Losing Industry Tradesmen & Parts Resources

3 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Would this mobile tech be in North Georgia by any chance?  Someday I'm going to need someone and mobile techs are popping out of the woodwork (thanks to online training academies).  A GOOD tech is worth their weight.  Waiting on a shop appointment is ludicrous. 

This tech was in Auburn, CA. Byron was about to retire back in 2018 when he helped me, and had no web presence so could only be found via word of mouth and was still pretty busy. I'd be surprised if he's still working. He'd be great at phone assistance though, when he told me how to remove the furnace and blower motor he described exactly the screws that needed to be removed and which direction to remove the motor. It was obvious he'd done it hundreds of times.

7 hours ago, jimc99999 said:

This tech was in Auburn, CA. Byron was about to retire back in 2018 when he helped me, and had no web presence so could only be found via word of mouth and was still pretty busy. I'd be surprised if he's still working. He'd be great at phone assistance though, when he told me how to remove the furnace and blower motor he described exactly the screws that needed to be removed and which direction to remove the motor. It was obvious he'd done it hundreds of times.

I don't disagree, it would be great if someone could figure how to keep these experts "available" on a remote basis that makes sense financially for both parties. Until then, we'll always have Youtube...  🙂

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+remove+rv+furnace

What we have always done at Talin is provide free tech support. Because we are a small company we are able to get to know our customers on a personal level. Ever since I started Talin my commitment has always been to provide free tech support to our customers. Once a coach owner rolls on to our lot for service work they become part of our family. Either myself, Bethany or Dustin will field tech support calls and help customers troubleshoot or provide advice with a coach problem. It may take us 24 - 48 hours to get back to someone but we always contact them and provide free advice/consulting.

Tech support is very time consuming. One phone call can take Bethany, Dustin or myself away from a job for half an hour or more and sometimes results in multiple phone calls, face timing, etc.. We enjoy giving tech support but we are limited by our workload during the day. ( And yes, Bethany provides tech support as she has a large knowledge base with coaches, especially Guardian Plates ).

I can speak for 2 of my buddies in regards to providing tech support. Both left the RV industry and both have full time jobs. They also have families and live very busy lives and neither are interested in providing tech support. Both of them are also burnt out after spending decades in the RV Industry. I really do not know what the answer is. Service centers are getting to the point where they are booked out months in advance. If they are a high quality repair facility they have serious appointment availability issues. It is great for the business owner but sucks for coach owners. Mobile techs are a hit and miss adventure. 2 of them in our area have gone out of business. Dave Pratt's mobile RV tech also left the industry. The economics of mobile RV is just not there when considering time spent driving, not having inventory of parts on the truck, etc. which requires more driving. There are also a lot of inexperienced mobile techs out there who graduated from tech school who just do not have the experience yet. I have seen the syllabus of these tech schools and graduates leave school with basic skills and nothing more. The skill sets needed takes years to develop in order to turn into a good tech. I have been at it for 2 decades and I am still learning.

There are a couple of guys who provide phone tech support for a fee. I know nothing about them or their service. Have not heard how customers experiences have been after using them. This is why I say that this forum is extremely important to Monaco owners. We have some very talented and knowledgeable members here who provide a great deal of tech support. Many of you also do not know that we have a dedicated moderator staff who spends time on the phone assisting members with tech advice. We are extremely lucky to have what we have here. It is one major reason why I have supported Bill D, Fred White and Dave Pratt all these years.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, throgmartin said:

We have some very talented and knowledgeable members here who provide a great deal of tech support. Many of you also do not know that we have a dedicated moderator staff who spends time on the phone assisting members with tech advice. We are extremely lucky to have what we have here. It is one major reason why I have supported Bill D, Fred White and Dave Pratt all these years.

Yes we do, and that list is growing.  I am constantly surprised at the level and number of smart members here, and they all get along now, well nearly everyone does.  😇

The owner, administrators, and moderators are the best.  I know it take an enormous amount of time and effort on their part.  A great big thanks to each one of you. 👈

I doubt that I actually influenced anyone, but it did seem to me that when I & others would mention Bill D's Monacoers on other forums we would get new members here.  Whatever brought them here I think it's a good thing. They bring new blood and welcome knowledge.  👍