Monaco 200x year trivia and fun facts

Ali, thanks this is quite interesting. 

I was reading through it and was just a little disappointed that you omitted the Monaco LaPalma series coaches (both gas and diesel). I am not sure if there are other models out there to complete the model list.

So, If you are up to the challenge, and I trust my fellow LaPalma owners will contribute, we can assist in adding this series to the document.

How about it LaPalma owners?

Hi Martin, sorry for not including LaPalma, one of our neighbors had one, it was a beautiful coach.

I've started this document last year when we were in the market for an upgrade. One of our must haves was a side radiator, thus the reason for the narrow model list. I can share the original Word doc if anyone wants to use that as a template to cover other diesel/gas Monaco's or pre-2000 models.

Edited by Ali-026

Interesting read, Ali. I might have a couple points to replace your question marks with 00 Signature, at least our Admiral. Front TV is front left overhead, headlights are glass lens Hella SSB 378, SAE HR 93. Used in early Audi, BMW and a number of other import vehicles. Front corner (Volvo truck) and rear 4 part lights are all Hella as well (series 5603). PIA fog lights. Not sure what the additional high beam lights are yet.

Good summary.  There are a few things that come to mind and this is from memory so others please correct me because on some items I might be a model year off.

I think Monaco first introduced house computer multiplex systems in the 04 Sig and then 05 Dynasty.

Monaco introduced Chassis multiplex in Dynasty and above during model year 2008.

I think Monaco raised the interior ceiling height for model year 2007 but not sure if it was all models.

I don't think Cummins never had a 500 ISL.  I think these were all ISM and no DPF either.

In 2008 the ISL 425 was DPF.

That is amazing! 

My eyes might have missed but is there a Diplomat in the mix? Sister ship to my Endeavor. 2008 400 ISL with DPF. 40 SKQ Single axel, rear radiator, Quad slides. 

Ivan - thank you much for well needed info on 2000 Sig. We have a 2000 Windsor and love the looks of Execs and Sigs.

Bill - I hope when finished fun facts doc can be uploaded to the Library, and with some collaboration cover all Monaco make and models

Frank - awesome input as well:
 - I checked 04 and 05 Sig brochures, and couldn't find any multiplex references, but I found this on 06 Sig/Exec/Dyn brochures: "Multiplex 12V wiring for dash and throughout interior of coach". 
 - I confirmed 2008 chassis multiplex in Sig brochure and added to the document. Chassis multiplex shows up in 2009 for Dynasty and Exec, also updated in the doc.
 - I was surprised as well when I find out about 7' interior height starts in 2006 for Windsor and Camelot, and then 2007 for Sig, Exec and Dyn. All updated in the doc.
 - good catch on 500 ISL typo, it's now corrected
 - also updated 2008 ISL 425 DEF. 

Quick question: do you know what year Monaco's gets all DEF engines? Would that be 2009?

• Like 1

Hi Ali,

I think Monaco was a little behind on some of their brochures. (guess) I have a 2000 40' Dynasty Regent built in Jan of 2000 and it has two slides both on driver's side. I have keyless entry. (not working) and a camera door bell with handset in bedroom. I was always told I had the S-series chassis. How do I tell if it is or the RM8H chassis? The DEF is dependent on what year the engine was manufactured, not the coach. Monaco at times had a lot of stock of engines and you could sometimes get an engine manufactured two or three years before your coach was. I believe DEF started in 09. 

Thank you for putting this all together.

Tim

Edited by Tim-AZ

2 hours ago, Ali-026 said:

Ivan - thank you much for well needed info on 2000 Sig. We have a 2000 Windsor and love the looks of Execs and Sigs.

Bill - I hope when finished fun facts doc can be uploaded to the Library, and with some collaboration cover all Monaco make and models

Frank - awesome input as well:
 - I checked 04 and 05 Sig brochures, and couldn't find any multiplex references, but I found this on 06 Sig/Exec/Dyn brochures: "Multiplex 12V wiring for dash and throughout interior of coach". 
 - I confirmed 2008 chassis multiplex in Sig brochure and added to the document. Chassis multiplex shows up in 2009 for Dynasty and Exec, also updated in the doc.
 - I was surprised as well when I find out about 7' interior height starts in 2006 for Windsor and Camelot, and then 2007 for Sig, Exec and Dyn. All updated in the doc.
 - good catch on 500 ISL typo, it's now corrected
 - also updated 2008 ISL 425 DEF. 

