2005 Diplomat Steps not retracting

Just ran into this problem this weekend.  Crawled under the rig to see if any mechanical binding.  Nope.  Did the wiring checks with the VOM suggested in the troubleshooting docs.  Nope.  Had a flashlight in my hand with a magnetic base.  Touched the base to the switch in the door jamb and VOILA, the steps worked!  The part in the door itself still had magnetic properties, so I left that alone.  I think the 2 parts were no longer making good contact to operate the switch.  Pulled out the door jamb part with the wires and put a small sheet of a rubber scrap behind it and screwed it back in to make better contact with the magnet in the door when closed.  Works just fine now.  Sometimes it's just the simple things!

Dennis

14 hours ago, bklaes said:

What is a simple way to determine if stubborn steps have a control module problem or a motor problem?

I own a VOM, no one ever has mistaken me for an expert.....

The Lippert is the ORIGINAL manual.  Lippert picked up CoachStep in 2006 or so.  Later on, they bought Kwikee...or maybe they owned them and consolidated.  The Lippert Universal, which I downloaded last year, is for the Kwikee.

Both have pretty good instructions.

Having had mine fixed last year, I knew....that the problem was in the motor and the gears were stripped.  GUT feel and the fact that I had a new controller (OK...2014) and a new magnet. Follow the instructions.  You will need GOOD 12 VDC power to test the motor.

Mine would start to come out and then stop or not make the entire cycle (the motor did, but the gears were stripped. The steps were also FLAKY as you could bust whatever because when you put weight on them...they retracted which indicated a mechanical issue....and that is 100%, absolutely in the motor and the motor is not LOCKED in place.

Comment. I ordered an EBay OEM....guaranteed... RIGHT.  It would not fit. There are three mounting holes and a bushing or spacer on either side...6 in total. Two of mine were split. Probably could have JB Welded and put a "lump" on the outside, but a buddy made me new ones. The ISSUE....I could get TWO bolts with the top and bottom bushings lined up, but the third was off a little bit....and even with the other two LOOSE AS A GOOSE, you could not wiggle or get the threads to engage.

CW sells the Lippert CoachStep motor about as cheap as anyone....and had it on sale....and it seems to "Stay on Sale".  I paid $135 or so and the labor was less than that. They FIXED IT. I never asked if the tech had to run a drill through the fittings to bore them out a little. I guess the Engineer in me wants the bolts to fit as designed....and the SUPPOSED OEM EBay motor would not align and I did not want to start fritzing around....

WORKS GREAT NOW....so after over 700 nights OUT....plus probably 250 at home packing and unpacking....it failing after 12 years ain't that bad of a reliablity issue.  Keep it lubed.  IF you replace it yourself....clean all the contacts with a small brush (a .177 caliber pellet gun wire brush works) and spray contact cleaner in side. MOST of the techs will use Black RTV sealer on the contacts as they plugs, due to the environment, are prone to corossion.  THAT might just be your issue...

Lippert Coachstep.pdf Lippert Universal Step manual pg_2005steptrainpart2.pdf

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2005 Diplomat Steps not retracting

Bill, this might be a fix or not. My steps would not come out. The step light was on when I opened the door, so I know I had power there just no action. There is a four lead connector by the motor. When I unplugged it the step light went out. When I reconnected it, the step opened, scared me! I opened and closed the door several times just to make sure it wasn't messing with me. I opened the connection again and applied some Dialectric grease in it for a better connection. Worth a try. Jim

On 8/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, Tom Cherry said:

The Lippert is the ORIGINAL manual.  Lippert picked up CoachStep in 2006 or so.  Later on, they bought Kwikee...or maybe they owned them and consolidated.  The Lippert Universal, which I downloaded last year, is for the Kwikee.....

Tom,  Thanks for the detailed response and the .pdf's.  They are downloaded and in my collection.   Also, thanks for renaming my post more appropriately.  Lesson learned.  

On 8/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, Dennis-C said:

... with a magnetic base.  Touched the base to the switch in the door jamb and VOILA, the steps worked! 

