Air Dump Solenoid Replacement

I have had two different issues which both pointed to a bad air dump solenoid.  The first issue was "Sometimes" an air bag would deflate if the coach was parked with the air bags inflated.  The second issue was that "Sometimes" a single air bag wouldn't deflate when I got to a campsite.  Therefore I had to fill the bags.  Besides the entry step being high, this meant that if anyone was walking around inside the RV, it was felt by all...

The research I did didn't give me any part numbers so I just went to Amazon to see what I could find.  I did find an air solenoid with 1/2" fittings.  I decided to go with it as I wanted the air dump to be quicker.  In hindsight, finding one with 3/8" fittings would probably work just as fast as the airline is the bottleneck.  

image.jpeg.8efe6a40d0588cf3f794c521231d4411.jpeg

The next issue I had was how to mount it since it didn't include anything to do so.  Therefore, I found some scrap aluminum angle and with a drill and a file I fabricated a mount.  I used cable ties to tie the two pieces together.

image.jpeg.ad5bee7515fda6b3e0836bda7c81f424.jpeg

image.jpeg.55cce3a55d7e51f514613a29f059e91a.jpeg

I had to add a reducer bushing and an air muffler...I also got these off of Amazon.  I also used a 3/8" reducer that is not shown.

image.jpeg.5e6ad1f36ef507c6348f5a08b44f066d.jpeg

Below are the pics from the two units installed in the rear and a closeup.  I mounted them offset so that I would always know that the top one is for roadside (left).  Access was easy through the dash AC coil door on the side of my coach.

image.jpeg.dd194715695c3546038afbc9231b03a1.jpeg

image.jpeg.1656be17b44cb590b53b4ee305292780.jpeg

I have always lived by the motto "Function over Form".  Like so many things I contrive...it ain't necessarily pretty, but it is secure and dumps most of the air out in 10 seconds.  A full bleed is done in about 20 seconds.  However...it is louder, but generally we try to arrive mid afternoon and never hit the dump valve while people are sleeping nearby.   

While doing the testing, I unhooked the quick connect for the dash AC coil fan since it was spinning right in my ear while working.  As always, I stuck a sticky note on the windshield to remind me to hook it back up later.

One other thought...

We stayed on a state park campground site once that was very steep from front to back... the rear wheels were about 24" lower elevation than the front wheels.  By unhooking the power to the rear dump valves and then pushing the Air Dump switch, I was able to drop the front of the coach and leave the back air bags inflated.  That way I was able to get my coach semi-level where it would have been impossible otherwise.

Links to parts:

Solenoid:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0Q4QYI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Air Mufflers:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TSKNDTR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have been a motor coach owner for less than two years and want to thank all of those posting on this site for the great info.  I have accomplished many of your projects and at this rate, I will be working on many more for the rest of my days...

• Like 1