Exhaust Temperature???

Hello everyone!

A few weeks ago I added a FASS pump to my ISC (2000 Dynasty - 350HP), at that time I also added fuel pressure and pyrometer gauges. I used ISSOPRO Gauges. 

Today’s question is on the pyrometer. I installed the sensor pre-turbo. The temperatures seem a bit high to my understanding, so I just wanted to confirm what temps others are getting.  My engine (as far as I know) is all stock. 103,000 miles.

At startup & idle it says just over 400.

When I take off it says 1200 to 1300.

When climbing mountains it can hit 1300 to 1400,

When cruising (flat) I think it’s about 800 or 900.

(Hopefully I remembered all these correctly).

My understanding is if those temps were accurate- I would be having issues with my engine. My last oil analysis come back ok, and no issues (knock on wood) with the engine since I have owned it.  The pyrometer goes up and down almost in sync with the Boost Pressure Gauge (originally installed on rig).

I called ISSOPRO and asked them about it and they said everything is calibrated and to ask other people what temps they see on their engines.

So what temps do you see from your pyrometers?

My ISSPRO reads just like yours.  1375° pulling a hill is scary, so I back out of it a bit.  I too have a Fass fuel pump, and found no difference with exhaust temps before/after the Fass system.  ISL400

Next project is Snow Performance water/methanol kit. I’ll try the 50/50 blend just to see what it does, but mainly interested in the water.

Where did you put your thermal probe, in the manifold or turbo outlet? If those are post turbo temps then I would be very concerned, not so much for manifold temps but they are high. Was the thermal couple matched to the gauge to insure both were operating in the correct voltage range? Have you confirmed the gauge reading with an infrared thermometer? I would also check you boost hose clamps and make sure not losing some of the boost charge which will also give you higher temps.

With that said some of those temps are high, anything over 1200 for anything over brief situations could result in burnt valves. ECMs with egt monitoring will clip power at 1200. What precentage of throttle is required to hit 1300 when accelerating?

I don't have a EGT guage on this engine yet so I have nothing to compare too but working on that one. 

I had a Banks Power Pack installed to my Windsor's ISC-350 by Banks in California when living there.

They installed the sensor in the exhaust manifold. Photo attached.

Then in 2020 I had the cracked exhaust manifold replaced with a new one and made sure they installed the sensor in the exact same location.

My Banks EGT gauge never went past 1250F with climbing any grades all over the country. 1300F was the redline plus the Banks Ottomind would automatically derate the engine once it reaches 1300F.

If I recall correctly, normal operating temps were in the range of 400F - 800F.

EGT.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV.   ISL 400

I just installed an EGT last week before the turbo.  

I also installed a Steinbauer module. 

Your Temps are exactly the same as mine.  And I was worried.  (My last C7 Cat never went past 1200) 

I then unhooked the Steinbauer module and the Temps were unchanged.  So... I hooked it back up. 

I do also have a new MBRP quite diesel performance exhaust, so there is no back pressure. 

It seems to me that the Cummins ISL I have runs in the same Temps you are seeing is normal. 

I just put on 700 miles in light mountain grades and never went past 1375.  Warm I think... but from what I see and hear that is normal.  

I spent 2 hours looking for some definitive spec from Cummins and struck out. A lot of the discussions revolved around piston material, i.e. aluminum, steel, or hybrid steel crown aluminum skirt. Aluminum melts at 1,221 degrees but pistons don't see a continuous temperatures due to the combustion cycle.

My ISC engine uses a hybrid piston, not sure about smaller 400hp engines. The 5.9 & 6.7 liter run Aluminum.

Given the lack of published info from Cummins I would expect a range of answers from Reps. Has anyone found a published number or spoken with someone from Cummins?

15 hours ago, Rocketman3 said:

Hello everyone!

A few weeks ago I added a FASS pump to my ISC (2000 Dynasty - 350HP), at that time I also added fuel pressure and pyrometer gauges. I used ISSOPRO Gauges. 

Today’s question is on the pyrometer. I installed the sensor pre-turbo. The temperatures seem a bit high to my understanding, so I just wanted to confirm what temps others are getting.  My engine (as far as I know) is all stock. 103,000 miles.

At startup & idle it says just over 400.

When I take off it says 1200 to 1300.

When climbing mountains it can hit 1300 to 1400,

When cruising (flat) I think it’s about 800 or 900.

(Hopefully I remembered all these correctly).

My understanding is if those temps were accurate- I would be having issues with my engine. My last oil analysis come back ok, and no issues (knock on wood) with the engine since I have owned it.  The pyrometer goes up and down almost in sync with the Boost Pressure Gauge (originally installed on rig).

I called ISSOPRO and asked them about it and they said everything is calibrated and to ask other people what temps they see on their engines.

So what temps do you see from your pyrometers?

Michael the pyrometer should be where Richard's drawing shows. 1300F is the max. The Banks unit will pull back the boost if it reaches 1300? Do your best to get rid of all back pressure you can. (that's heat) Turbos don't like back pressure. If your muffler is factory replace it with a straight thru muffler or a straight pipe. I went with a 5" diameter exhaust starting just past the Pac brake and a straight threw muffler all 5" diameter. Your motor will love you for it. You should be making at least 23psi boost or you have a leak in your charge air cooling piping or cooler. A leak on the pressure side will produce more heat. What is the boost you have when you see 1300? Get rid of any leaks and back pressure and you will have lower temps and more boost/power.

Edited by Tim-AZ