black water tank sensors

Terryjean

Back to a recent topic.  Where are the black water tank cencers located ? Are they at the bottom of the holding tank or the top. ?  I want to try the Happy Camper black water cleaner and need to know if I should fill the whole tank to reach cencers .  Can any one help?

Thanks TJ

2 minutes ago, Terryjean said:

Back to a recent topic.  Where are the black water tank cencers located ? Are they at the bottom of the holding tank or the top. ?  I want to try the Happy Camper black water cleaner and need to know if I should fill the whole tank to reach cencers .  Can any one help?

Thanks TJ

Type and location of tank sensors all depend on the year and make of your coach.   Do you have a 1999 Diplomat? 

Please edit your signature line to include this information on all future posts.

• Like 1

Do you have an Aladdin system?  If so, then the sensors are screwed into the side near the bottom of each tank.

You can find them by following the RJ11 telephone cable to each sensor.  

On mine, the fresh water one is on the pass side and the black and gray are on the driver side of the tanks. 

I've tried cleaning them and it doesn't work.  I just replace them every few years (they used to be much cheaper).  

Aladdin Tank Sensor 16622728 - Northwest RV Supply (nwrvsupply.com) 

I have an 09 Knight and I can see all sensor’s from the wet bay.

Thank y'all 

I don't know if I have Alladin or not .  I will look to see if I see them in wet bay.  I don't know how to replace. Do you pull the whole tank out?

tj

Update,  went and looked can't see any cencers.  I have a panle over the tanks.  So are they inside the tank?

The sensors on my 2000 dynasty, were at the expected heights. So if you are cleaning your tank  from the inside you will want it full-ish.

My original system died, I replaced it with a Seelevel II by Garnet. Works much better! Gives accurate % and levels every 3 or 4%. So 53% 56% 60%.

I also added another display in my wet bay. Second best upgrade done!73687A6B-B90B-4728-9161-4BB3514465A7.thumb.jpeg.16bb349d95971f0c2b9facab8a8b8238.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Terryjean said:

I have one of those in the bath room, but it doesnt read right.  SO if thats it I can replace it. But how does it work?  I mean are there sencors in the tank its self that relay to the panle 

Let’s start from the beginning,  In the later Diplomats up to the Camelots, the “level sensing” system was at best, primitive.  There is a simple “push me” switch that connects to the sensors.  There is a *GROUND” or common sensor in the lower section of the tank.  There are 4 additional sensors that run up the side of the tank.  Each one is about 1/4th of the way from the next.  There is 12 VDC or applied. So, the water provides a circuit (carries the voltage) from the ground to where ever the water level is.  Thus, if the water is above the second one or the 50% level, the lights will show HALF FULL.  These sensors are nothing more but brass rods or posts.  They have wires attached to them.  The issue, mostly in the black tank, is that “crud” builds up on the sides.  That crud is waste and TP residue,  When you drain the tank, there is still residue on the side walls and it is on top or bolts or rods or “sensors”.  FINE if the crud is dry.  But, as you use the tank and put water in, it wicks up the sides of the crud and the circuit is made.  The water level is much lower.  But the level lights read more.  You can try to clean the tanks.  Many do, but it is tough to get it all out.  Drive down the highway….the liquid sloshes around.  My tanks will show maybe 50% full when I get to a CG, but I know there is barely any liquid.  It does dry out….and the next morning….it reads a little less….maybe 25%.  But…there is NO WAY it is even close to 25%.

OK…..now, you need to take a picture.  The system that I described is the simple and cheap one.  The one in the picture above that says “SEE LEVEL II is an aftermarket. It does NOT use metal probes or posts or “nails” inside the tank,  it works on what is called “capacitance”.  That means that there is a LONG “sensor” taped to the OUTSIDE and the tank.  You can look it up, but it is basically like a large, wide and THICK strip of Duct Tape….filled with an electronic circuit.  The level of the water in the tank is read, magically…LOL, but the external strip.  That then sends a signal to a meter or a monitor.  That is measured precisely…..and gives you a very accurate reading…. NOW, the tanks MUST be cleaned periodically and can’t have all the crud.  But it works more reliably.  It is called “capacitance”.  If you ever use an elevator that does NOT have a button that moves or is pressed in….you just “touch” it and your body messes up a circuit and it KNOWS you pressed or touched it.  The See Level senses where the level is….just like the elevator button senses your touch.  

