2006 HR Endeavor Brakes

itdave47

How many miles do you have on your coach?  How thick are the brake shoes? 

I have ~117K miles on my coach and still have plenty of thickness on my shoes.  There is a DOT guide on this that shoe brakes must be +1/4" thick https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2008-title49-vol5/pdf/CFR-2008-title49-vol5-sec393-47.pdf

Mine are well over 1/2" thick and I don't see any problems with the drums.

What problems are you having?

I have a part number for the front drums as Webb Brake Drum 65183B, this is the one that has been hard to find and prices were $1600 last July, today it's showing ~$1200.  Rear is OTR Brake Drum OTR1601B, ~$160.

This is for my 2002 Windsor (I think).  Yours may be different.

But the safest thing to do is get the info off the drums.  Shoes should be easy to match/get.

Edited by jacwjames

Dave,

my 2006 Diplomat is the twin to your 2006 Endeavor.  Here’s what I learned.  I ended up paying about $400/ea for new front drums.  Back drums were fine.  The actual OEM drums were right at $1,000/ea., so I passed and went with a quality aftermarket drum. 

To clarify: the $400/drum was just for the part. No labor, etc.  

Dave, as I indicated, we were able to do the brake job on the rear of our Dynasty for less than $400.00.  That included the cost of new American made Webb drums, the shoes and the spring/ roller kits.  If there is a Utility Trailer dealer in your area, it might be the best place to source your parts.  I did all the labor myself.  At 72 years of age, the drums were much heavier than when I was 50.  I used a motorcycle jack to raise and lower the drums. They weighed about 155 lbs each.  Good luck on your project. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, We2dynasty said:

Dave, as I indicated, we were able to do the brake job on the rear of our Dynasty for less than $400.00.  That included the cost of new American made Webb drums, the shoes and the spring/ roller kits.  If there is a Utility Trailer dealer in your area, it might be the best place to source your parts.  I did all the labor myself.  At 72 years of age, the drums were much heavier than when I was 50.  I used a motorcycle jack to raise and lower the drums. They weighed about 155 lbs each.  Good luck on your project. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

Kudos on you for doing it yourself at 72, I just did my rear drums and shoes a couple months ago. Last year the price was 1/2 of what it was this for the parts. I was quoted $700.CDN parts and labor last year and it cost me almost $1,200. CDN this year. 

Edited by Craggar

I just had my brakes inspected on my 07 diplomat. 115k 15 years old and back brakes were still 50% he replaced from pads drums were fine he did say all your braking is on front anyway I have plenty left on rear. Drums didn't have to be turned and front pads still had over a ¼ in but I replaced them anyway since he had everything apart. What is the mileage/ age of your brakes and how loaded are you.  I'm ft and loaded

• Like 1

Dave, we all have our moments.:classic_blink: Went to Utility Trailer this morning to check the current prices on the Webb drums and shoe kits.  The drums were $150.00 each and the shoe kits with springs and rollers are $65.00 a set.  Don't think you can go wrong at those prices.  If your drums are the heavier ones, they will be a few dollars more.  God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

• Like 1

I'm going to measure my pads but visually I have a lot more the 1/4", which the spec for replacement.   I have 117K on my coach, travel pretty heavy, pull a Jeep with the Brakemaster supplemental brake. 

With some of the prices I'm hearing on IRV2 and the Monacoers site I guess I'll tackle my brakes if it gets to that point.   I'm in pretty good shape at 155 lbs it would challenge me to lift a hub. 

I use my exhaust brake religiously, definitely on hills but  also use it when slowing down and stopping.   Use it as much as I can.

