Clock in Bedroom Power Issues

Joe Lee

Hi Fellow Travelers!

I have a ‘96 Signature and my built-in bedroom clock has started to flash only minutes after I set the time. It’s like it’s loosing power, but I’m hooked up to 50 amp. 

I couldn’t find anything in the forum about this problem. 

All ideas are appreciated!

Joe636330E0-4A68-4288-8A39-1BC6E15C5113.thumb.jpeg.0fab7a831be43fcb53ca6e6d16df2db9.jpeg

Just a generic guess.  Digital Clock displays are not guaranteed for life.  If you pull off the panel, then trace the two wires that feed it.  Odds are, that it gets power from one of your switches on the main panel.  If that switch works or whatever device it controls is working OK, then there is a glitch in the clock’s circuit board or LED display.  The OTHER trick would be to removed the poster wires from where they are connected and turn it off or leave it unpowered for a day or so.  Then repower.  Maybe it got a stray dirty DC signal and is unhappy.

If not…then it is probably “broken”.  Would have NO idea where to find an OEM replacement.  You can do an online search for 12 VDC clocks.  Amazon has a variety, but not with the alarm functions you have.  Boating gauge or supply houses may have some.  When you pull the panel, you may find a vendor or manufacturer but don’t expect a miracle.  

Your other option would be to get a back anodized piece of aluminum or plastic and use the holes or double stick tape and cover the opening.  

Good luck.  Let us know.  Others may have creative solutions to disguise.  With an alarm on every phone, a simple digital display might be the best compromise.

Did you foget to wind it?

Sorry, Tom is spot on and I would like to add that you should consider measuring the voltage across the wires that feed the clock. I suspect the clock is tired.

Measure the clock and do a search for a digital clock. You may be surprised what you find. 

Here is a simple example. E-Bay digital clock

Edited by myrontruex

Duh!  I enjoy this group!  Thanks, Myron, for the idea to test voltage at the clock. Seems I could’ve figured that out for myself! Ha, ha, ha ha!

I really appreciate all the support. I have a lot to learn still.

Hi Tom

I have a 2001 signature. The problems I have had with this clock has been resolved by removing floor of cabinet behind clock.  Track wires from clock to connection. There are speed nuts on them, remove power wire for 10 seconds reconnect wire, it resets it I guess but has resolved such problems two times in the five years I have had my bus. Hope this helps ( Good Luck )

Steve