Time for a washing machine

Flyinhy

Well, the time has come to plan to install a washer/dryer. The previous owner took the splindide out at some point and capped the waterline. He/she installed shelving in its place. It just seems to me getting the washing machine in the door and in the closet will be extremely difficult. Will I have to disassemble the new washer to a certain degree to get in? Also, do I need to install a pan for it to sit in? 

Also, according to the build sheet this thing had an icemaker at one time and you can see the holes in the floor where it was installed. Does anyone still have one and what does it look like. I don't want one , I was just curious to see how big this thing was. 

Hi Charles,

Don't know about washer or ice maker, but I have an ice maker in fridge . I don't drink the water from hose so I don't use the ice maker.  I use a portable ice maker with bottled water.  I get the 5 gal. at publixs.  It works great. I sit in on my dash out of the way. You do have to transfer the ice and it can stick together, but I always have ice with clean water.

tj

I think you will find the Splendide will go in the entry door just fine, not to say it won't be difficult.  It is heavy and unwieldy, but we have done it several times.  We have an ice maker in our residential frig, and we drink the water and use the ice and have been doing so for more than 14 years full time in this coach alone, we have the double filter that was installed in our coach and the frig has another filter for the water and ice, so far so good.

• Thanks 1

I removed the Bendix washer/dryer in our '98 Patriot and did the shelving thing in that cabinet.  To get the unit through the little hallway, I had to remove the doors from the Norcold 1200 reefer.  It could have been forced but I didn't want to risk scratching the walnut woodwork.  It was a bitch for 2 of us to lift up and over the passenger seat to get it out through the door and down the steps!

Dennis

2 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

Well, the time has come to plan to install a washer/dryer. The previous owner took the splindide out at some point and capped the waterline. He/she installed shelving in its place. It just seems to me getting the washing machine in the door and in the closet will be extremely difficult. Will I have to disassemble the new washer to a certain degree to get in? Also, do I need to install a pan for it to sit in? 

Also, according to the build sheet this thing had an icemaker at one time and you can see the holes in the floor where it was installed. Does anyone still have one and what does it look like. I don't want one , I was just curious to see how big this thing was. 

Take it from someone who has been there and done that.  We were full-timers for over 6 years.  We had a W/D in our coach.  The cloths capacity was small, the entire wash/dry cycle was long, and you had to have access to water and sewer.  Most all the private owned RV parks had a washer and dryer room.  It was easier for us to use the W/D at those parks.  We loaded up several washers and then dryers at the same time so the time it took for one cycle all our wash was done and dried.  The money you would pay for a W/D would cover the park laundry expense for several years.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

My wife and I are of the opposite opinion as Chuck B.  We have installed Splendide washer/dryer combo's in our last 3 motorhomes.  We neither one like RV park laundry facilities and even more dislike commercial laundromats.  The combo units do have limitations: they do small loads and take a while to dry (they only have a 1200 watt heating element).  But, once you get used to using them, we find it much more convenient than other options.  You do of course have to have full hookups, but that is what my wife prefers (she is not a boondocking type person).  I do recommend that if you are installing a new one that you go with the vented model.  (The unvented model that relies on condensation drying takes much longer than the vented model.)  They are a bit of a struggle to get thru the door and down the hall to install, but we believe they are well worth the trouble.  So, as with residential and absorption refrigerators, you will find differing opinions as to what people prefer (we put in a residential fridge and love it).

Richard   

Sorry Charles!

I got to honking on and forgot to answer your questions.  I managed to install the Splendides in 3 coaches without having to do any disassembly of the units (1 was a replacement of a failed unit, the other 2 were virgin installs).  I did put the plastic pans under the units to catch any drips or leakage (wasn't really necessary, but it is like buying insurance).

Richard  

• Like 1

In reference to your other comment about ice makers.  It was common in the vintage of your motorhome to install U-line brand ice makers (you can do an internet search on U-line to see what they looked lie).  They were a bit failure prone and replacement parts were prohibitively expensive (a common appliance ice maker replacement unit was about $100, the U-line replacement was $500).  So, when they failed most people just took them out.  There are much better options today for ice makers in RV's than there were 20 years ago.  The Samsung compressor type fridge I installed in my motorhome has a built in ice maker that works very well, so I wouldn't consider other options.

Richard 

Previously we had a W/D combo in our 5th wheel.  It was great for the room we had.  In our Windsor, the previous owner replaced the original Splendid W/D combo with a separate GE Washer and Dryer.  There was room above the washer to install the dryer.  Of course you need the right size units and the dryer has to be 120V.

For us, having a separate washer and dryer is soooo much better.  Larger loads, cycle times are much quicker and the clothes get dry.  I don't think I would ever go back to a combo although I know they serve there purpose for many.

Just our personal experience.

I was taking measurements in my 05 HR Ambassador DST to figure out the easiest way to get a washer in the rear bathroom when needed. I felt the easiest way was to remove the rear bedroom window and the washer would just fit. Since I went for years without the dryer working, I bought a Panda dryer from Amazon. It fit through the front door and everything else to the rear bathroom.

Gary 05 AMB DST

This forum is fantastic! I followed the advise of removing the passenger seat, then I slid it into place using an upside down mat and I did it completely by myself. She came in the door with very little room to spare using my knees as leverage points. (That was the hardest part)  She slid across the tile and carpet like melted butter. I didn't know part of the rear closet was removeable so you can access the rear of the machine while you're installing it. That made it so much easier. The splindide  washer/dryer combo is a little pricey 20221015_132654.thumb.jpg.ed9069507f09fb0c0f49be152adf9064.jpgbut I'm just not that crazy about going to the laundry mat after work and certainly there are some strange characters at the local Suds & Such .....so, time will tell if it was worth it. Thanks for the advise guys......

Ref; flyinhy; 

After careful measuring of the closet inside space and also obtaining measurements of the Splydein combo unit from on line, I purchased Whirlpool apartment size washer dryer set on line very cheap, ($1150) back in 2020. Because of all the traveling, never had time to install. Well, 2022, cost of living rose, along with fuel prices. Ok, time to install that set during less rv'n. I did not have to remove anything to get the units up and through the rv, BUTTTT, I did needed a strong young helper, (thank goodness for those grandsons), helper for lifting. My rv was plumbed for the Splydiine washer combo from the factory, which also was the tall closet. Installed the washer first for fitment, and found that a plastic tub for the bottom would not fit, "you just cross your fingers and hopes you never have a leak" situation, or re-construct the bottom of the closet, no it was not a option for me. Secured the washer from the rear using extended band to the closets 1.5" studs, plus the weight of the dryer above would aide in not tipping over. Really nervous about drilling a hole through the exterior wall, ("whew"),. Also to aid in tipp prevention, I made support brackets out of 1/8th" aluminum, being held to the closes rack and riveted to the top of the dryer, that puppy's going nowhere. I will include as many pics as I can below, follw along

washer install.jpg

washerinstall1.jpg

washerinstall2.jpg

washerinstall3.jpg

closetventexcess.jpg

closetventexcess.jpg

closetwallexcessventscut.jpg

backofwasher.jpg

excessventhole.jpg

patternfordryervent.jpg

holecutthruexteriorwallfordryervent.jpg

dryerventcoveroutside.jpg