Has anyone tried a product from this company?

tomevansfl

I’m curious, has anyone tried one of these?: ECO-WORTHY 8KWh 2000W 24V Solar Power Kit System for Home: 10pcs 195W Solar Panel+ 2pcs 25.6V 100Ah Lithium Battery+ 3500W 24V Inverter+ 60A Controller+ 6 String Combiner Box https://a.co/d/ivtkTjY

I’m only researching at this point. But getting everything from one supplier seems would be better than multiple suppliers. I know the gold standard among full-timers is Battleborn, etc. We aren’t full-timers and don’t plan to be. 

Edited by tomevansfl
Typo

• tomevansfl changed the title to Has anyone tried a product from this company?

You can still get everything from one vendor look up continuous resources.com or Arizona wind and sun or any number of other resellers. 

I think the gold standard is Victron (just not their batteries- although they are good too).

My concern with the above Amazon kit:

cheap inverter - this is the heart of the system.

cheap solar charge controller- the other heart.

batteries and panels are probably fine. But with panels you would probably be better (price wise) either going used or going to higher watts - like 330w.

Also Amazon will give you zero support- going with a real reseller you have someone very knowledgeable at the other end of the phone or email. 

You mention full-timers - is this for an RV? (If so there are still several holes - other things you will need). If for an RV - look at Victron.

If this is for an RV - getting 10 200w panels on the roof will be a challenge. 

Edited by Rocketman3
Added stuff….
  • Like 2

Duh!!!

I confused myself think I was on the DIY Solar Forum.  Of course on this site it’s on an RV… (and a Monaco too).

Let me rephrase part of the above answer. 

The cheap inverter will be a problem connecting it to your power system. (It can be done - but very careful thought needs to take place). (Also make sure any inverter you put in handles the N-G bond correctly - this is a life saving and equipment saving issue).

In our rigs - I would highly recommend a Victron Multiplus II and then run the 120v wires from the transfer switch to the Multiplus II and then on to the circuit breaker panels. 
(in the process removing the old inverter).

I would also look at the 24v batteries if possible. There is a new Multiplus II 24v coming out soon.  The microwave uses a LOT of amps at 12v.  (I would love to have that 24v Multiplus II).

I have a 36’ rig with six 200w panels. One more would fit(maybe two). But to get ten 200w panels you would have to add a grid above the vents, fans, a/c’s, etc.  Then if you do that, you can get bigger cheaper panels.  But if you just attach the panels right to the roof  - the 200w size is a good size- but I doubt you will fit 10 on a roof.

i use continuous resources as my solar and Victron dealer.

if I was redoing my rig (again)  -this is the Victron equipment I would use:

Multiplus II 24/3000

24v lithium battery (check the bms in it carefully).

Victron MPPT (sized for the solar installed).

As much solar as I could fit (I have 1220w and I would like a bit more).

Victron Cerbo and touch.

(probably a 12v to 24v DC-DC Charger).

But it all depends on how we use our rigs and what we want them to do.

This was so much cheaper than the full-timer YouTubers claim they spent I thought it might be worth a look.  If I couldn't get all ten panels on the roof it would still be cheaper than the packages on YouTube. There are smaller packaged systems with fewer panels.  I don't have a history of boondocking but would like to try.  The thing that interest me about this system is that they claim you can run a single A/C from the batteries. 

I am retired but my wife is still working as a teacher.  Our plan is to head out the first week of June and return home the last week of July.  Not full-timing but part-timing.  Since we will be traveling during the summer, a/c will be needed.  I don't mind running the generator on daily basis but would prefer to be as close to carbon free as possible. 

I'll take a look at what Victron has to offer to see if I can put together a package from their products.  As I said, this is just research for the future.

Thanks for the info.

Running an AC on battery/inverter is possible but you need the right setup and much more battery capacity then what is listed in the ad you posted. 

I only have 325 watt solar.  I cannot get by solely on what I have and have to augment with my generator.  I also have a residential refrigerator which adds to the issue.  But I on sunny days I can usually get by with ~1.5 hour generator use.   If we are driving my alternator will charge the batteries and they are usually 100% when we stop after a days drive and depending on outside temps may not need generator.   But guess what, if it's hot out and we are in the RV we're running the generator anyway so kind of a mute point.  We also travel with dogs, so guess what, if it's hot we're running the generator. 

I've run the numbers and for me it's hard to justify a new and improved solar system at the present time but stuff happens and at some point I may do it.   I'm sure others have other thoughts. 

• Like 1

Since you mentioned air conditioning…

To run an Air Conditioner off of battery this is a list of needed items:

First is a inverter that can handle it - My Multiplus 12/3000 can do it. (But just barely).

