. These two things should be on the list to be changed. It is not a matter of if but when.

Yea, Brother, I say VERILY.....YES.....can I have an AMEN on that?

Pardon my blasphenous humor attempt.  But, I feel the same.  Doing needed PM is one thing.  Continuing to use a $300 part that is a threat to human life....yours and the RV's around you should be a crime....

Pity that the same Fed DOT laws regarding Brakes (must have air and alarms....otherwise....PARK or TOW) don't cover electrical stupidity....

I too, carry a fold up soap box....I had to, in my former career, I dealt with plant managers more interested in their year end bonus than worrying about being arrested and going to jail....  And eventually, my input on their "Regulatory Compliance ATTITUDE" was noted and covered during their reviews....and some did get dinged a percentage or two....and then they became more receptive.... 

I was given a direct pipeline to our Division President....and if he was not "receptive", then they flew in a VP....who I eventually worked for and had the "power" to shut down an operation....which I did once.  The VP was great...and we tried to "explain", but if they ever balked....then the CEO would make the call.  I did not bully anyone....I explained the regulations and also gave them and their staff some cost effective alternatives....but some were a little more hard headed....

YES....I feel strongly about safety and environmental....

9 minutes ago, myrontruex said:

I kind of understand. If not for my extensive reading I wouldn't have known about the iota. I changed out my iota for a lyght, but the iota was pristine. Connections tight, no burn marks. If a mechanic had told me I needed to change it I'd have thought he was taking me for a ride.

BUT, I saw the pictures of the burnt ones, read the stories about the fires, and went ahead and did it.

4 minutes ago, throgmartin said:

Tom:

I don't play games with electricity. I have been zapped too many times. 2 of the worst jolts I ever took was 240 and once off a 24 V DC control circuit that was inside a 4160 switch gear cabinet. That was a hellvua jolt and left my entire hand and arm numb for the day.

Sadly I lost 3 co-workers in electrical accidents. One was instantly electrocuted off a huge power bank capacitor that had not been properly discharged. One was killed when a re-closure exploded on a pole. The third one got tangled up in a guy wire which was laying across the road. A drunk ran the roadblock we had set up, hit the guy wire and took my buddy down the road. It slammed him into the pavement and killed him instantly. I had 2 other buddies electrocuted but survived. One took a hit from a 4160 Volt line that came into contact with a ground that was laying in the bucket with him. He was in the hospital for 3 months due to massive burns across his entire chest plus his leg where it grounded out.

I can remember an underground powerline with a lead splice that gave way. It was extremely high voltage and the explosion blew a manhole cover off the underground electrical vault. The manhole cover was never found. We believe it landed in an empty coal car parked 200 ft away.

The problem with electricity is can be a once in a lifetime deal. People have died from 120 and people have died from 240. A lot has to do with how the current travels through your body. From what I have been told if it travels through your heart you can die instantly by going into cardiac arrest. What saved me from the 240 V charge I took was it went into my right hand and grounded out my right foot. If my left hand had been touching a source for a ground it would have went through my chest.

In regards to snakes, I am not a fan of them. Many here remember the day I was bit by a rattler at a Monaco International Rally. The snake was hidden inside my basement compartment of my coach and nailed me when I reached inside. I was lucky that time too. I seem to be a cat with nine lives............ The problem is I do not know which life I am currently on. 4 or 9. 🙂

We are on the same page.  I had a Maintenance Supervisor that I promoted from Chief Plant Electrician.  One night, when I hosted the whole hourly and salaried "Christmas Party", the discussion (after a few JD's) got to FIGHTIN'.  These were burly guys....and hard workers.  My supervisor broke the jaw of his brother.  He was working on his mother's pump in a rural area.  Sitting inside a pump house with a poor flashlight on the galvanized iron pipe from the well to the above ground pump.  I can't remember the exact details, but in the dark, he needed to unplug the 120 VAC pump cord....just a piece of Romex with a utility 120 plug on the end.  He reached up in a dark place and followed the line.  Then he put his hand above it thinking it was a utility box with the receptacle in it.  NOPE.  His brother, also an "Electrician" had just hooked up a bare receptacle to the Romex power.  He DID NOT tape over the terminal.....much less put it in a box....or mount it.  He said that he sat there for what seemed like an eternity....and finally was able to fall or lean over and let go as he was getting full line current.  He then had to sit down....fixed the pump. He left his mother's house.  He drove to the local Electrical Supply house, where his brother was one of the Countermen.  Walked in the door, calmly went over to his brother and cold cocked him.  Knocked him out and he broke his hand.  Needless to say....that caused an uproar.  We laughed...