Dennis,  You are now my new best friend.   The magnet worked.  I cleaned my contacts with a Scotch-brite pad without taking anything apart.   It's working 100%.  I owe you a beer.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BJO30228 said:

getting ready to leave this morning and the Entry steps will not come in we've ck a lot of things is there something else  were missing we have a 2013 Endeavor 

Thanks

Moderator Edit: There was a good discussion on steps.  The post from Bonnie was merged into this topic.

Bonnie,

Please scan this discussion. It would be helpful to list or describe the “usual” items or things checked to prevent repetition.  

The first thing a tech does on the steps is to locate the fuse or test for power.  Then the next  is to unplug all the connections.  Then typically, plug back in and then repeat.  They are known for corrosion due to the place where the live.  Some will use a very small screwdriver and scrape a little to get a good contact.  

Next is to read the manual for the steps.  It may be in the large file that came with the motorhome.   I downloaded the generic manual and attached it.

Follow the trouble shooting steps at the end. You can disconnect the motor and  use jumper wires from ground and the main power and test the motor.  Then retract the steps and leave and then deal with it later.

Good Luck.

ccd_0001619.pdf

Just to add one experience to the discussion. Last year I replaced the Coachstep with a new Quikee because the gear was damaged beyond easy repair. It worked fine except the steps would retract when I open the door and extend when closing it. Talk about suicide steps 😊.

Apparently the magnetic switch is either “normally open” or “normally closed” and the steps came with the new switch. I just had to replace the old switch. 

Whenever a step wont extend or retract our first step here at the shop that our tech's use in troubleshooting is to jumper the motor using a 14, 18 or 20 volt drill battery. If the steps work then you move to the control module. One word of caution - always make sure your arms and hands are in a safe position when jumpering the motor.

One other tidbit - Many control modules fail due to water and moisture getting into the step light which is found by the motor on some models. Be sure this light is sealed properly. I lost a control module on my own coach due to this issue.

On 9/12/2022 at 7:15 AM, Martinvz said:

Just to add one experience to the discussion. Last year I replaced the Coachstep with a new Quikee because the gear was damaged beyond easy repair. It worked fine except the steps would retract when I open the door and extend when closing it. Talk about suicide steps 😊.

Apparently the magnetic switch is either “normally open” or “normally closed” and the steps came with the new switch. I just had to replace the old switch. 

I also have a (2006) Coachstep.  Over the years, I've replaced the motor with a lifetime guaranteed Ford Taurus window motor easily found at AutoZone, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc. The teeth on the gear developed severe wear but a call to Lippert and a new gear was obtained for a reasonable cost.  Control board started acting iffy ... sometimes steps would move sometimes not ... thought it was the switch but wasn't ... replaced control module with Lippert part via eBay and all well again.  Got a set of heavy duty glides to put on sometime as original ones showing a lot of wear but still working for now so holding off on that for now.

BTW, if the step in/out operation was backwards wouldn't just reversing the red/yellow motor wires work too?  Or just disassemble the motor and reverse it?  I made a reassembly mistake once when checking the internal plastic gears and operation got reversed so had to take it apart again and re-reverse the motor field.

I think the Coachstep is readily repairable as long as it isn't damaged by a major collision.  BTW, I got a free salvage magnetic switch from a shop that was replacing everything due to a front end collision on another coach.  The plastic on mine was getting shot and hard to hold in place.

FWIW, YMMV

On 9/12/2022 at 7:15 AM, Martinvz said:

😊

Edited by amphi_sc

• 4 months later...

I know I am late for the person working on their step. I just have to install the new motor and mine will be repaired.  I thought that the controller was bad. In my research I kept seeing that a good ground was needed. So, I traced my ground wire and removed it from the chassis. I then cleaned the lug and the wire connections with a wire brush.  Once the wires were reconnected, the controller tested good. The voltage to the motor measured at 11.75V and changed polarity depending upon the position of the door.  I believe that when I get the motor and install it that the voltage will be sufficient to operate it.