Engine shuts down in downpour. Accelerator cuts out at 1000 rpm’s or less.

This is the 3rd incident that our Monaco Knight has stopped running during heavy rain fall. We are able to restart the engine but when we press the accelerator it stops the engine. Once the unit drys out which may take hours or overnight the unit can Rev up to 2500 or more without shutting down. We have spent well over $1000 in repair centers trying to reproduce this issue to no avail. Had one location pug in the computer to read the incident and it didn’t show up. Help. 

Could it be that your engine is gulping water through the intake? My HR has a sump inside the intake grill that needs to fill up 1 to 2 inches of water before any enters the air intake. If the drain line is closed off or not draining adequately the engine would get gulps of water. 

Good luck!

-Jamie 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, OhReally said:

Could it be that your engine is gulping water through the intake? My HR has a sump inside the intake grill that needs to fill up 1 to 2 inches of water before any enters the air intake. If the drain line is closed off or not draining adequately the engine would get gulps of water. 

Good luck!

-Jamie 

I had a similar issue on our 08 Knight38PDQ. Never did figure out what was happening! Note…when the engine started to die out the voltmeter started to drop and the wipers would really slow down too. I pretty much just don’t drive in the rain anymore! 

Guest Ray Davis

With many connections especially around the engine I think those are probably getting damp along with some of    them may be a little corroded.

I think it was Van that had issues and went all over his coach pulling each connector apart cleaning them up along with the ground connections, troubles went away.

Unfortunately shops are not going to take the time to do all of that.  Now that's not to say they might not stumble upon the problem by accident but if you are able and willing to get dirty you can do about the same thing they would do, clean up connections.

Mornin everyone, well having delt with automotive electrical for years, i can concur with what Some have said, in that inspecting “connection” is VERY top of the list. What i have learned is in High humidity AKA rain, if you have a corroded connection IT WILL FAIL! The most an worst offenders are ground connections, for without proper grounds 3 wire systems get reverse signils or none at all. If it was my issue, i would start out by looking for ground connections, undoo the connector from bolt, use a file, clean the surface an the terminil, put a coating of dielectric on all surfaces the reconnect it an move on to the next. After that like Ray says open connectors, look for corrosion, clean as needed if you find some green desth, however i take it one step further, before i reasseble the two halfs i smear a liberal amount of motorcraft electrical grease, some on the electrical connection then some on the rubber seal where they meet. Also dont forget the connections at the battery, dirty connections an humidity has made AAA rich with tow bills6F5BF9CA-A371-440A-B93B-43B66D425A2D.thumb.jpeg.e64641612c26378f7a75b001dac46d7b.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, Ray Davis said:

With many connections especially around the engine I think those are probably getting damp along with some of    them may be a little corroded.

I think it was Van that had issues and went all over his coach pulling each connector apart cleaning them up along with the ground connections, troubles went away.

Unfortunately shops are not going to take the time to do all of that.  Now that's not to say they might not stumble upon the problem by accident but if you are able and willing to get dirty you can do about the same thing they would do, clean up connections.

To old to be climbing under the coach. Thinks we may have found the problem with a loose connection to the ECM. Will need to wait until the next rain to see if it is fixed. Thanks for your advise.