I do most of the driving when my wife and I travel together.  Couple first times she drove with me riding shotgun I noticed that she wasn't using the exhaust brake.  I asked her to start using it and she started to sas back and I simply told her that she'd be paying for the brake job.  That got her attention and she started using it and must have continued.  One year while I was doing a lot of international travel and living in Upper Michigan she took advantage of it and did ~3-4 months on the dog show circuit.  I knew she was traveling but was surprised when I did the annual service, she'd put +12K miles on the coach zig zagging from dog show to dog show. YIKES!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kudos.  The job wasn't that bad using a harbor freight motorcycle jack.  Like you Jim, I'm not very big, at 164 lbs, the drums were almost as heavy as me.  I feel blessed that I'm still able to crawl around under the MH and get things done.  Things are much heavier now, 100 lbs is no longer 100 lbs.:classic_blink:God bless all of you, Ed & Sylvia

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joel Sheriff said:

I just had my brakes inspected on my 07 diplomat. 115k 15 years old and back brakes were still 50% he replaced from pads drums were fine he did say all your braking is on front anyway I have plenty left on rear. Drums didn't have to be turned and front pads still had over a ¼ in but I replaced them anyway since he had everything apart. What is the mileage/ age of your brakes and how loaded are you.  I'm ft and loaded

For cars your mechanic is correct where most braking is done on the steer axle. 

That is not the case on motorhomes.  Primary braking on a motor home is the drive axle where you have most of the weight. 

On air brake systems, the primary air tank feeds brakes on the drive axle and the secondary air tank feeds brakes on the steer axle. 

If you lose air in the secondary air tank you only have braking on the drive axle.  If you lose air in the primary air tank, air from the secondary air tank will still brake the steer axle AND modulate the drive axle parking brake so you will still have braking on the drive axle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Notn2bars said:

Thanks for the kudos.  The job wasn't that bad using a harbor freight motorcycle jack.  Like you Jim, I'm not very big, at 164 lbs, the drums were almost as heavy as me.  I feel blessed that I'm still able to crawl around under the MH and get things done.  Things are much heavier now, 100 lbs is no longer 100 lbs.:classic_blink:God bless all of you, Ed & Sylvia

I'm pretty stout and can still handle some weight, recently built a deck and put in 6X6X16' treated posts that weighed ~250lbs.  I felt that for several days and don't remember them being a problem when I built that larger deck  ~5 years ago.   Getting old sucks but still better then the alternative🤬

• Like 1

Jim, If you are still lifting 250 lb posts, you da man.  Can't do that much weight anymore.  My back and core can't handle it.  I've already ripped one ingual hernia, don't want to do that again.  Lots of pain and required surgery.  By the way Dave, how is your brake project coming along?  God Bless all, Ed, Sylvia and Sage.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I'm still trying to work with Rush Corp. to get the brakes fixed. I'm dealing with several issues (broken windshield, hydraulic leak on slide, air leaks in leveling system, etc.)at the same time and as you well know there is no one place you can go to for all fixes to be done so I'm trying to schedule when I can on the list to be seen.  I'm not where I can work on it myself and not sure I want to do the brakes on my own, any way. The Rush group is trying to get the parts (rotors, pads, seals) using the Dana axle numbers, and Dana is saying they are obsolete, but may be available from Meritor if you can get anyone to answer the phone or call you back! As  soon as things develop with some positive results I will post updates and a list of valid part numbers. Thank you to all that have responded.

David

The mechanic doing the work found the part numbers. The rears are Webb 65555B he got a price of $1,542.80 each. I found the same ones at wheelco.com for $1,244.06 but they are out of stock. I contacted a Utilty Trailer Dealer in my area Central Calif he said they don't care anything that small, Mose of his were for 30K and above axels. I tried Fleet Pride they don't stock the Webb drum but may be able to find a substitute. I am waiting for a call back. 

I have not started looking for the fronts, Webb 013-002-023, yet because the quoted price was $268.17.

If anyone has a recommendation for some were to contact for the rear drums please let me know the web site or phone number.

Everyone's inputs till now have been helpful  

I spoke to my mechanic as follow up. He said the way he found reasonably priced drums was, rather than trying to cross the original drum part numbers (the Webb drums were quite expensive, as mentioned), he took the drum to his parts guy who measured them and immediately came up with an exact replacement.  

Here’s a link to that thread.  

• 1 month later...

Final up date. I ended up getting the front drums through Fleet Pride. They got them from Webb they were part number 65555B cost $873.00 each. Total brake job all four wheels ending up costing about $4,800. Coach has 136,000 miles and at least 50,000 of the miles we were towing a car without brake assist installed.

Here are the lessons learned, have brakes checked every time  new tires are installed, always drive with engine brake on and use a brake assist in tow car.