How low can the fuel level be and still safely operate a Monaco diesel pusher?

Guest Ray Davis
19 hours ago, RIPPPA said:

I don’t trust the gauge. My gauge stopped working after 100 miles on our last trip so I started figuring mileage. I found out I’m getting around 5.7 mpg and with my 150 gallon tank I start looking for a truck stop at 600 miles. That gives my a 250 mile buffer. 
It’s easy. I just save my mileage at the start and every fill up on my phone and carry on. 

Yeah but what about your generator?  At 600 miles is it about to quit?  If you found yourself on the side of the highway waiting for help it would sure be nice to have that generator for air cond or heat plus tv and all the other stuff.  People often report having to wait for many hrs.  That's why I try to fill up at about 1/2 tank, I'm usually ready for a stroll anyway.  My nature is go & go & then go some more but I'm getting better, probably age, plus I can't hold it as long anymore.  LOL

Edited by Ray Davis

I said this in an earlier post, some of the fuel that goes to the engine is returned to the tank after cooling critical components. Feel how hot your diesel tank is after a 2-3 hrs run in temps 100+. I wouldn't run your tank down below half in hot weather. It's no different then letting your engine idle for 5-10 minutes to let your turbo cool down. An ounce of prevention.

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

Yeah but what about your generator?  At 600 miles is it about to quit?  If you found yourself on the side of the highway waiting for help it would sure be nice to have that generator for air cond or heat plus tv and all the other stuff.  People often report having to wait for many hrs.  That's why I try to fill up at about 1/2 tank, I'm usually ready for a stroll anyway.  My nature is go & go & then go some more but I'm getting better, probably age, plus I can't hold it as long anymore.  LOL

I can go over 850 miles on a tank so 600 miles is about 2/3 of a tank. Normally I don’t go that far but I can. I have a bathroom on board so I can pee anytime and I just had prostate surgery so I’m sure I will stop more often for a while. I pull a Jeep so I guess if I run out of fuel I can go get more but haven’t needed to yet. We only run generator in Texas, once we get to the cooler states we don’t run genny much.   I blew my engine last year luckily I had just topped off leaving Albequeqe NM. I waited 30 hours on tow truck and generator did fine. 

Edited by RIPPPA

Guest Ray Davis
21 hours ago, RIPPPA said:

I can go over 850 miles on a tank so 600 miles is about 2/3 of a tank. Normally I don’t go that far but I can. I have a bathroom on board so I can pee anytime and I just had prostate surgery so I’m sure I will stop more often for a while. I pull a Jeep so I guess if I run out of fuel I can go get more but haven’t needed to yet. We only run generator in Texas, once we get to the cooler states we don’t run genny much.   I blew my engine last year luckily I had just topped off leaving Albequeqe NM. I waited 30 hours on tow truck and generator did fine. 

Thanks, Looks like I was preaching to the choir LOL it's evident that you know all about being stuck on the road side.

We live in no. east Tx too, so I know what you are talking about in getting out of Tx, unless we go north or east it's a long long way and usually hot.

A blown engine is no laughing matter.   Have you told us about that? If you have you should know I have CRS and I need my memory jogged now and then, actually jogged a lot more now than then LOL

I wish we were in Alberqueqa right now, I love the west. 

I kept thinking soon we'll get to where things won't get in the way so we can travel, now I've decided that day just might not ever happen the way I planned. 

So many things & so little time.                                                                                     

I said all that for those that keep dragging their feet about getting out and going somewhere.                                                                                                             

Time does not wait while you are busy with things that you won't even remember when you're old.

Edited by Ray Davis

Bill D will never be forgotten, his knowledge, insights and common sense approach to problems was what made this group special.

When I joined this group in 2004 this issue was a huge discussion on this Forum and Bill D was very adamant to everyone in his replies to never run your fuel down to less than a half a tank and always use the major trucks stops for fuel to avoid getting bad fuel.