Slideouts

Currently I own a 2005 Monaco, (Knight) PDQ with four slideouts. My issue with the slideouts are when I push either switch to let the slideout in or out I get nothing. Its been a on going problem since I bought the coach and I'm tired of it. The front slides motors I have excess too located in the storage compartments. I unplug the motors from the system and insert the leads of the jump box to let the slides in or out. The back slides motors, I have no excess to them, I can hear them running, but their locations I do not know. Pushing the switches at times they work, and more often then not they don't. I'm thinking there must be a relay somewere going bad. I have had it in the shop several times for this matter and they seem to work fine afterwards. Then after a few trips, they go through this same routine. Any Monaco owners out there have experience this problem?

Woody

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have that problem, but I'd start with swapping out the switches or testing the switches.  If they aren't the issue, then there's a wiring issue or relay (as you said) or the slide motor itself.  Frustrating for sure, I bet.  Good luck. 

If all the slides stop working at the same time, I would suspect it’s something to do with the ignition lockout.  Maybe a bad ground.

Also, it could be one of the slide switches.  On mine only one slide can be operated at a time, so if 2 slides are attempting at the same time, neither works. I probably would start by replacing the switches, since that’s the easiest to do. Testing might not show an intermittent problem.

I’ve never had the problem, so I guessing.

I had a problem with my slides ~3 weeks ago.  The slide control module had blown the 5 amp fuse an  I ultimately  found that one of my basement door inhibitor switches had come apart and was grounded causing the fuse to blow.

In the process of troubleshooting I did test my room slide out module by testing on my generator slide, it uses the same module.  But I did check on a replacement slide module and I could buy one for my 2002 coach for ~$100.  Might be an option for you to rule this out.

While I  went through the process of trouble shooting and ultimately found removing the wiring harness from the control module and checking each wire for ground and ultimately found a yellow wire was showing ohms.  Ultimately I found this was some sort of control wire that was also connected to the slide control module, steps, and generator slide.  No idea what this wire did and why.  This was not my problem but showed me that somehow the there is interaction between these components.

So my advice is to pull out your wiring diagram and start troubleshooting.  My slide control module does have a ignition lockout relay.  My guess is yours has the same safety interlock.  

On 9/1/2022 at 11:48 AM, colorodan said:

Currently I own a 2005 Monaco, (Knight) PDQ with four slideouts. My issue with the slideouts are when I push either switch to let the slideout in or out I get nothing. Its been a on going problem since I bought the coach and I'm tired of it. The front slides motors I have excess too located in the storage compartments. I unplug the motors from the system and insert the leads of the jump box to let the slides in or out. The back slides motors, I have no excess to them, I can hear them running, but their locations I do not know. Pushing the switches at times they work, and more often then not they don't. I'm thinking there must be a relay somewere going bad. I have had it in the shop several times for this matter and they seem to work fine afterwards. Then after a few trips, they go through this same routine. Any Monaco owners out there have experience this problem?

Woody

Go to the SEARCH box at the top right.  Use the “arrow down” and select FILES.  Type WIRING in the search and do that.  Three pages, but on the first page is the 2006 Knightl. There are 3 files. 

I would not start randomly.  Order a short lead 12 VDC LED pilot light from AMAZON.  Assuming you can get to the back of the switches…if not, pop them out.  The center pin is the “Incoming” power.  Usually connected to both switches.  That comes from an ignition “lockout” relay.  If you splice in the LED and find a GROUND, you will monitor the switched power.  No LED ON…..NO POWER TO SWITCH.  You could actually let the switch dangle out and let the LED drape out the same hole.

the FIRST thing I would do, since the problem is both front and rear.  Look behind the battery box up on the frame.  There are two large ground connections.  If there is no sign of corrosion, slightly loosen each nut and then move the large lugs side to side.  That burnishes or polishes and improves the connections.  I chased a Genny would not start problem….batteries were great.  Once I cleaned the grounds, worked great.  Enough connection to charge, but not enough to start.  

there is a 4 relay, maybe 5, box or board for the rear slide.  Don’t know how many you have. If 2, then it will be 4.  One each for each slide and each direction.  The switch send voltage to the extend coil of the extend relay.  Same for the retract.  Sometimes there is a power relay also.  Typically, there will be a 30 Amp supply directly from the battery box.  There will be a #10 wire.  Since this is a common problem….grounding comes to mind….next voltage to the switches…..

Look at the prints.  Let us know.