OK….to your question.  No matter if you have the simple (rods in the side of the tank at 4 places equally spaced up the side….and 4 idiot lights on a display, you need to clean it periodically.  The crud and crap is near the bottom….but it can be close to the top.  A lot of folks will dump at a CG and then fill the tank half full.  You have a placard that tells you about how many gallons in it.  Use whatever amount for 3/4ths of that.  Fill up the tank about half full.  Drive home.  Use rest stops or fuel stops and don’t use the toilet.  Let it sit for a day or even a week.  Dump it.  If you have a back flush….use it.  Otherwise, take a garden hose inside and run water to down the toilet …let it sit, then dump.

If you DO have the See Level, Google the manual.  Read up on how to clean it,  it is the SAME. Get the crud out of it and off the sides,

Hope this explains it.

Do a search on this site for “See level “. Look for a thread called something like “See level gauge and propane”.

It has pictures of my install plus a couple of others. If I remember correctly one was a Diplomat.  

You place one green sensor on each of the tanks (probably 6” for grey & black & 12” for fresh) then one set of wires goes to each monitor. I added a monitor in my wet bay - awesome for dumping and filling! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom Cherry.  It does help. I just have a panel in front of my tanks out side in the bays. I would have to in screw this panel and kinda worry I won’t get it back on. But the next time I’m in Ft Myers Rv park I will see if someone can help. Thank you again. 

Thanks Rocketman smart  . Is there a video to watch ?

tj 

1 hour ago, Terryjean said:

Thanks Tom Cherry.  It does help. I just have a panel in front of my tanks out side in the bays. I would have to in screw this panel and kinda worry I won’t get it back on. But the next time I’m in Ft Myers Rv park I will see if someone can help. Thank you again. 

Thanks Rocketman smart  . Is there a video to watch ?

tj 

The “infamous” panel removal varies from a piece of cake to a 2 day PITA brute force removal.  On the later Camelots, it took two men and a strong boy to bend the panel enough to get it out.  Some folks have used a saber saw and cut it. Then they used a strip or 2” wide plastic or aluminum as a “mending seam” when they reinstalled it.  You also have to pull off all the wiring and plumbing.  

NOW….there are Monaco’s that don’t have the panel.  You can see the sides of each tank.  I don’t know which ones…but on the Camelot, I decided that not knowing to the nearest percent of how full or how empty my tanks were…..was NOT worth the hassle of tearing apart my wet bay.

My gray tank is fairly accurate.  So, I use the Monaco simple probes and digital lights.  I was out for 4 days with my wife last week,  We had a home well problem and had brought the Camelot home for “showers and potty”.  We used it for 5 days.  Maybe flushed the inside potty once or twice with a bucket.  We showered out there.

We kept the Camelot at home for a few days more.  Then we packed and headed for the Beach.  I dumped the gray tank as I didn’t want to carry the extra water.  But did not dump the black tank.  Before we left the beach, I decided to dump the black.  I use a Sanicon, so I know about how long it takes.  My black was bumping, when you pushed the “display” button.  Based on the run time, it was probably less than 1/2 full.  I also know that from flushing the toilet.  If it gets close to full. You can tell it by the sound.  So, gauges say getting close to full.  Sanicon says….1/2 full.  

Bottom line…for my needs, I never use the Stinky Slinky.  My Sanicon stays hooked up.  I use the gray water, since it has soap, as a back flush or a “cleaner” on the black.  NOW, the folks that full time might need more precise measurements.  I know 2 Camelot owners that were full time and they both installed the SeeLevel. BUT both said that they would never do that again as it was one of the toughest reassembles that they had ever done.  Neither was a novice DIY.  One cut a hole behind his Microwave and installed an external vent….and did a lot of other, complex projects.

You make the call for the need…

• Tom Cherry changed the title to black water tank sensors