Chases battery drain.

pcallison

I didn't turn chassis switch off before pulling it in to get ready for a trip.  Went to start it and deader than a doornail.  I assumed that there was a battery tender set up while connected to shore power, but totally wrong.  Still new to this stuff.  I will have to research more after I get back from the trip.

Phil - not sure what you meant by "pulling it in"... was the coach just parked while you were loading up the coach?   How long did it sit?   And are you taking about the battery cutoffs in the battery bay (one for the house ans one for the chassis)?

Best - Steve P

Some motorhomes charge only the coach batteries on shore power and some were designed to charge both chassis and coach on shore power. If it's not charging both sets it could be by design or a malfunction in either case it's not that hard to resolve. There have been many discussions on this forum with lots of suggestion on how to both diagnose and resolve the issue. If you browse through the battery or charging system topics I'm sure you'll find lots of info.

The other side of the coin is, your chassis batteries should not go dead in a matter of days with the key turned off unless there's a drain. If that's the case let us know there are a number of ways to track that down.

Edited by Tom Wallis

6 hours ago, pcallison said:

I didn't turn chassis switch off before pulling it in to get ready for a trip.  Went to start it and deader than a doornail.  I assumed that there was a battery tender set up while connected to shore power, but totally wrong.  Still new to this stuff.  I will have to research more after I get back from the trip.

Unless someone installed an aftermarket maintainer….which is typically the LmBert or Ample Start….you have no way to charge the chassis Battery while plugged it.  Don’t know about the condition of the Chassis batteries.  But just parking and not turning off the batteries should not have drained good batteries for that short a period.

The maintainers are actually, “thieves”.  They steal voltage from the house.  If plugged in, then the House will be OK.  But parked without power, they will drain them down.  The thing you need to understand.  If you use a simple Jumper cable from the positive of the house to the Chassis will actually maintain or charge the batteries.  That assumes you have good house and they are being properly charged.

I would put on a Jumper cable.  Overnight assuming that the house is being charged, the chassis should charge back up and start.  Then drive it and charge the chassis batteries while driving.  Use the Jumper cable as your “maintainer”.  Then you need to have your chassis load tested.  If they were really discharged so,that you could not hear the Solenoid click….then they are probably “toast”.  You also might need to the charging circuit tested.  You also need to be aware if you have a faulty alternator, with bad diodes…..that will drain the battery….quickly, 

Under NO circumstance should you buy a new one.  Have the Leece Neville alternator rebuilt….using GENUINE Leece Nevill parts….not imported.  The shop can test your rig to see if you have a parasitic load.

Good Luck…