Radiator Leak

Looks like I've got a leak in or around my radiator. Appears to be dripping onto a plate at the bottom. Before I go randomly removing bts, are there fittings above that plate that could be leaking? Or am I looking at having to replace the whole radiator? 

20220927_162817.jpg

20220927_163650.jpg

Are you sure it's radiator fluid that's leaking? I also have a tranny cooler and Hydraulic cooler in front on the radiator. 

Most likely if it's the original radiator it's probably bad and will need replaced or rebuilt.  I would do a through inspection. On mine I can see from the fan side that my radiator is rotting away. I'm planning on changing it and having the cac pressure tested this winter. 20220605_123025.thumb.jpg.73ab73907bf7f1b38de799dc8d3a5a46.jpg

44 minutes ago, Yoaks5 said:

Are you sure it's radiator fluid that's leaking? I also have a tranny cooler and Hydraulic cooler in front on the radiator. 

Most likely if it's the original radiator it's probably bad and will need replaced or rebuilt.  I would do a through inspection. On mine I can see from the fan side that my radiator is rotting away. I'm planning on changing it and having the cac pressure tested this winter. 

So, no.  I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about all the things going on in the area.  Still new to all this and learning as I go.  I appear to have three sets of radiators, I assume the same three as you.  Judging by the wet spot on the one closest to the fan (second picture, taken from the fan side), I'm assuming that's the one that's leaking.  Hard to tell because the drip is coming from above the plate pictured above and I'm scared to remove it.  I just don't have time for a lot of work on it right now.  An Advanced Auto Parts down the road has the Irontite that Dr4Film suggested, so I'll be giving that a shot.

After looking at it again this morning I appear to have a lot of debris between the two large radiators.  How do y'all keep that clean?  Compressed air or a stick?  I knew to spray off the radiators but didn't know I needed to clean between them.

20220928_083845.thumb.jpg.d39fa9be2b428523d88993998fecea6c.jpg

20220928_0841422.thumb.jpg.e766950e49536680cbfc36005e6e4f66.jpg

I have a 2002 Dip ordered new.  Due to this forum and reading all the problems with factory installed aluminum radiators tried to solved my radiator from have leak problems.  When I "did" get a radiator leak I used Bars Stop Leak (two) into the system and drove the coach to get it flowing.  I had the radiator cap tight while doing this.  After getting a positive stop to the leak I then loosened the radiator cap so it would not build pressure.  I have 130k on my coach and never had temp exceed 210 deg for any lengthy time and no more leaks as the pressure within the radiator was low.  From the photos show a very dirty radiator.  I power wash mine with a 1500psi power washer 3-4 times a year with just plain water. 

7 hours ago, Adam_C said:

After looking at it again this morning I appear to have a lot of debris between the two large radiators.  How do y'all keep that clean?  Compressed air or a stick?  I knew to spray off the radiators but didn't know I needed to clean between them.

Adam - I had the same situation.  I used a jet nozzle on a water hose to slowly move all the debris out.  I figured out that there is a decent sized gap in between the CAC and Radiator at the bottom that will allow debris (leaves and pine needles) to be sucked into that space when going down the road.  When the fan is going at high speed there is a tremendous draw of air.  What I did was close those gaps with flashing.  Has worked like a champ.  And even will cause more air to flow through the entire stack instead of some bypassed through those spaces.  See pics below.  1st pic - debris.  2nd pic - cleaned.  3rd pic - one of the gaps sealed off with flashing.

Leaves on Radiator.jpg

Leaves cleaned from Rad.jpg

Gap Between Radiator and CAC Sealed.jpg

I would agree yours is most likely the same set up as mine. The one on mine that is closest to the fan is the main engine radiator. I'm guessing by the big wet spot, that it is leaking on the fins somewhere. You could try to catch some of the fluid and see if you can identify it. 

My biggest worry is breaking down on the road and having some unknown shop work on it. I know mine is rotting out and that is a common problem on these coaches. There is a good chance it might last longer but I just don't want to take the chance of it breaking on the road and not being able to get back home. So I'm replacing it this winter. It is not a cheap fix so if you need a new radiator be prepared. 

I don't have anything between my radiators that I can see. So not sure how to keep it clean. Just flush out as best as you can. Make sure your not missing parts of your shroud like Bill R was. 

Thanks all.  It's definitely coolant that's leaking.  I decided to try to spray the rear via the fan and just a normal garden hose damaged the fins.  Definitely sounds like it's time for a new radiator.  Hopefully Irontite will save the next couple of trips until I have time to replace it.

CG&J is definitely tempting, especially since they're only an hour and a half away, however after hearing the problems @jacwjamesand @Dr4Filmhave had I don't think I'll be using them.

Adam,

I drove another 5000 miles from northern British Columbia to Gadsden AL without losing another drop of coolant. The CG&J service techs were skeptical about reusing the new coolant I had installed but after it was removed and inspected, they agreed to use it over again.

I am a FIRM believer in using Irontite Coolant Stop Leak versus other brands.

18 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Adam,

I drove another 5000 miles from northern British Columbia to Gadsden AL without losing another drop of coolant. The CG&J service techs were skeptical about reusing the new coolant I had installed but after it was removed and inspected, they agreed to use it over again.

I am a FIRM believer in using Irontite Coolant Stop Leak versus other brands.

So are you saying you would recommend the CG&J radiator, if convenient?

8 minutes ago, Adam_C said:

So, are you saying you would recommend the CG&J radiator, if convenient?

Both Jim J. and I are not impressed with the quality of the radiators that they built for our 2002 Monaco Windsor's. 

If at all possible, I would try to use a more reputable shop. However, if you do decide to use CG&J then just be aware of what Jim & I have experienced with our radiators we got from them.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Both Jim J. and I are not impressed with the quality of the radiators that they built for our 2002 Monaco Windsor's. 

If at all possible, I would try to use a more reputable shop. However, if you do decide to use CG&J then just be aware of what Jim & I have experienced with our radiators we got from them.

So, where should we be getting our replacement radiators?

I had a very good experience with Radiator Supply House. The price is steep but about $1000 cheaper than what their competitor quoted me. Always be sure you ask what material the radiator is made of that someone is quoting you and be sure to stay away from aluminum even though the price may seem like a deal.