Several weeks later, I was down there setting up or straightening out our company account and I asked the owner.  He laughed....  Gerald (my Supervisor), had NOT lied.  He said that he never said a word.....just busted his brother's jaw and stood there.....no words....and finally told him that if he ever did something like that again....he would shoot him the next time.  TRUE STORY....Gerald told me, and others, that for the next several months, he had a copper taste in his mouth.  No burns or whatever.....but he said he did "assess" why God saved him....  He stopped drinking and also he quit "sniffing" around and his marriage improved.  You can't make mess like this up....you have to live it and be part of folks lives....

I still think you ought to give folks two pictures....one of what you posted....and the other a rattle snake....but I ain't a good business man, when it come to retail....

• Like 1

Ask and you shall receive. First photo is of the bite mark. Notice the swelling of my arm. I bled for 48 hours straight out of that wound. The second photo is of the little bast*** that bit me. The third one is of a coral snake that slithered under my coach with me and assisted me in greasing my U-joints. He was 2 ft from my head when he turned and moved away and curled up next to the dual tires. Red touches yellow - Kill a fellow. Needless to say I am not a fan of snakes. I allow non venomous snakes to live as they are awesome at cleaning up rodents. The venomous ones is another story. I don't need my dogs getting bit by one.

How we went from IOTA's to snakes is beyond me but both will kill you given the chance.

Snake Bite.JPG

Pygmy Rattler.jpg

coral-snake1.jpg

• Like 1

Sometimes you just do stupid stuff.  We had a hot water pressure washer at work that wasn't working correctly, the burner wasn't igniting the diesel fuel correctly and was smoking up the underground shop big time.  Stupid me opened cover that had the electric igniters', there was an arc across it that looked like a blue flame. I touched it and yikes, it hit me hard.  Didn't pass out but my arm was numb and I was gagging to throwup.    I just walked out of the shop area and didn't tell anyone what happened.   

That was only one "hold my beer moments"!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, throgmartin said:

Ask and you shall receive. First photo is of the bite mark. Notice the swelling of my arm. I bled for 48 hours straight out of that wound. The second photo is of the little bast*** that bit me. The third one is of a coral snake that slithered under my coach with me and assisted me in greasing my U-joints. He was 2 ft from my head when he turned and moved away and curled up next to the dual tires. Red touches yellow - Kill a fellow. Needless to say I am not a fan of snakes. I allow non venomous snakes to live as they are awesome at cleaning up rodents. The venomous ones is another story. I don't need my dogs getting bit by one.

How we went from IOTA's to snakes is beyond me but both will kill you given the chance.

Snake Bite.JPG

Pygmy Rattler.jpg

coral-snake1.jpg

Tell your lovely and "Goddess" wife to give you some caffeine.  An IOTA and a Venomous snake can KILL you.  I HATE snakes.  My spiel worked for "smart" electricians....who used to do live three phase power trouble shooting....

You are usually sharper than this....  LOL.  If I were your customer and you gave me the IOTA picture and your arm picture and a snake picture....I would get the message.  BUT, hey...I said that I would not be a good retail owner....

You SURE are lucky....time to reassess why God has let you like so long and then do whatever your are supposed to do before you die.  I will not go into the details, but my broken leg with a 10" titanium plate and 2 lag bolts and 8 screws and a lot of PT and now having no long term impacts on walking and doing all the mess I did before....that woke me up.  Probably the 21 nights I spent in the hospital after two 3 hour surgeries....and me questioning WHY I was not killed....  I figured out what I was supposed to be doing.... and helping out here, is just a minor part of my penance....

YES...that is a bit over the top....but I have done a lot of soul searching.....and my GK's are in shock that I can still keep up with them....and that is the greatest pleasure in the world....

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 8:20 PM, Tom Wallis said:

That is the switch I went with. I talked to their technical people and was satisfied with their product. As you noted, all cables line up. I have used this ATS for a year now. I think it is the best replacement option.