Ford Edge flat towing discussion and questions

2 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

You didn't state what year of the Ford Edge you saw being towed 4 down.

According to Ford, model years 2017 and earlier are safe to flat tow. However, from 2018 and newer they are not.

not sure it was close to mine is 2008 and we have all so a 2022 st edge

15 minutes ago, buzz shamer said:

hi all i Sean to day on the beltway a diesel pusher  flat towing a ford edge was wondering how they were doing it don't want to by another car any advice would be much  appreciated thanks buzz

I have a 2012 Edge and it can be flat towed.  I believe after 2013 the Edge was not flat towable.  But you may want to check for yourself.  If you go to www.motorhome.com, you can get back copies of "Guide to Dinghy Towing".

Had a 2012 Edge Limited that we flat towed. Transmission did fail for unknown reason. Keeping battery charged while towing was a challenge. 

Hi buzz,

Please take a look at your grammar and spelling, looks like you might be using a voice to text? Just like our signature lines providing basic information, clarity in text helps to understand your message.

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Ford Edge flat towing discussion and questions

I have a 2013 Ford Edge and flat tow it.  I installed a switch on the dash power fuse that turns the dash off and the battery has little to no draw.  There are some newer years that can't be towed.  You have to check the owners manual under "Recreational Towing"

3 hours ago, Larry Laursen said:

I have a 2013 Ford Edge and flat tow it.  I installed a switch on the dash power fuse that turns the dash off and the battery has little to no draw.  There are some newer years that can't be towed.  You have to check the owners manual under "Recreational Towing"

Larry's way to remove draw from the battery is a good one. 

I wanted to share the 2012 Edge that I just purchased and I flat tow, was already rigged when I bought it, and it has a 12vdc supply coming from my bus wired to the Edge battery through what I believe is a regulator box to keep the battery charged when flat towing.  

One thing I did find out is that it is a good idea to turn off the auto lights and auto sensing wipers before you start driving into rain and/or a storm.  My first experience towing this vehicle was just last week evacuating from the Tampa area to the southeast of Florida.  About 1.5 hours into the 4 hour drive, which turned into a 7 hour drive, wipers and lights started working while I was towing.  Due to the extreme weather from Ian's shift south, I just watched the lights and wipers operate in my rearview camera.  At the end of the trip the battery on my Edge was still fully charge, which proved to me the charging circuit, for the toad, from my bus, was working properly.  Very hard way to test equipment functionality!