Need help identifying an part on the air suspension on 96 exec

Guest Hinton8888

Guest Hinton8888

On a 96 exec the part in picture below is leaking it is connected directly into the rear air tank.  In the picture you see the bubbles from kids bubble soap.   Does anyone know what the part does and the part number?  I looked in the parts list and I cannot find it.   I am planning on driving 1000 miles in a couple of weeks am I safe to do so then replace the part.  Thanks steve 

62A8FE40-E6AA-463A-943D-2A54F9BD3417.jpeg

Can’t help with the part ID, but read your manual.  There is a section on a brake test that is easy to do.  Nothing more than your wrist watch.  If that test is OK, it is safe to drive.  But you can probably drive to any OTR Truck Repair shop and the will be able to identify.

The other method would be to use some degreaser like Bleech White (Tire soap that Walmart or AutoZone) or even paint thinner.  Clean it up.  Get the PN and add “Air” or “Air Brakes” to it and do a Google search.  You might find a manufacturer name stamped on it.

Others will probably chime in, but the IMPORTANT thing is for you to do the Brake Test.  If you don’t have the manual, google Monaco Coach Owners Manual.  Download the 2000 Exec.  The values and steps are all the same

Good Kuck

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

Looks like a PPV pressure protection valve to me.  I would not be afraid to drive it if you are maintaining pressure while driving.

Those are common valves available at big truck parts places.  Take it in and they will probably match it up.

16 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Looks like a PPV pressure protection valve to me.  I would not be afraid to drive it if you are maintaining pressure while driving.

Those are common valves available at big truck parts places.  Take it in and they will probably match it up.

X2 on this.

Early last year prior to a trip I went through and did a soapy water spray test on my air system, didn't find any leaks.  Then on a trip in Nov I noticed my air system leaking down overnight, it had never done that before.  It got progressively worse so I crawled under the coach and started spraying and found that all four of my PPV's were leaking.  Advise from members said I was OK so I continued my trip until the leaks go bad enough that in 30 minutes the pressure would drop from 120 to 40 psi when parked.  I became uncomfortable and decided to cut my trip short and made a B line home.

Here is a post I did on IRV2.com detailing the repair.  https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/pressure-protection-valve-on-air-tanks-leaking-562359.html

Easy repair, I took my time, the PPV's can be ordered from most auto parts stores, fairly cheap.  I also replaced other parts that I though could eventually fail and used new Push to Connect fittings figuring I could keep the old as spares.  One thing I found that all my PPV's were installed wrong, they were upside down, there is a drain hole in one end that is suppose to be down to allow for any condensation to drain.  This may have contributed to the failure as I took all of the ones apart that I took off and they all had rust/corrosion. 

Good luck

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

1 hour ago, Hinton8888 said:

Does anyone know what the part does

In case of a major air system leak or failure the PPV will protect the air supply for the brakes.  If air pressure drops to 60 / 65 psi the valve stops air flow to all other air systems.  The low air pressure alarm will sound alerting you to find a place to stop.  Your air compressor can keep up with quite a bit of leakage, most truck & coaches leak air.  If air pressure drops further (not sure at what psi) the parking brake will automatically apply.  There is a large spring that will apply the rear brakes (parking brk) unless air keeps the spring compressed.  So, if the alarm sounds you should look for a stopping place until you can determine that it's ok to continue.  I wouldn't want to be stuck on the highway with locked brakes.

Best advise is to remove the valve and take it to a truck parts supply shop. Don't worry about a part number as a new one may have a different number but will perform the same function. I would go with a Bendix or WABCO for manufactures. It is leaking because some part of it has failed. It will not get better on is own, only worse. I would expect to pay about $100 for the part. Well worth the peace of mind.

• 6 months later...
On 10/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, Hinton8888 said:

On a 96 exec the part in picture below is leaking it is connected directly into the rear air tank.  In the picture you see the bubbles from kids bubble soap.   Does anyone know what the part does and the part number?  I looked in the parts list and I cannot find it.   I am planning on driving 1000 miles in a couple of weeks am I safe to do so then replace the part.  Thanks steve 

62A8FE40-E6AA-463A-943D-2A54F9BD3417.jpeg

Moisture ejector maybe? The lines look wet. Any diesel repair shop should be able to have it or order it.