Rear engine hatch lift cylinders

Anyone replace the gas shock lift cylinders on a 2000 Dynasty 38 foot?

Mine have gotten weak, & don't hold hatch up very well.

There are no visible markings to be seen.

I took some measurements, 26 & 1/4" extended, (center of ball to center of ball), with unit removed.

9 & 3/4 travel.

The balls they go on are 10MM.

The unknown item is the weight they support.

They must be pretty strong, because with 1 removed, it takes a lot to pick up the hatch.

Thank You

Dave P

This is what we bought as a replacement for the missing strut that had also had a broken stud bc of rubbing against the air filter vent pipe. We are replacing all three.

Sharon

2002 Windsor 

IMG_6737.PNG

IMG_6735.PNG

IMG_6846.PNG

I agree that 150# might be overkill but that is what was on the other side. HINDSIGHT! We ordered 2, a pair and a spare idea, but ended up using the second on the bed- way overkill! Bothe areas had been used for years with only one prop!

10 hours ago, eddie4ne said:

This is what we bought as a replacement for the missing strut that had also had a broken stud bc of rubbing against the air filter vent pipe. We are replacing all three.

Sharon

2002 Windsor 

IMG_6737.PNG

IMG_6735.PNG

IMG_6846.PNG

I need to replace my air intake hose as well, that looks like it will hold up. Did you use the whole piece,  or cut it down?

We have not installed yet but we are planning to cut it in half. I think that we could third it but do want to impinge the hinges. We are planning to reuse the clamps that are currently in use.

10 hours ago, eddie4ne said:

We have not installed yet but we are planning to cut it in half. I think that we could third it but do want to impinge the hinges. We are planning to reuse the clamps that are currently in use.

I am thinking if using it collapsed would be stronger.

So you used 1 of the new 150# lifts on one side, & left the original on the other?

I am thinking of trying a pair of 100#.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:53 AM, erperry_44 said:

I replaced mine last year. 100#. Got them on Amazon.

Do you happen to have the part number?

46 minutes ago, erperry_44 said:

Suspa C16-08054 C1608054 20" Gas Prop, Quantity (2), Force 100 Lbs Per Prop, Force Per Set 200 Lbs on Amazon

You find they are a good strength for the cantilevered rear hood?

Thank You

This is an old post i had filed away, posted by another member. 

In March I requested help with determining the pounds for a "2004" Dynasty engine compartment door but failed to get the information needed, so did my own research and will pass this along for anyone interested. The struts were ordered through Suspa for less monies than some of the other suggested sites.

The struts were made by the following:    "2004: Dynasty--Part #C16-12181--150lbs each 

Suspa Inc (esupport@suspa-inc.net)
3970 Roger B Chaffee Mem Dr Se
Grand Rapids, MI 49548
616-241-4200

That flexible ducting you are considering replacing causes a huge amount of "air friction"  That's why truckers use rubber fittings and aluminum tubing for the air intake . Here is a link, https://www.intakehoses.com/  to a great site with all the items you need to convert to that. Room may be an issue for you. I did it on a 07 Executive with a ISX 525 Cummins.  

Paul A

Edited by Paul A.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:02 PM, Dave Pumphrey said:

I need to replace my air intake hose as well, that looks like it will hold up. Did you use the whole piece,  or cut it down?

Installed the air intake today. We ended up cutting the 10' in half. It is on but it was a booger to get on the flange of the air filter and upper as well. The diameter is 7"OD and the flanges are 7 ID. The aluminum is quite thin and wanted to rip in the coils. As a reinforcement at both ends we reinforced with gorilla glue duck tape (that is some strong stuff).

On 5/11/2020 at 1:10 PM, Paul A. said:

The struts were made by the following:    "2004: Dynasty--Part #C16-12181--150lbs each 

Several have said the 150 LBS was too much, so I ordered a pair of the 100 LB ones.

If they prove to not be strong enough, I will go with these.

Thanks for the input, I will post results when  I receive them next week.

8 hours ago, eddie4ne said:

Installed the air intake today. We ended up cutting the 10' in half. It is on but it was a booger to get on the flange of the air filter and upper as well. The diameter is 7"OD and the flanges are 7 ID. The aluminum is quite thin and wanted to rip in the coils. As a reinforcement at both ends we reinforced with gorilla glue duck tape (that is some strong stuff).

I may re-think this option...

On 5/11/2020 at 1:10 PM, Paul A. said:

This is an old post i had filed away, posted by another member. 

In March I requested help with determining the pounds for a "2004" Dynasty engine compartment door but failed to get the information needed, so did my own research and will pass this along for anyone interested. The struts were ordered through Suspa for less monies than some of the other suggested sites.

Suspa Inc (esupport@suspa-inc.net)
3970 Roger B Chaffee Mem Dr Se
Grand Rapids, MI 49548
616-241-4200

That flexible ducting you are considering replacing causes a huge amount of "air friction"  That's why truckers use rubber fittings and aluminum tubing for the air intake . Here is a link, https://www.intakehoses.com/  to a great site with all the items you need to convert to that. Room may be an issue for you. I did it on a 07 Executive with a ISX 525 Cummins.  

Paul A

I ordered them today.

Thank You.

• 1 month later...