Intellitec Multiplex System - What I Learned - Not That Complicated

Bill R
Go to solution Solved by Frank McElroy,

Just fixed a lighting issue on my 2006 Windsor.  With direction from Frank McElroy, I was able to understand my Multiplex System that allowed me to find the problem and the solution.  Many on this Forum know their Multiplex System, and I do now also.  It was not as complicated as I thought it might be.

The Problem - on my 8 switch Multiplex panel in the kitchen area I had one switch (DINE O'HD) that did not turn on any lights.  I was able to light all lights in the coach with all the other switches, including lights over the dining table, but the DINE O'HD switch didn't do anything.  

The CODE ID - Every switch has an alphanumeric code that relates to one of the three respective switch module by letter (E, D or F) and number relating to the module switch number (1-8).  i.e., D2, E5, F7, etc.  The modules for my coach are mounted in a cabinet in the closet next to the 120V panel.  Every time a switch is activated, a corresponding LED will be lit on the respective module switch location.    Many electrical diagrams will have these codes on a 120V lighting diagram.   I did not have one, so I went through each switch and documented each switch code.

The Fix - the DINE O'HD switch did not have a corresponding LED light up on any of the Multiplex modules when selected.  However, since I had labeled every switch that did light an LED, there was one LED (code D5), that was not lighting up and had a wire output.  Pulling the fuse, it was blown.  Putting in a new fuse, the LED lit up when pushing DINE O'HD, but still no change to any lights.  WindsorBill of this forum, has the exact same coach, and helped me identify that the DINE O'HD switch was for two puck lights over the dining table.  However, these were lighting up as well as a surface mounted light in between the two when the DINE LT switch was selected.  Apparently the DINE LT switch should only light the one surface mounted light about the dining table.  Frank McElroy and I presumed that at one time the two puck lights were not lighting because of the D5 blown fuse and as a fix they were wired into the DINE LT circuit.  Pulling up the base panel in the overhead cabinets for these lights exposing the wires, that is exactly what was done.  Rewiring the puck lights back into the circuit of the obvious abandoned wires (btw, same color wire as the one coming out of the D5 switch location of the Multiplex module, as you would expect) the two puck lights worked on the DINE O'HD switch.  Problem solved and FIXED.

The Learning - The coding of the Multiplex system is not difficult.  Documenting the Multiplex switch codes is important if you do not have a wiring diagram that shows them.  This will help tremendously when trying to narrow down an electrical issue in your Multiplex Lighting System.  

Thank you again to Frank and WindsorBill for the help.

I just wish the computer program was more available. Would nice to back up and make changes without having to drive hundreds of miles out of my way for the few who still have the ability to access the program. Even RV dealers that use to sell Monaco's don't have access to it.

• Solution
1 hour ago, Bill R said:

Just fixed a lighting issue on my 2006 Windsor.  With direction from Frank McElroy, I was able to understand my Multiplex System that allowed me to find the problem and the solution.  Many on this Forum know their Multiplex System, and I do now also.  It was not as complicated as I thought it might be.

The Problem - on my 8 switch Multiplex panel in the kitchen area I had one switch (DINE O'HD) that did not turn on any lights.  I was able to light all lights in the coach with all the other switches, including lights over the dining table, but the DINE O'HD switch didn't do anything.  

The CODE ID - Every switch has an alphanumeric code that relates to one of the three respective switch module by letter (E, D or F) and number relating to the module switch number (1-8).  i.e., D2, E5, F7, etc.  The modules for my coach are mounted in a cabinet in the closet next to the 120V panel.  Every time a switch is activated, a corresponding LED will be lit on the respective module switch location.    Many electrical diagrams will have these codes on a 120V lighting diagram.   I did not have one, so I went through each switch and documented each switch code.

The Fix - the DINE O'HD switch did not have a corresponding LED light up on any of the Multiplex modules when selected.  However, since I had labeled every switch that did light an LED, there was one LED (code D5), that was not lighting up and had a wire output.  Pulling the fuse, it was blown.  Putting in a new fuse, the LED lit up when pushing DINE O'HD, but still no change to any lights.  WindsorBill of this forum, has the exact same coach, and helped me identify that the DINE O'HD switch was for two puck lights over the dining table.  However, these were lighting up as well as a surface mounted light in between the two when the DINE LT switch was selected.  Apparently the DINE LT switch should only light the one surface mounted light about the dining table.  Frank McElroy and I presumed that at one time the two puck lights were not lighting because of the D5 blown fuse and as a fix they were wired into the DINE LT circuit.  Pulling up the base panel in the overhead cabinets for these lights exposing the wires, that is exactly what was done.  Rewiring the puck lights back into the circuit of the obvious abandoned wires (btw, same color wire as the one coming out of the D5 switch location of the Multiplex module, as you would expect) the two puck lights worked on the DINE O'HD switch.  Problem solved and FIXED.

The Learning - The coding of the Multiplex system is not difficult.  Documenting the Multiplex switch codes is important if you do not have a wiring diagram that shows them.  This will help tremendously when trying to narrow down an electrical issue in your Multiplex Lighting System.  

Thank you again to Frank and WindsorBill for the help.

Thanks for the kind words.  You are correct.  Systems without the CPU's really are not that complicated once you understand how they work.  For your system, you were able to methodically figure out each keypad code, identify the blown fuse and identify where the previous owner basically modified the wiring to fix a blown fuse.  Your solution has now fixed your coach to factory new condition.  Well done!!!

1 hour ago, Old Dog said:

I just wish the computer program was more available. Would nice to back up and make changes without having to drive hundreds of miles out of my way for the few who still have the ability to access the program. Even RV dealers that use to sell Monaco's don't have access to it.

There are at least two members on this group who have software access to the Keypad modules and the CPU module.  Offline contact Paul Whittle or myself.