Second, you need to reduce the startup surge. A soft start or replace a current A/C with a model that has a soft start. We replaced our rear A/C with a Rec-Pro (it has a built in soft start).  Our old one wasn’t working well. 

Third, a massive battery pack. We have a self-built 540ah 12v lithium battery. For us I figure if the battery starts out full- we can run the A/C for an hour.  (Really a little over two hours- but I leave margin in the battery).

The final problem is recharging the battery. I have 1220w of solar.  I never get 1000w of power in for more than a few moments-  800 is typical in good conditions- Because the panels are flat. 
A drained battery will take two good solar days to recharge.  I also have a residential fridge and run Starlink when parked, plus computers, etc. 

So I only run the A/C (on battery) for an hour before bed - to cool down the bedroom. Any longer and I run the generator. With the generator I can run both A/C’s. 

I didn’t plan my system to run the Air Conditioner. It just kinda happened that I barely can. The only thing I did to make it happen is move the rear A/C breaker from the main breaker box to the inverter breaker box. 

If I was going to design the system to run the A/C here are a few things I would adjust. The inverter battery would be 24 or 48v. The amps required to run the A/C on 12v are massive! (Yes that means two voltage systems for the house power). A bigger battery would be nice and more solar. 

Good Luck with whatever you decide. 

• Like 1

The YouTube that installed system spend a LOT on the batteries! Almost all of them go for Battle Born batteries and put in way more than I would. 

Most of them put in Victron equipment. Victron is a tier 1 supplier (meaning really good equipment that will last, good support &warranty UL listed, etc). If you have never heard of the brand - it’s probably Tier 3.  (Cheap Chinese stuff that will last an unknown time, no real support or warranty). There are times and places for all three tiers of manufacturing. But for me my electrical equipment on my MotorHome will be tier 1.

Batteries… I self built my battery from eight Lishen 272ah cells I got directly from China. It  was lots cheaper than any other lithium battery. Now some less expensive lithiums are close. Battle Born are still super expensive!  But they offer a 10yr warranty.   I enjoyed building my battery. The only thing I would do differently is go to 24v for the battery and inverter- but that wasn’t possible with the way things happened for me. 

I made a blog post about my battery install. 

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/batrium-watchmon-install.17539/

Good Luck

Ditto on the need to do some reworking of the AC units.  Also do a little research on the amount of energy and “carbon foot” of the solar panels and the need for optimumization of the angles and such.  I really do appreciate the concerns of individuals and companies about being more environmentally responsive. As a retired Director of Environmental and Safety and other areas, I took my job seriously and worked on process improvements (or eliminating certain chemicals) rather than abatement or treatment.  I also did a calculation or two…as an engineer.  I have racked up over 67K on my Camelot.  That is over a 12 year period.  My Greenhouse Gas for that is less than the emissions of many influential individuals that use private jets….in fact, based on the flight hours, they emitted 1.5 times last year….compared to my 12 years total.  I will not delve into that area as it would not be a discussion that is appropriate here.  However, it did provide a bit of pride that I was actually being environmentally friendly….with my behemoth…

I also did a lot of water analysis domestically and internationally.  I instituted several process improvements and greatly reduced the industrial and domestic usage.  The average individual uses about 75 or so Gallons per Day.  Based on the fact that I never dump using a “drain hose” and use the Sanicon, I know about what we use and also compare it to what we use when we boon dock. I have run “studies” and I think that my MH family uses maybe 10 - 12 GPD.  That is ALL incoming and outgoing water as we do laundry and such and we usually stay out for 2 months every year.  If you read the information on water consumption, most responsible sources….both environmental groups and industry representatives are shooting for a 20% reduction…or maybe 60 GPM with new fixtures.  We, or at least our Camelot, uses slightly over a PINT per flush….compared to the standard 1 GPF high efficiency toilet.

I think RV’ers are very socially responsible and use only a fraction of the water that a normal household uses.  Knowing the amount of resources and energy that is required for WWT of domestic sanitary water, we are already contributing to a major carbon foot print reduction if you add up all the mixers, pumps, and such that a sewer treatment plant needs.  

I really don’t mean to pontificate, but I feel that the water reduction that my MH family does 2 months annually is way more beneficial to the environment than some of the more highly advertised ones,  I also feel that our lifestyle versus a conventional hotel or motel is more environmentally friendly….and in most cases, if you sit down and do the calculations, that is easy to prove.  

So, I would look at the total cost benefit and make sure that I met my objectives.

• Like 1