Front Lounge TV Mounting

Step 1.  Remove old television. Most likely need a set of helping hands.

Step 2.  Remove old wiring. Most of it will be outdated anyway.

Step 3. Determine what TV you'll be installing. This is the most important step as everything else will depend on this step.

Step 4. Run new wiring including at least TWO HDMI cables.

Step 5. Determine how you'll want to mount the new TV. It'll be considerably lighter but you'll need to see if the picture is still visible from your seating angle.

Step 6. Contact a reputable cabinet shop and give them everything in Step 3 and 5.  They will need this to cut and finish the new cabinetry to house the new TV.

Step 7. Install TV in your new cabinet and enjoy.

IMO, Step 3 is very important but Step 5 is really important. There are many variables available in TVs these days, LEDs etc. Not all television screens allow for total vision. Some require you to be directly in front of the TV or slightly to the side. In a moho we often view them at various angles. Make sure whatever TV you choose fits your needs. Best of luck...Dennis

In our 2002 Windsor we got tired of knocking our noggin on the cabnet and the wasted space around the flatscreen TV. We bought the coach with a modification for a flat screen. It was mounted inside of the cabinet with cloth covered luan plywood for a finish on the outside. The TV was mounted on a 2x4 which had been mounted inside the cabinet

We remover the box by unattaching all electrical connections that were mounted to it and took it out for the modification. It was attached to the cabinets on either side and attached with plumbers mounting straps to the ceiling. Then the face of the box needs to be removed and resized to the new specs The top is where we made the cut. We cut about 6" off leaving the cabinet still about 4" below the cabinets on either side. We chose that resize for the maximum sized flatscreen to fit. Cutting it off at the top, we were worried that the ceiling would look terrible because of the divots from the old position. After cutting the box down and reinstalling we were pleasantly surprised that the new position was only about an inch from original. Since we mounted the TV (32") on the outside of the cabinet you do not even notice the old marks. With the TV outside the box mounted on an articulating arm, we can pull it out to access the rear of the TV for cables  and USB ports and such. The 2x4 we repositioned to the place that would accommodate the larger TV. Also we get better sound since it is not muffled inside the box. Full  disclosure, with the articulating arm the TV drifts while we are driving so we presently use a bungee to keep it stationary while traveling. Looking for a better fix for securing.

IMG_20200108_180325165.jpg

On 5/5/2020 at 12:42 AM, Dennis H said:

On 5/5/2020 at 4:18 AM, eddie4ne said:

Full  disclosure, with the articulating arm the TV drifts while we are driving so we presently use a bungee to keep it stationary while traveling. Looking for a better fix for securing.

There are articulating mounts for RVs that have a locking pin to hold them in the retract position when on the road. Search “RV TV mount”.

I removed the old frame from around my tube TV and cut a piece of 1/2” plywood to fit the hole. Used some “L” shaped aluminum channel pieces with holes from Lowe’s and put a 1’ length on each side of cabinet then screwed the plywood to that.  Drilled holes in plywood where mounting holes in back of TV are and got metric screws to hold TV to plywood.  Be sure to get the right length screws.  If you get too long of screws they can damage the internal parts of TV. A couple of larger holes were cut to feed cables and power cord through. 

The hard part was measuring to put the angle aluminum on each side so the two pieces are parallel.  The cabinet on each side had a different shape so I couldn’t just measure back from the front edge.  In the end I got it to work.

I’d like to cut the cabinets off in the back to shorten them enough to install MCD shades but don’t know if that’s possible.  They have to stay deep enough to accommodate my satellite receiver and DVD player.  In any case that would require professional help.  I like the idea of cutting the case it back like Dr4Film but again that would require outside help.

I found a Visio sound bar that’s shorter than the width of the cabinet and had room to mount it below the TV with screws through the plywood.

Ed

‘05 HR Ambassador.

Edited by saflyer
Add information

Here's what the previous owner did on ours.

This is a 40" tv, but a new 43" with narrow bezel would fit in its place and sit closer to the cabinets. Which would be nice... I occasionally hit the TV on my way into the rig.

The tv box was cut back  close to the cabinet fronts and coped to the back of the TV, with a plywood mount inside the box for the VESA  attachment.

They relocated the cabinet doors on either side of the TV outboard as far as they would go (so they just clear the edge of the TV) and put a 3" filler strip on the inboard edges of the door openings. The filler strips aren't a perfect match, but you'd never notice them back behind the TV.

Cheers,

Walter

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

• 1 month later...

I removed the old TV from above the dash and had a cabinet shop rework the overhead cabinets to be the same level all the way across.  Got tired of banging my head on that thing every time I went in the MH!  

I mounted a 43" flat screen behind the couch on a remote-controlled motorized lift so we can watch TV from our recliners directly across from it.  

