The Trip from Hell Final Update

I haven't posted anything because nothing has changed, till now! We have been looking for an engine for this rig, with no luck. Thought I found one in Arizona but the deal fell through and the mechanic has been looking around Seattle and so far nada.  Just got off the phone with the mechanic and the property he is located on has been sold and he has to move. Meaning the motor home has to go. Anyone want a 1997 Monaco Dynasty complete with blown engine? I don't know what else to do. The rig is in Seattle and we are in Montana. I'm open to Ideas because I'm at my wits end. Anyone got a spare Cummins 8.3 325 laying around they would like to part with? 

I do want to thank all of the people who were of assistance during this ordeal.

Thank you all.

John

John

Have to ask , have you tried to source an engine from across the border? As you know your only a ferry ride away,they are relaxing the border restrictions at the end of the month,your money is worth more and welcomed in Canada  eh! I mentioned before on this site,try Alberta Coach and Chassis as well as  the Vancouver area,lots of yards in those areas with treasures. 

Best of luck

Wayne 

1999 signature ceaser 

1 hour ago, just_john1 said:

I haven't posted anything because nothing has changed, till now! We have been looking for an engine for this rig, with no luck. Thought I found one in Arizona but the deal fell through and the mechanic has been looking around Seattle and so far nada.  Just got off the phone with the mechanic and the property he is located on has been sold and he has to move. Meaning the motor home has to go. Anyone want a 1997 Monaco Dynasty complete with blown engine? I don't know what else to do. The rig is in Seattle and we are in Montana. I'm open to Ideas because I'm at my wits end. Anyone got a spare Cummins 8.3 325 laying around they would like to part with? 

I do want to thank all of the people who were of assistance during this ordeal.

Thank you all.

John

John

I was just on the website for Premier Used Truck parts in Thunder Bay Ontario, just 45 minutes from USA border,I know Kevin well,he does ship lots of parts to the USA, I seem one 400 Cummings on the web site for $9000.00 Canadian dollars, if you search and find something I would be willing to go over and speak with him as well.

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

• Like 1

Have you been following this topic?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flyinhy said:

Try giving a call to Kerns truck parts in atlanta. I know it's a long way for shipping but I'm almost positive they have anything you need. 

Ok, I will try them. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Bob Schmeckpeper said:

So sorry to see this. It seems like you can't win no matter what you do.  

Yeah, that just seems to be my luck sometimes. I’m not giving up yet.

• Like 1

If you find a engine I will get you a good rate on shipping. Just let me know the zip code and I'll get you a Quote. Is yours a mechanical pump? I  might know of a complete engine but it is mechanical pump. 

3 hours ago, Simplysmn said:

If you find a engine I will get you a good rate on shipping. Just let me know the zip code and I'll get you a Quote. Is yours a mechanical pump? I  might know of a complete engine but it is mechanical pump. 

Great! I can use all of the help I can get. 

48 minutes ago, just_john1 said:

I will call the the  truck parts places. Someone asked what happened. We were climbing a hill and apparently we lost the turbo charger. It caused the engine to hydraulic or something like that, I don't remember the name of it.

Do you mean that it hydrolocked, with diesel I assume? Usually that would be repairable without taking it out of frame. Likely some bent, cracked and washed out internals, depends what's cheaper.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Do you mean that it hydrolocked, with diesel I assume? Usually that would be repairable without taking it out of frame. Likely some bent, cracked and washed out internals, depends what's cheaper.

Thanks for clarifying..  Hydrolocked  makes more sense than “hydraulicking”.  Not besmirching the damage, just trying to understand it.  Makes more sense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Thanks for clarifying..  Hydrolocked  makes more sense than “hydraulicking”.  Not besmirching the damage, just trying to understand it.  Makes more sense.

I guess we are talking about someone else’s engine. Mine has a stuck tappet, and flat cam on the #2 hole. There wasn’t any hydro lock.

thanks for telling me about hydrolocked. I thought it had hydro in the word. The mechanic said there was water in the basement (oil pan) and all of the valve guides are stripped. Ken I was wondering where you came from. I knew I didn't answer these replies. Wish I only had a stuck tappet.

Montana Is a big state...there is a HUGE truck yard just north of Idaho Falls https://holsttruck.com/

They also have a shop that does just about everything.  It may be cheaper to flat bed the RV to them and get it done right.  Closer to home for sure.  

I have always felt like if I had to do this I would tell them to cut out the rear fiberglass and pull the engine with a fork lift. deal with a little glass and paint work after.  Most shops just say on to mohos, make it easy and you might find a deal.

Edited by Twomed
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, just_john1 said:

The mechanic said there was water in the basement (oil pan)

John - Did the mechanic say how water got into the engine?  I found this description of Hydrolocked - "A hydrolocked engine is one that has too much water in its cylinders, causing the pistons and other parts to seize immediately. That condition typically happens during floods and when water enters the engine's through the air intake or filter."

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:55 PM, Ken Thompson said:

I guess we are talking about someone else’s engine. Mine has a stuck tappet, and flat cam on the #2 hole. There wasn’t any hydro lock.

I'd think the tappet could be extracted and the bore sleeved.
Everything else is just parts.

17 hours ago, Twomed said:

Montana Is a big state...there is a HUGE truck yard just north of Idaho Falls https://holsttruck.com/

They also have a shop that does just about everything.  It may be cheaper to flat bed the RV to them and get it done right.  Closer to home for sure.  

I have always felt like if I had to do this I would tell them to cut out the rear fiberglass and pull the engine with a fork lift. deal with a little glass and paint work after.  Most shops just say on to mohos, make it easy and you might find a deal.

That is a thought.
The time saved in the mechanical swap could very well exceed the bodywork and paint to restore the cap.

15 hours ago, Bill R said:

John - Did the mechanic say how water got into the engine?  I found this description of Hydrolocked - "A hydrolocked engine is one that has too much water in its cylinders, causing the pistons and other parts to seize immediately. That condition typically happens during floods and when water enters the engine's through the air intake or filter."

That's the most common cause, but often a head gasket failure can leak coolant into the chamber.
I'd think it would have to be a major blowout though to leak enough to hydrolock a running engine.
Usually you get lots of white smoke, and after you shut it down for a bit, the pressurized cooling system fills the cylinder, and if you try to crank it again it won't turn over, or if you're really unlucky you bend a rod.

Interestingly, Top Fuel Nitromethane motors fill their cylinders with fuel so close to hydrolock, that a fuel distribution problem can overfill a cylinder, and blow the cylinder head clean off the motor.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:44 PM, just_john1 said:

I will call the the  truck parts places. Someone asked what happened. We were climbing a hill and apparently we lost the turbo charger. It caused the engine to hydraulic or something like that, I don't remember the name of it.

I know that you are getting a lot of comments, but an important clue is that you lost the turbo under fill power.  If the turbo broke apart, pieces could have gotten into the combustion chamber and pistons can't compress turbo parts.  Or if there was a huge sudden catastrophic turbo oil seal failure, engine oil would be dumped into the air intake causing a hydraulic lock because you can't compress oil. 

However, most turbo oil leak failures aren't that sudden and will typically cause a diesel engine runaway where the oil fuels the engine and you can't turn it off (if your engine is burning oil, better check to see if the turbo shaft seals are leaking oil into the air intake). 

Water hydrolock failures typically happen at engine startup where you have a bad head gasket or pin holes due to cavitation in the cylinder wall lining.  When the engine is turned off, the cylinder fills with water because coolant is still under pressure at shut down.  If that happens, the engine will hydrolock and not turn over the next time it's started.  

• Like 1