Air leak

ph1386

Assuming it leaks where the line exits the fitting? You push the outer metal part of the fitting in with an open wrench and pull the line out. Clean it, cut a 1/4" of the line straight with a blade and push it back in. Try to make it so that the line comes in straight and not pulling sideways like it is now. See if you can rotate the fitting a little. That could be your problem now There is an oring deep inside the fitting that can be replaced but it is best bet to just replace the 1/4" push fitting. They are cheap and available everywhere, even Amazon.

• Like 4

You will need to confirm the NPT size and this is an example that I think would be correct. You don't necessarily need DOT approved for this application and save few bucks but since they sell them in packs, might as well keep some for spares elsewhere in the air system. Like air bag fittings along with some adapter fittings since the size might vary if you don't already know their size. I use permatex sealer on them, not a tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SQTMLGY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Ivan K

1 hour ago, FUQUAYFLASH said:

What is the Amazon part numbers for the 1/4" connectors.  I would like to order some

If you are near a larger metropolitan area you might find a larger supplier of hose & fittings. 

When I worked on my leaks I just took the fittings I wanted to replace and went there, they had everything I needed.    I also bought some unions and different size tubing to carry for emergency.   I kept the the old fittings for spares. 

• 2 months later...
Got some of the problems resolved but stll having an issue with losing air pressure overnight.Have been under the coach dozens of times wth the soapy water and found slow leaks and replaced the fittings etc.Last time i was under there i could not find a leak anywhere but it continues to loose air overnight.Is there somethng am missing

8 hours ago, bonfield said:
Got some of the problems resolved but stll having an issue with losing air pressure overnight.Have been under the coach dozens of times wth the soapy water and found slow leaks and replaced the fittings etc.Last time i was under there i could not find a leak anywhere but it continues to loose air overnight.Is there somethng am missing

The real question is “how much”.  Can’t recall your type of leveling.  Monaco had a spec for a “factory warranty air leak”.  To say the least….it was generous.  My Camelot, and I have air leveling, no jacks, will leak down….using the manual, not AUTO, setting over a period of days.  It is weather dependent.  I will drop to around 65 PSI in a 5 - 7 day period.  However, the bags stay inflated and the MH stays level.  Periodically, I have an OTR shop do a leak test focusing on the braking system. They fix a few fittings.  Once replaced a PPV and I leak tested my dryer.  It is a Wabco.  It leaked on the rear and front valves.  Not much, but you could see a few PSI drop on my digital gauge readout.  The normal down the road PSI was maybe 5 PSI lower which means I lost braking pressure.  NOT DANGEROUS, but I wanted that fixed.

Others will have to chime in.  But as long as you have good pressure when driving, then that is OK with me.  So, I accept the drop in pressure over time.  I just let it air up, obviously, before breaking camp or coming out of storage.  If the temps are in the high 30’s, the pressure will drop and hit the alarm point maybe 4 - 5 days.

Not too long ago someone posted the acceptable leak down and as Tom says, it was generous. 

When I started to have leaks it was sudden.  The searches and research I did indicated that my leak down was well within the specs so I continued the trip I was on.  But the leaks got progressively worse and bad enough that I decided to end my trip short.  My leaks were simple to find and fix, I don't have air leveling.  I was able to use soapy water.  There have been people who say using a audio type leak detector is the way to go.  These can be expensive but AMAZON had a cheap one listed.  https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/route-map/denali-star

So many places for the leaks to exist. I am always on lookout for mine when i get under it but then you have the air horns valve, park brake plunger, pressure switches, foot brake valves and sensors, step cover, air bladder valve, vacuum gen, dump valves etc etc. Many of them not under the bus. My leveling holds and that's what counts for me. If your leak slows down below ~60psi, the accessories would be my target.

Some my leaks: fittings at front air tank, park brake, and a $1 o ring at the air dryer. As above, many possibilities are there.  Mine now mostly holds for 24 hours but is always losing pressure when off.  Brake tests stay true. So I'm ok w that. 

23 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Not too long ago someone posted the acceptable leak down and as Tom says, it was generous. 

When I started to have leaks it was sudden.  The searches and research I did indicated that my leak down was well within the specs so I continued the trip I was on.  But the leaks got progressively worse and bad enough that I decided to end my trip short.  My leaks were simple to find and fix, I don't have air leveling.  I was able to use soapy water.  There have been people who say using a audio type leak detector is the way to go.  These can be expensive but AMAZON had a cheap one listed.  https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/route-map/denali-star

Not sure why the link I posted above was wrong

https://www.amazon.com/allsun-Electrical-Stethoscope-Diagnostic-100Hz-10kHz/dp/B0796N3G4Z/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1KE5JY9P535C1&keywords=audio+air+leak+detector&qid=1668264686&sprefix=audio+air+leak+detecto%2Caps%2C691&sr=8-1