Quick question: do you know what year Monaco's gets all DEF engines? Would that be 2009?

Now, not to be argumentative....the 2008 ISL 425 were DPF.  You can google this.  It was a 2010 Standard that required the DEF.  SO....knowing how Monaco was or is and also NAVISTAR....they probably played some game.  I would guess 2011/ 2012 or so.  The 2009's, or at least the Camelots, had a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).  The 2010's were carryover 2009's that were finished up late in the year.  Navistar was really slow in getting their engines switched over, so I don't know if they did that in 2011 or 2012...  I THINK that the MH industry got some "leeway" or such. If you still had engines in stock, then you could put a "2007" Engine in a 2008....not like the automotive industry.  I know three folks that specified a 2007, PRE DPF engine for their 2008 Navigators....

You can go through the sales brochures from the Monaco Coach web page.  Supposedly, the MaxForce engine was "a miracle of simplicity"....right up until the time that Navistar had to pay a humongous fine for every engine they sold...

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/135-million-settlement-approved-navistar-maxxforce-engines-lawsuit#:~:text=A federal judge in Chicago,The settlement%2C approved Jan.

SO....I don't know exactly what Navistar did....but Cummins came out with the ISL450. I THINK, again....from reading and googling and not owning one, that it was a 100% DEF engine....and I THINK that got rid of the DPF or Regen System.  You can do a lot of googling and get a lot of "I KNOW THIS..." answers that are not exactly "based on facts"....so that is the Caveat for my response....or as countless attorneys told me....when I had to give a deposition... "Well, that DEPENDS" is the proper first statement ...

OK....want more specific info.....then go here.  Use the Brochure search.  The Owners Manuals are useless....as they don't even show anything, except maybe a fuel gauge picture....

https://www.monacocoach.com/service-and-repairs/

That will tell you the type of engines....then you do a search for that engine and it will tell you if it was a DPF or DEF....or maybe, in Cummins' case...it came either way...but, I do NOT think so...

NEXT UP....

Multiplex and Ceilings....again from reading brochures and such.  In 2006, that was the LAST year of the Windsor.  Monaco abandoned the Monocoque (Technically if one was a structural or an MEA (Mechanical Engineer - Aerospace Option), it was SEMI-Monocoque....  Oh well....in 2006, Monaco also raised the ROOF....and built THREE different badged, but same one.....or maybe 4 if you could the Beaver Santium.  The Windsor had two "Twins" ..  the Camelot and Scepter....and the Santium (SP?) Beaver model.  Having trouble chasing Beaver equivalents.  Speaking of Beavers.....here is what Wiki has...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Motorcoach_Corporation

BUT....the following is the MOTHER LOAD....it is unbelievable....should one be really into "Beavers".....

https://sites.google.com/site/beavermotorhomehistory/home

I THINK this may be correct....but some Beaver Owners or historians can correct me without hurting my feelings....

Maquis....same as Sig.

Patriot Thunder ....Exec.

Monterey....Dynasty

Santium....Camelot.  it popped up in 2007 and is still a mystery....but folks that have them can chime it.

Contessa.....that is a bit of a mystery..... it came about when the Monterey went into the sunset....

BUT, I do know from many folks well versed in them...and considered them....that Monaco merged the Beaver Line totally into Coburg....so what came out.....were the same chassis....now the floor plans were maybe a smidge different....

OK....As I was saying about Multiplex...  The 2006 Windsor had the SIMPLE (IPX) system that only controlled the main lighting.  Dim the incandescents and On/Off the Pump, Fluorescents and the Fantastic fans.  They did NOT put that into the Camelots until 2008.  That is NOT to be confused with the FULL FLEDGED CPU (big Brain) system that did all sort of wonderous miracles with the drivers switches and tilt down or drop down TV and such.  That came about on the Dynasty (2006?) and above.  Then came the infamous (RIP) Chassis Control Module (CCM) system.  See Frank McElroy's followup post below for details... Then.....to make it interesting.  Monaco (whoever owned them in 2018) upgraded to the FireFly system.....I guess it lights up everytime something doesn't work....and that is a joke and NO KNOWLEDGE....There are a BUNCH of posts or threads on the Kongsberg CCM that was on the Dynasty and above in 2009....or maybe late 2008.

Chassis multiplex system first started with the Signature in model year 2008.  Then during that same model year the execs and Dynasty were transitioned from conventional to chassis multiplex system during the production year.  If you buy a 2008 Dynasty there is about a 50/50 chance it is a chassis multiplex coach.