Dash dimmer and temp gauge

Biljol

So I noticed when climbing a hill on a hot night by changing the brightness of my dash lights the engine temp gauge would move by up or down by 10 degrees. Is this a indication of bad ground or bad power. I also have a jumpy tack and un reliable fuel gauge. 

when looking under the dash it seems all the grounds look good.

You are correct in diagnosing this as a bad ground. Check your grounding bar in the generator compartment. I found mine to be pretty dirty. I took it loose, filed the area clean again and reinstalled it. Problem went away. My coach has two ground bars, (that I've found so far) One in the genset and the other on the driver's side of the engine compartment. The genset one is on the frame rail, driver's side, up by the windshield wipers....Dennis

Bob, try this. Get to the back of the headlight/dimmer switch and run a separate wire to your ground. Ensure it's attached to a good spot on the frame. See if that makes your issue go away. It sounds like the switch ground is at fault. If the jumper wire works, trace the ground wire from the switch backwards. Monaco daisy chained most of the grounds behind the dash....Dennis

Thanks Dennis.

A couple of years ago I finally did attach a ground wire between the frame and the gauges. But  before I did that, I had been trying to find the ground buss behind the dash that folks kept mentioning, but never did find it. Now I'm just curious if there is  a ground buss bar on my coach so I'll once again go look where you suggested. = I hate defeat...   🙂

Don't know if you've ever gone and opened up the arm rest where your parking brake is...that is an experience. LOL Lots of goodies in there. I removed that entire plastic piece as it takes a beating every time you set and release the parking brake. Dumb design. I had a piece of aluminum cut to size and glued the plastic to it so it's really solid. I've got some pictures somewhere. I'll have to dig them out and post them. Prevents the plastic from breaking at the screw holes....Dennis

d

• 2 weeks later...

I have found 2 ground bus bars all connections look and feel tight. One in the dash area by the trip computer and one outside on the firewall.  Also my BlueFire of course dose not show the change in temp with the dimmer.

Now all I can guess is it’s a daisy chain issue.