Bedroom slideout awning cover

So, have noticed that the awning over the bedroom slideout it coming out from the mounting frame on the coach.  I am going to aim at repairing this for now and see if I can get it back in there enough for it to hold for the remainder of this year??  Any suggestions on how to fix.  It is still attached on the ends but has come out in the middle.

Thanks

Phil

If it’s the long blue Rivet gun with the plastic catch bowl for the used rivet posts, it will work. You have to really squeeze hard. Don’t let the gun slip, it made a black and blue mark on my arm. It’s at harbor freight. You have to extend the slide about half way out. Then unroll the awning material by hand. Get a thin Phillips screwdriver and insert it into the hole at one end of the awning to hold the tension off. Then unscrew the one screw that keeps the material from sliding off the end of the RV,  Then slide the material off to one side. Then use a #11 drill bit and drill new holes into the strip that attaches to the RV. Rivet the strip back on and reverse the process 

19 hours ago, pcallison said:

So, have noticed that the awning over the bedroom slideout it coming out from the mounting frame on the coach.  I am going to aim at repairing this for now and see if I can get it back in there enough for it to hold for the remainder of this year??  Any suggestions on how to fix.  It is still attached on the ends but has come out in the middle.

It's not clear if your fabric is coming out of the retainer trim or the retainer trim is coming off the side of the coach. 

My slide covers were fabric and the cord that holds the cover in the retainer is wrapped in the fabric.  The thread had failed in the center area but not at the forward or rear ends, allowing the fabric to come out of the retainer in the center area.  If that is the case, replacing the cover is less work than trying to re-sew the old cover.

Ken

On 8/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, pcallison said:

Cubflyer,

Yes fabric is unsewn and coming out of trim.  I have an idea that I am going to try spawned from a post I had run across yesterday with my own twist....

Thanks

Phil

Inquiring minds want to know... please share your twist and the results when you have tried it, successful or not. 

If you really want to get another year or so out of it, pull it off including the roll core, rotate the fabric 180deg, swap the two plastic beads ( the bead that goes into the coach side, is larger dia than the bead that goes into the tube. I'm sure there is a technical word for the bead, but I don't know it 😄!).

Get a big needle and thread, and every 12" or so, put a few stiches into the seam that came apart. Once that seem which is now on the core tube, has a couple of tight wraps on it, it's not coming apart! ( trust me, I put paper on cores for the majority of my life).

Reinstall topper, and your good to go till your fabric is toast!

Our awning (slide topper) was coming out of the body bracket too, the core was not damaged. The fabric was still strong but they used the wrong thread to sew the seams. We took the awning off of theRV and I sewed it while it was on the roll, and any other seam while it was down using Sunguard UVA polyester upholstery thread. That was 7 years ago…still going strong! While we were going across country we caught a cross wind near Amarillo TX and the front slide cover started billlowing and that awning came out of the tract too. At the next campground we had to take that one off and sew it too! That took a little thought bc with just the two of us and one ladder we had to get creative bc of the length. The CG table was invaluable to the job. For me, having a sewing machine on board is a life saver!

Sharon

Edited by eddie4ne

21 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

If you really want to get another year or so out of it, pull it off including the roll core, rotate the fabric 180deg, swap the two plastic beads ( the bead that goes into the coach side, is larger dia than the bead that goes into the tube. I'm sure there is a technical word for the bead, but I don't know it 😄!).

Get a big needle and thread, and every 12" or so, put a few stiches into the seam that came apart. Once that seem which is now on the core tube, has a couple of tight wraps on it, it's not coming apart! ( trust me, I put paper on cores for the majority of my life).

Reinstall topper, and your good to go till your fabric is toast!

They call it Sling Spline.

Now say it 3 times fast.  lol

LOL thanks all.  I got a little in a hurry as we are leaving in a few days for a trip.  Don't laugh but I used clear flex seal tape basically to hold it in place.  As I figured that I would just replace it over the winter anyway??  I did think about taking it off and putting a few stiches in it, but decided that I didn't have enough time at the moment to do that so I improvised..  

• 1 month later...

I just replaced both my slider cover awnings (carefree Omega II) covers.

The cover material was cheap - $80 for the 14' one and $70 for the 8' one. Found them on Amazon - cut to fit.

The actual replacing was pretty easy too. My adult son and I changed them both out in an afternoon.

Jim