If you want details on how it did it then you can give me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

Joe

43 minutes ago, MSHappyCampers said:

I removed the old TV from above the dash and had a cabinet shop rework the overhead cabinets to be the same level all the way across.  Got tired of banging my head on that thing every time I went in the MH!  

I mounted a 43" flat screen behind the couch on a remote-controlled motorized lift so we can watch TV from our recliners directly across from it.  

If you want details on how it did it then you can give me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

Joe

The TV behind the couch is exactly what I’d like to do. Have questions such a did the couch need to be moved out from the wall, is the couch on a slide and if so how did you get antennae cable to it, etc.  I’ll be in touch.

Thanks,

Ed

I have installed a flat screen TV in the cabinet over the drivers seat in our Beaver. The TV is on a swivel arm that is mounted inside the original cabinet. This put the TV outside the cabinet. To keep it from moving when on the road I used velcro where the TV covers the cabinet front. A small piece on the back of the TV and another on the cabinet in two places is all it takes. If you want to pull the TV out to see better it's no problem.

Here’s what I did. Removed the above dash TV. Altered the cabinet and used the doors from the desk that I removed. I put theater reclining seating where the desk was and put a TV lift behind a sleeper sofa on the passenger side

4EBC233F-FC7E-4793-AABC-12156194D25F.jpeg

695B50AF-C25D-426C-9181-321904E23ACD.jpeg

CF496615-AE43-433C-AB94-5D0C16B5D8F5.jpeg

1 hour ago, gburgman2000 said:

what brand of theater seating was that looking for the same thing?

I’d like theater seating where the jack knife couch is opposite the main couch where the TV would be behind.  Problem is, though, the space is just a couple of inches too narrow for most double theater seats.  There are a few,if you look hard enough.

I have a 02 Diplomat pbdd.  I had the head knocker center mounted 27" TV from factory.  I removed the center TV cabinet and cut 12" off so it is even with the two side cabinets.  Where I differ from those commenting I like to be able to read the scores on ball games.  I made a offset steering wheel table which locks in place with two flat shelf brackets bent into a "u".  I now have a 50" TV sitting on that table.  I have two small safety chains running from the top of the TV to the cabinet above.  While traveling I use the couch cushions and the table to hold the TV on the couch.  It is supported by a holding strap.  Works for me and I can read scores.  Ken Parsons 72707

2 hours ago, gburgman2000 said:

what brand of theater seating was that looking for the same thing?

I bought them from Rec Pro and I am happy with them. They come apart so easy to install and assemble. 

1 hour ago, saflyer said:

I’d like theater seating where the jack knife couch is opposite the main couch where the TV would be behind.  Problem is, though, the space is just a couple of inches too narrow for most double theater seats.  There are a few,if you look hard enough.

Yeah, I don't think I'd be willing to give up use of the dinette...

That picture makes it look like the recliners are right up against the dinette with no room to sit at the table.

16 hours ago, saflyer said:

The TV behind the couch is exactly what I’d like to do. Have questions such a did the couch need to be moved out from the wall, is the couch on a slide and if so how did you get antennae cable to it, etc.  I’ll be in touch.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed!  I moved the couch out from the wall about 6".   The couch is in our main slideout.  I had to run an HDMI cable from the surround sound receiver to the TV.  I ran the cable down the windshield post, underneath  above the storage bays, through the PVC pipe that carries cables into the slideout, up into the bottom of the cabinets next to the kitchen table, then across to the TV.  That was the hardest part!  

2 hours ago, MSHappyCampers said:

Hi Ed!  I moved the couch out from the wall about 6".   The couch is in our main slideout.  I had to run an HDMI cable from the surround sound receiver to the TV.  I ran the cable down the windshield post, underneath  above the storage bays, through the PVC pipe that carries cables into the slideout, up into the bottom of the cabinets next to the kitchen table, then across to the TV.  That was the hardest part!  

Nice work!

Don’t let the picture fool you. My jackknife sofa was on the passenger side where my sleeper sofa is now. The theater seating is the same length as the desk and associated cabinets were. There is much more room at the dinette than it appears. Same amount as there was from the factory. 

21 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Don’t let the picture fool you. My jackknife sofa was on the passenger side where my sleeper sofa is now. The theater seating is the same length as the desk and associated cabinets were. There is much more room at the dinette than it appears. Same amount as there was from the factory. 

OK, I see what you mean. Now I see the end of the corian top terminating at the end of the recliners.

That setup sure looks a lot more comfortable than my original couches. 

You’re asking the wrong guy as I am only 5’6”. 😂 but I would say that they may be small for you. With that said I would think all of this type is seating may be the same situation for you. If you don’t mind your legs hanging off the end of the footrest I think they will work fine for you