Best House Replacement Battery brands and opinions

Lolo1034

So, we're on the road now, and when I have the generator running with the A/C, I can't connect to the fridge.  I can hear the panel clicking and the A/C will intermittently shut off.  Also, when hooked up to 50amp shore, I have A/C running and still can't connect fridge to the AC circuit.   Any ideas??

Guest Ray Davis

Difficulty starting the big 12k generators was a topic occasionally on the old Yahoo group.  As I recall the cause was deemed to be the cables were too small for such a long run.  The fix that some resorted to was a bettery installed up front at the generator.  I think it was wired to the existing cables, that way it fed full 12 volts to the gen and was charged along with the other batteries.

Similar issues in 2015.  Genny would NOT start from almost new, fully charged House Trojans,  First, verify WHICH bank,  probably House. After a long time playing with my VOM and such…it was NOT a battery issue, but a cable issue.  Now, once I jump started the Genny from the Yukon, all was well.

Start easy and eliminate the simple ones.  There are two ground studs behind or near the battery box area.  One is HOUSE and other is CHASSIS.  Loosen the nuts, barely, until you can rotate the cables side to side but still have friction of contacts.  NOW if they are crappy and corroded or such, pull off and clean.  If you rotate or twist side to side you clean and polish the connectors.  The. Retighten.  Go up front and shinny under Genny.  Loosen the cables and rotate or twist and retighten.  CAUTION.  These are brass or copper, not a steel stud.  Use common sense and don’t just assume they are loose and “crank down on the nuts”….folks have sheared a stud.  Next, there will be, I think, a terminal on the positive side….follow the positive and tighten any stud connection. If the Genny goes directly to a chassis stud, do the same or trace the ground and make sure it is clean and tight.

NOW try to start the Genny.  That fixed mine and the grounds being loose are a common failure from road vibration.

If NOT, use Jumper cables and start the Genny.  Look for error codes when it shuts down.  Download the manual and read the codes abs the suggestions. Post back after you do the above.

11 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Difficulty starting the big 12k generators was a topic occasionally on the old Yahoo group.  As I recall the cause was deemed to be the cables were too small for such a long run.  The fix that some resorted to was a bettery installed up front at the generator.  I think it was wired to the existing cables, that way it fed full 12 volts to the gen and was charged along with the other batteries.

Correct, but a lot were bad Cable ends on the battery cables  or ground issues.  Too small cables was easier fixed with an up front battery rather 5han a massive recabling.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Select a Motorcycle battery wth the appropriate CCA and install up front by Genny. Get power for that from FRB.  I am not a "sparky", but people have done it.  Eliminate that 40' run of cable for power to start Genny.   A voltage regulator in the power line from FRB. And fused . 

In 2013 I shifted to Lifeline AGM batteries, they served well and now need replacement.  I’m going with Trojan T105’s as Lifeline AGM’s are now nearly $500 per battery, the difference in cost will pay for a lot of distilled water.