Multiplex Light Switch Pad Failures Discussion

FishAR
Go to solution Solved by pwhittle,

27 minutes ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

FWIW, I remember sometimes back when Hotrod was still alive that he recommended making a software back up of your multiplex system.  He said that if there was a memory failure and all software was lost, if you did not have the back up that was unique to your coach, you would be dead in the water.

Frank’s post is correct…and also your post.  The CRITICAL item is the PMC (also called, probably incorrect, CPU or “brain” or the “Computer).  That device has the programming in it and if it is gone, it is a PITA to recreate.  Dynasty and above have them.

However, in the OP’c case, as well as mine, if he had a backup of all the switch pads, then any person like Frank, Paul or M&M could easily take his old switch and pull off the labels and put them in a new (or used) switch pad and the. Download the program.

I have the simple one and I have a backup of my switches.  When M&M did the backup they would include the PCM as well and also pop the cover off all switches and copy them.

• Solution
4 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Paul, 

I did not know that you could read the DIP switch settings and then reprogram a switch.  I was told that you needed the Module Alpha Letter as well as the 1 - 10 Circuit or Channel Number to properly program a new switch pad.  Guess I should not have gone there....but that was why I went into the detail to write down or document the module and channel numbers for that switch pad before the "messed" with it.

Hope this explains it a bit better..... 

Tom,

The dip switches are to set the address of the output module. Typically the module has a big round sticker with the label on it too.

In lieu of a wiring diagram of @FishAR’s coach, let’s get some pictures of what is there. A wide angle to show all the modules, then one of each module.

Paul

Edited by pwhittle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over time, we've learned a lot more about the Intellitec multiplex system.  Yes, having a copy of the PMC CPU is very important and would save a lot of time but, we now have a number of close backups to draw from.  For example, the software I have on mine is the same program used in all 2008 Dynasty and above model coaches.  Features like window shades that are in the Signature model are in my software - just not used.  I'm sure that there might have been a few software tweaks but one would have a starting point.

As for the keypad modules.  Yes each key on the module has a code and the code is the letter of the Intellitec module in the cabinet plus the number on the module that controls the function of that keypad.  For example, on my coach the galley ceiling lights are controlled by module G position #6.  So the keypad labelled galley ceiling lights is programmed with the code G6.  This is also how a non-CPU system is programmed.  So, looking at the labels on the Intellitec modules, one should be able to recreate a code for each keypad.  Yes, easier if you had a copy of all the keypad module programs but it won't take long to recreate the code for each key on the keypad.

You might ask, well Frank, you have the capability to read each keypad module on your coach - so did you?  The answer is no.  Just wasn't worth the time.  The other thing I discovered is that on the Dynasty and above models, the keypad codes are listed in the schematics.  For my coach, I verified that they are 100% accurate.

I have a 2006 Dynasty with the same set up as Franks photo with the  A-G modules.  The coach is new to me just owned for a few months.  Can someone talk to me a about how to do a "Backup" on the system?   

Also I have one button cover that seems loose and a couple of "spongy" feeling buttons on that cover.  I thought about trying to remove and investigate but now I am nervous to do that I don't want to cause a problem that I do not currently have. 

Thanks for any help on this.

If we can retrieve the short program off the old switch we can program you a new one. If we can't retrieve, we would have to know which module A,B,C or D and which position on the module turns on the lights you want on.  We have the interface and software and switch panels. I can't recall witch panel you are having problems with. Is it the small 6 button or large 6 or large 10 button?

• Thanks 1

Moderators Action and Comment

This post was originally for a failed MUX switch.  There has been an ongoing and informative discussion on this.  This topic was merged into that discussion.  Please scroll back and read the various posts.  It has a great deal of information as the original topic was almost exactly the situation discussed below

Hello again I am reaching out to you for some help. Got the coach battery drain issue resolved thanks to you all and this amazing forum. Now I get 900 miles from home and my front and side shade multiplex switches won’t light up and appear to have no power going to them. I cannot lower my front or side shades. My multiplex switches aren’t lighting up. I’ve checked the obvious fuses and breakers. But I cannot figure out where power is originated to the multiplex switches in my 2007 Monaco signature commander 45. All other multiplexes are working as they should as is everything on the coach including the girard side and door awnings. Your help once again is much appreciated as my wife is not happy about the sheet currently covering our front windshield in a high end RV resort 😫

Edited by Tom Cherry
Merged Thread - Same Problem

Above the windshield center in the cabinet is a cover which when removed there are Intellitec modules in there.  Module "C" is for the front blind, door, driver side and passenger side shades.  Page 17 of the electrical schematic book.  Module "B" is for the dinette and living room windows, page 71.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Multiplex Light Switch Pad Failures Discussion